Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Would a 06-08 Saturn radio fit into a 2002 LW-200?

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

Would a 06-08 Saturn radio fit into a 2002 LW-200?

• I own a 2002 Saturn LW-200, with the stock radio/CD which doesn't have an auxiliary input. I want to replace the radio with one that has aux-in, so I can get rid of my crappy FM transmitter to listen to my iPod.

Before buying an aftermarket radio, I would like to know if I can use a more recent Saturn radio as-is in my 2002 Saturn.

For example, there is one with part number 15790419 on eBay, listed as a 06-08 ION / VUE / SKY radio.

Does anybody know if that radio would fit in my 2002 LW-200 Saturn?

Thanks!

[edited by: Ryan at 4:59 PM (GMT -5) on Fri, May 6 2011]
  • It MIGHT work, but I'm going to guess it won't.

You have three things to consider - physical fitment, electrical connections, functionality.  (See similar thread on a Toyota).

Physical - The 2002 uses the Metra 99-3106 or 95-3106 dash kit, the 2006 Ion uses the Metra 99-3302 or 95-3302 kit.  It's possible the radio would physically fit with no problems, but you would think Metra would use the same kits if that was the case.

Electrical - The 2002 uses a simple 70-2002 Harness connector, the 2006 needs the GMOS-LAN-06 connector.  If you were going the other way, you could probably cut the plug off a 2002 LW-200 from a junkyard and splice into the wiring and install that in the 2008 (losing OnStar), but often the newer radios that use a databus connection need to be re-programmed to install them in a different model car, and since the 2002 LW-200 did not come with them and does not use a data bus that is not possible (well, not easily possible - you could probably install a 2008 Body Control Module and run it to the radio, but you'll spend maybe $350-$700 on it).

Features/Price - I'm a big fan of USB, but it's not that important with an iPod - but I've never known a factory radio that was not underpowered.  You could easily find an aftermarket radio that had iPod control and charging from the head unit along with USB support for $130 or less with installation accessories.  If it were an easy install, I woudln't go much over say $40 for a used 2006 Saturn radio, and it doesn't look like an easy install to me - actually, with the electrical, I'm not even sure you can get it to work, much less possibly looking at fiberglassing it into the dash, etc.

Sometimes it's easy and makes sense, but this doesn't seem to be one of those times.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Wow, thanks for the detailed reply!

I guess I'll end up sticking with a crappy FM transmitter then... Most of the aftermarket radios I saw in stores look flimsy compared to my Saturn radio, and I'm not a fan of the bright light show that most of them deliver...

Again, thanks for taking time to reply to my question!

Pascal

• If you don't want to swap out the factory radio, you are better off with an FM modulator than an FM transmitter.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs