Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Boston Acoustics or Polk Audio?

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

Boston Acoustics or Polk Audio?

This question is answered

I'm looking at getting car speakers for my 1992 Lumina, but I don't want to spend a fortune. My car has 4x6 in the dash and 6x9 in the rear deck.

I was looking at the BA SE95 and SE75 for my car, but since BA is getting out of the car audio industry, I don't know if I should carry on with them..

If I go Polk Audio (db461p & db691) I will be buying them somewhere else for >$150 for both sets.

I also thought about buying db401 and db651 from Crutchfield and then just using the brackets they give me. Either way, I'm going to have to drill into my rear deck sheet metal to install the rear speakers..

Any feedback would be awesome! I want to spend >$150.

[edited by: bandball50 at 11:12 AM (GMT -5) on Mon, Apr 23 2012]

1992 Chevy Lumina Euro 2-dr Coupe, Kenwood KDC-X596, Polk Audio db461p (dash), db651 (rear deck), db1222 subs (not installed)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150681137401334.389826.524471333&type=3&l=35ed826c1a
Verified Answer
  • geez this is tough to answer...

is there any reason you have limited yourself to these 2 brands?  might find better sound elsewhere.  not gonna beat you up on your choices since they are both great, but their are a lot of great brands.  my best suggestion is to go and listen to as many speakers as you can before making up your mind.  buying from CF makes installation easier tho (they provide everything you need when your order reaches a reasonable amount), and you may not be able to find the speakers that meet your needs at local places.  but final decision should be based on what your own 2 ears like most, which may be some other brand entirely. 

BTW i'm no industry insider, but i don't think BA is getting out of the mobile audio biz.  i like their stuff, and would have no reservations about buying them.  they're one of the better brands, at present.  Polk is good, too.  plenty of other players in that price range tho... might want to check out some entry-level JL Audio and infinity is popular as well... and the list goes on and on...

All Replies
  • geez this is tough to answer...

is there any reason you have limited yourself to these 2 brands?  might find better sound elsewhere.  not gonna beat you up on your choices since they are both great, but their are a lot of great brands.  my best suggestion is to go and listen to as many speakers as you can before making up your mind.  buying from CF makes installation easier tho (they provide everything you need when your order reaches a reasonable amount), and you may not be able to find the speakers that meet your needs at local places.  but final decision should be based on what your own 2 ears like most, which may be some other brand entirely. 

BTW i'm no industry insider, but i don't think BA is getting out of the mobile audio biz.  i like their stuff, and would have no reservations about buying them.  they're one of the better brands, at present.  Polk is good, too.  plenty of other players in that price range tho... might want to check out some entry-level JL Audio and infinity is popular as well... and the list goes on and on...

• CF rep said that they are on sale because BA is getting out of the car audio market

1992 Chevy Lumina Euro 2-dr Coupe, Kenwood KDC-X596, Polk Audio db461p (dash), db651 (rear deck), db1222 subs (not installed)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150681137401334.389826.524471333&type=3&l=35ed826c1a
  • bandball50

CF rep said that they are on sale because BA is getting out of the car audio market

i'm not in-touch with CF reps, so i'm not savvy to the same info they have.  but that doesn't mean the warranty wouldn't be covered.  i mean... it's Crutchfield... they wouldn't sell anything they didn't guarantee.  that's pretty much how they got to be so big. 

be a shame tho, if that were true... i genuinely hope that's not the case

• Boston Acoustics is the only car audio manufacturer i'm aware of that sells passive radiators that are the same size as the sub.  it's normally required that passive radiators be larger than the sub.  so, at least in that sense, they have been innovators in car audio.  i don't think they were big sellers tho compared to the amount of engineering that must have been required to make a "same size as sub" passive radiator work.  probably was a bit too unbelievable for ppl that understand what a passive radiator is.  always admired them for introducing it tho, cuz i like any manufacturer that offers something ground-breaking (never heard them either... bcuz the stigma made me believe that same-size passive radiators would make them ineffectual... and i can't say whether they were or not).

besides that, they're full-range speakers are quite good for the price, making them almost a budget "premium brand."  and their amps were nothing to sneeze at, either... especially the 5+ channel ones.

if BA is getting out of the biz, i'd guess it's more due to the economy than a lack of making quality gear.  ppl are more concerned with just making their car payment these days rather than how to spend more money on a stereo.

