Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Should I eliminate factory sub

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

Should I eliminate factory sub

This question is answered

Just upgraded my factory stereo with the Pioneer AVH P2400 BT and the sound ordnance b-8p sub. Now that I have real power to my factory sub it vibrates the grille terribly. Should I eliminate the factory sub or not? Can I reduce the power to it with the EQ in the head unit or will that reduce the power to the sub as well. If I do unplug the factory sub will it damage the amp in the hu. Any suggestions would be helpful. Forgot to add that this is a 2002 Toyota Avalon w/factory JBL system and I am using the wiring provided by Crutchfield that continues to use the factory amp

[edited by: kato tunes at 10:51 PM (GMT -5) on Tue, May 8 2012]
Verified Answer
  • So you replaced the factory HU and kept your factory speakers connected to the factory amp? If thats the case I would just disconnect factory sub seeing as how you have installed the SO b-8p. You won't damage anything by not running power to your factory subwoofer.

Pretty sure I understand how you setup is right now....anyone else think otherwise?? Hope this helps!

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Alpine iDA-305SBT w/Imprint; SPR-60C Front; SPR-60 Rear; 2 JL 10w1v2; Alpine PDX-5

All Replies
  • So you replaced the factory HU and kept your factory speakers connected to the factory amp? If thats the case I would just disconnect factory sub seeing as how you have installed the SO b-8p. You won't damage anything by not running power to your factory subwoofer.

Pretty sure I understand how you setup is right now....anyone else think otherwise?? Hope this helps!

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Alpine iDA-305SBT w/Imprint; SPR-60C Front; SPR-60 Rear; 2 JL 10w1v2; Alpine PDX-5

• If your factory sub is still being powered by the same stock JBL amp, it should be recieving the same power. The EQ to the factory sub might be changed by the settings of the new head, I'm not sure. Do you have the subwoofer RCA preouts connected to the S/O sub ? Do you have the highpass and lowpass crossover filters enabled in the new head audio settings menu ? If so, what are they set at ?

I am sure I would disconnect the factory sub.

GLH Geeked

• Disconnect it.  You might want to tape over the connector that plugged into the factory sub so there is no possibility of it shorting out, but otherwise, no worries!

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• I do have the RCA pre-outs from the HU connected to the sub. I believe I had the lowpass crossover set at 83hz but unfortunately my S/O sub quit after 4 days and it is on it's way back to Crutchfield for replacement. I don't think think there is a highpass setting in the HU but if there is what should it be set at once I get my sub hooked back up?

• For starters, set your lowpass at 80 hz and your highpass at 125 hz. You might want to change 1 of them at a time to 100 and see how it sounds, but usually, with the Pioneer heads, 125hz highpass and 80hz lowpass seem to move the soundstage frontwards, in vehicles I've had experience dealing with where there are 4 full range speakers and a single sub. If you go higher than 80 hz on the lowpass, it usually starts to give away the sub location. If you go lower than 125 hz on the highpass, the sound starts moving down and back. Just been my experience.

GLH Geeked

• Thanks, I will try those settings once I get my new sub from CF