Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Removing factory stereo in 2005 Subaru Forester

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

Removing factory stereo in 2005 Subaru Forester

This question is answered

Hi!  I am a single mom...  my teenager is just about to get his drivers license.  I am worried about him messing around with his ipod and FM transmitter while driving.  I was considering purchasing a Dual XHD7714.  I would like us to put this in together, but I am REALLY concerned about pulling the old one out.  I was hoping my father would be willing to help, but he is really unsupportive on this matter, so I am asking for advise.

1. how hard is it going to be to pull out the old stereo.  Not a changer, just the factory single CD player.

2. how hard is it going to be to put the new one in.

3. how hard is it going to be to put it all back together. 

4. should I just pay someone to do it? 

Thank you for any advice!  ~patty

Verified Answer
    1. The install is fairly straight forward, and shouldn't require anything more than a phillips screwdriver and a couple hours of free time (depending on how mechanically inclined you are.) That said, whether or not you have auto or manual climate control will change the complexity and time required for the install.
    2. Installing the new HU is simple. Making the wiring connections from the HU to the vehicle will require a soldering iron and solder or a crimper/stripper and crimp caps in addition to the HU, dash kit/pocket and wiring harness. Once the wiring harnesses are connected, you will need to unscrew the metal brackets off the old HU and mount them to the new HU and plastic pocket. After those two steps are completed, just reverse the uninstall process and you are finished.
    3. Putting it back together is usually easier than taking it apart!
    4. Depends on whether you feel comfortable, and how mechanically inclined you are. The entire process is nothing more than prying off a few panels, disconnecting the HVAC cables (if you have the manual controls), removing a few screws, connecting some wires, and putting it all back together.

• If you decide to do it yourself, or would like more details on the specifics of the removal/installation process to help make your decision, let us know!

02 BMW 330Ci

Alpine DVA-9965, and a mix of stuff

12 Ford F-150

In progress: Pioneer DEH-80PRS HU -> DLS RA40 amp -> Seas G18RNX woofers & SB Acoustics SB29 tweeters

All Replies
    1. The install is fairly straight forward, and shouldn't require anything more than a phillips screwdriver and a couple hours of free time (depending on how mechanically inclined you are.) That said, whether or not you have auto or manual climate control will change the complexity and time required for the install.
    2. Installing the new HU is simple. Making the wiring connections from the HU to the vehicle will require a soldering iron and solder or a crimper/stripper and crimp caps in addition to the HU, dash kit/pocket and wiring harness. Once the wiring harnesses are connected, you will need to unscrew the metal brackets off the old HU and mount them to the new HU and plastic pocket. After those two steps are completed, just reverse the uninstall process and you are finished.
    3. Putting it back together is usually easier than taking it apart!
    4. Depends on whether you feel comfortable, and how mechanically inclined you are. The entire process is nothing more than prying off a few panels, disconnecting the HVAC cables (if you have the manual controls), removing a few screws, connecting some wires, and putting it all back together.

• If you decide to do it yourself, or would like more details on the specifics of the removal/installation process to help make your decision, let us know!

02 BMW 330Ci

12 Ford F-150

In progress: Pioneer DEH-80PRS HU -> DLS RA40 amp -> Seas G18RNX woofers & SB Acoustics SB29 tweeters

• Ninja pretty well nailed the removal and install - as usual - just a couple more points ....

JNPWarner
    I am worried about him messing around with his ipod and FM transmitter while driving.

That is a valid concern, but keep in mind that the new head unit (HU) (radio) doesn't make this MUCH easier.  You can press the buttons on the HU to select songs and see them on the display rather than the Ipod and it won't fall in your lap or under your feet while you are changing songs, but it still can be a MAJOR distraction for an inexperienced driver.  (or otherwise - I got in an accident watching the display on a newly installed CD player years ago - and I was far from a teenager then).

I was considering purchasing a Dual XHD7714.

Dual would not be the first brand that I would consider, but I don't have first-hand experience with them.  For a similar price, I think you will get much better quality with Alpine, Pioneer, JVC, or Kenwood.

Again - post back if you have more questions!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Duel was not my first choice either...  however it got pretty good reviews.  I like the blue tooth option, although I really do not want him using it or even the cell phone at all.   He already distracts too easily.  I'll take a look at the others you recommended. (I had a Pioneer way back when.  My HS boyfriend insisted I needed it...  btw, it was purchased from Crutchfield!)

