1.800.555.8260 We're here to help
As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
I am installing a Pioneer head unit in a 1997 Nissan Pathfinder. All the wires from the harness to the deck are connected according to color. I was able to connect all of the wires except for the stock orange/black wire coming out of Nissan's harness. I am assuming this wire has something to do with the illumination. The pioneer does not have an orange/black wire to connect it to.
The deck will not turn on at all if the orange/black wire is:
- not connected to anything
- connected to the red power wire
- connected to the yellow power wire
The deck will turn on if the orange/black wire is:
- connected to the black ground wire
- connected to the remote wire
However when the headlights are turned on the head unit cuts off and will not turn back on until the headlights are shut off again. In other words, the deck will work fine until the headlight switch is turned to the on position.
Does anyone know a solution to this problem?
CF's Tech support can help also.
To clarify - I assume the Orange/Black wire that you refer to mates to the pink/black illumination wire on Pin 6. Typically, this wire carries 12V when the headlights are on and 0V when they are off - in a few odd cases, the wire supplies 0V when the headlights are on and 12V when the headlights are off.
If the orange/black wire is <>, the deck should:
- not connected to anything (work properly, assuming the other three crucial wires are connected)
- connected to the red power wire (work properly if the other red wire is connected - except the deck will play if the lights are on with the ignition off) (work when the headlights are on and not work when the headlights are off if ONLY the orange/black wire is connected to the red wire).
- connected to the yellow power wire (work fine if the other factory wire is connected to the yellow wire) (work only when the headlights are on and lose memory settings if the headlights are cycled)
- connected to the black ground wire (potentially short out the radio and/or the headlight switch)
- connected to the remote wire (potentially short out the radio and/or the headlight switch).
Hope This Helps!!!
2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs
You are lucky you did not short out the headlight switch.
What model radio is it?
From your post, the radio does not have an orange illumination wire.
The radio needs three wires to turn on:
The red pioneer wire should be connected to the Green White wire at Pin 1
The yellow Pioneer wire should be connected to the Blue Yellow Wire on Pin 7.
The Black Pioneer wire should be connected to bare metal behind the dash.
The Nissan Illumination and dimmer wires should be individually capped off and not connected.
You need the speaker wires connected to get sound, but that should get the radio working.
Anyone else have suggestions?
Because my name is on the business, I work hard to make sure you get the best possible shopping experience. I look forward to hearing your comments .
- Bill Crutchfield Founder and CEO
Browse our latest Discovery Book catalog online
Send me a FREE Discovery Book catalog by mail
Email me exclusive offers, deals and expert reviews
Copyright ©1996-2014, Crutchfield New Media, LLC All rights reserved. Crutchfield is a trademark of Crutchfield New Media, LLC.