• I was more looking at if I get BA speakers, they won't have the same kind of subs. I'm a person that likes same brand items.

• there's absolutely no reason you will get better results that way.  buy great speakers, you will have great speakers.  buy a great sub, you will have a great sub.  there's no un-biased literature i'm aware of (EDIT: manufacturer literature will occasionally state this as if it is an industry accepted fact) that says having the same brand for both will yield better results, and much to say quite the opposite.  buy the speakers you like, and don't think of brand.  be a shame if i gave up my Diamond Audio 6.5" components for JL Audio components, ONLY bcuz i'm running JL subs... they match perfectly (well, JL subs are just good subs... but i don't like their tweets, personally) despite being totally different brands. 

imagine a world where one manufacturer made great subs and another manufacturer made great tweeters... (kinda like the world we live in).  why would putting the two together make for anything other than an improvement in sound?

[edited by: J Ro at 8:48 PM (GMT -5) on Mon, Apr 23 2012] red text added
  • http://community.crutchfield.com/forums/t/23610.aspx

I'm not big on having every brand match, but there are some advantages - namely in making sure things are compatible.  A lot of car audio amps claim to be 600W and in reality might only put out 60W RMS or so.  However, if you buy a 600W amp and a 600W sub from the same company, you can be moderately sure they will work together - even if the amp and sub only handle 60W RMS ...

Otherwise, I don't think it's a requirement, though.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Agreed with what J Ro is saying. I personally would never want to have all the same components in my car. I love JVC HU's but would never get a JVC sub (I have yet to hear/find one I like). I wouldn't put a Pioneer sub in my truck either but there speakers are amazing for the price. Polk makes some of the best speakers out there right now IMO and there subs are pretty good so I would probably match those if I were to go for matching speakers and subs. BA speakers are good to and I love them almost as much as Polk but when it comes to bass response I take the Polk's any day of the week. Polk speakers to me are a little bit more well rounded than the BA's so I'd say go for those. I do have to say it, buying from CF might actually save you some cash because of all the stuff they give you for an install plus lifetime tech support for the product. But I'm not saying you should only buy here sometimes you can find better deals elsewhere. But again you can't beat CF's tech support and install accessories. So the choice is yours.

GMC Sonoma, JVC KD-A95BT, 2 Pioneer TS-D601P in doors, 2 Pioneer TS-G4644R in dash, 2 JL W3v2-D2 10 inch subs, Lightning Audio B4.250.2, Soundstream TX1.1300D

• I can tell you that Boston Acoustics is getting out of the 12 volt industry. We are supposed to be getting another shipment of the SE95 speakers, and the SE75 speakers we have plenty of stock left on them. If you do buy BA speakers you will still get the full manufacturer's warranty. BA speakers are one of my favorites, and are a go-to model for me as well.

I'm not sure what you will be using to power the speakers, but the high efficiency design on the Boston Acoustics makes them a great choice in a variety of applications.

Anyone else have a suggestion?

• Daisy_Ext4141
    I can tell you that Boston Acoustics is getting out of the 12 volt industry.

thanx, Daisy.  what a shame tho... i hope that doesn't become a trend.  surely it's due to the economy, cuz BA made some great stuff that compared well to pricier equipment.  i'd still buy them, tho, especially from CF.  the warranty will absolutely be honored, regardless of whether or not the manufacturer still makes the specific model.  but honestly, now that i have confirmation that BA is going goodbye, there will probably be a lot of close-out price-cuts coming soon... so maybe wait on the purchase until a sale price arrives.  you might land a real bargain, cuz those BA speakers are definitely a good choice even at retail.