Still concerned about the removal process.  As long as the dash does not have to be taken apart, I think I will be ok.  Thank you for your help.

~patty

• Do you have the automatic or manual HVAC controls?

[edited by: Ninja1283 at 2:52 AM (GMT -5) on Tue, Nov 3 2009]

02 BMW 330Ci

12 Ford F-150

•  

Dual has one of the best feature sets and they have gotten good reviews.  I can't give you a really good reason that I don't like them, but I personally don't.

Bluetooth could be added to a lot of stereo's, but it costs a good bit more unless you specifically look for it.  Great feature if your cel phone will pair with it and if you plan to use the cel phone in the car.

Good and bad news on the radio install - Metra only sells a pocket - no kit for it, so removal and install and no more difficult than installing a replacement factory radio.  That also means they don't have detailed instructions on it, but you will get those from CF.

(If you're really nervous, you can buy the CF Mastersheets for your car for around $10 and that gets credited back if you buy the radio within 30 days.  Or just buy the radio and when it comes you can decide if you are up to installing it yourself - it shouldn't cost much more than $50-75 to install locally - CF also sells InstallNet cards for that as well).

As far as Ninja's question, here is a picture of the Forrester from Edmunds with manual climate controls:

I can't find a picture with electronic HVAC controls, but it would have a temperature setting - keep the car at 69 degrees or 71 degrees and often that control is integrated into the radio, so it is a much harder if not impossible install - Here's a thread on the 1999 Taurus with EHVAC, which was notorious for this.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• TigerHeli
    I can't find a picture with electronic HVAC controls, but it would have a temperature setting - keep the car at 69 degrees or 71 degrees and often that control is integrated into the radio, so it is a much harder if not impossible install - Here's a thread on the 1999 Taurus with EHVAC, which was notorious for this.

Actually, in this case, the automatic HVAC controls are easier to deal with. You just have to remove a few panels, unplug the wires, and unbolt the HU. If you have the manual controls you have to do all that and get under the dash to unplug a cable from each side (temperature on the left, and venting on the right.) This extra step doesn't take more than a few extra minutes, but does add some complexity and difficulty to the install.

02 BMW 330Ci

12 Ford F-150

• Thanks Ninja1283 - I really was just guessing as I don't have access to detailed install instructions for the Forrester.

I also don't really want to recommend this, but I suspect what you have posted is the CORRECT way to do it and it may be possible to get enough clearance to remove the radio without pulling the cables if you are careful about it.

Not tremendously difficult either way, though.

• I was looking for alternatives to the Dual, and can't really find much with the same features for that price.  You might want to narrow down what is important to you/him, though:

• Bluetooth - handy feature for cel phones in the car, but I never thought a cel phone was important.  There are some models for $180-$220 with built-in BT and some with add-on modules for it, but those are usually around $100 additional.
    • iPod interface - important to him, but pretty common now.
    • USB input - I love this feature for flash drives, but would prefer a rear port.  (Not as big a deal if all his music is on the iPod and he will keep the iPod with him all the time.)
    • HD radio - you sort of need to know how and what it is in your area.  I have it and reception is worse than with analog FM.  The only jazz station in my area is on HD-2, so when I want radio jazz, it is useful for that, and the song title feature is nice.  I've gotten spoiled with it and I can use either it or the built-in analog tuner, but I'm not sure I would get it again if I were starting over.  Satellite radio is really nice, but paying a monthly fee to hear the radio doesn't impress me.

Hope This Helps!!!

• TigerHeli

I also don't really want to recommend this, but I suspect what you have posted is the CORRECT way to do it and it may be possible to get enough clearance to remove the radio without pulling the cables if you are careful about it.

Actually, I don't think there is enough clearance to pull the HU without disconnecting the HVAC controls and removing the plastic trim first. After you pull the trim, there are four recessed screws attached to HU brackets that extend beyond the opening in the plastic trim.

Edit: Full install details here, taken from techinfo.subaru.com.

[edited by: Ninja1283 at 5:29 PM (GMT -5) on Tue, Nov 3 2009]

02 BMW 330Ci

12 Ford F-150

• That .pdf file is great - steps 7-9 are probably only required for subwoofer and not radio removal/install.

Hope This Helps!!!