Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Is it the HDMI v1.4 connections or same brand components

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

Is it the HDMI v1.4 connections or same brand components

This question is answered

I have a 2yr old 40" Sony LED HDTV in our living room. It works great & recently decided to upgrade my stereo receiver with a Sony STRDN1010 Home theater receiver that I got from Crutchfield. So far, I am happy with this purchase as well.

I currently have a TiVo Premiere hooked up to one (of 4) HDMI inputs on the Sony HDTV.  I then connected the Sony receiver's HDMI output to another available HDMI input on the Sony HDTV.  Unknowingly, I then noticed that when controlling the TV volume via the TiVo peanut remote, it automatically controls the Sony receiver volume (TV input) as well. Also, when I turn off the Sony TV with the TiVo remote, it also turns the Sony receiver off as well. This works great and is a benefit I was not aware of. Its especially good since the Sony receiver sits inside a entertainment cabinet (w/ doors) & I thought I was gonna have to get some sort of remote extender to be able to control the stereo's volume when the doors are closed.

Now, is this obvious syncing something related to the Sony "BRAVIA" feature I have seen mentioned in the manual? Or could it possibly be related to the HDMI v1.4 cables I have connecting the components? I'm hoping its a HDMI v1.4 related thing as I am also looking to get a 50" Panasonic plasma to replace this Sony TV (which will then be moved to bedroom). I would love for the Panasonic Plasma to operate & sync up the same way, but am not sure it will since it will be different brands connected to each other. Just wondering.

JVC KD-AR880 w/ JVC-SIR1 SIRIUS radio tuner, KS-BTA200 bluetooth adapter, CH-X1500 12-disc changer, full PAC steering wheel controls, Polk db6500 (front component) & db650 (rear) speakers. A Profile AP1040 Amp to make it all Rock

Verified Answer
  • Greetings.

IR remote codes are hexadecimal strings. When you programed your Tivo to remote to control your TV it is simply utilizing the same string that the original Sony remote would have used. The two Sony devices are designed so that they can repeat an IR commands over HDMI to like featured Sony components. It doesn't matter if the string comes from the Tivo remote or the Sony remote, so long as the string is recognized as a Sony input command.

Unfortunately, the system is designed so it only works with Sony components that are equipped with their "sync" feature. The idea being to induce you to buy more Sony stuff.

It does make repeating IR signals a no-brainer (provided the system is all Sony and nothing but Sony), but it isn't as functional or as flexible as a true IR repeater system because there is no easy way to extract codes for other brands of components (all of the command are input to the system, the Sony components simply ignore commands they don't recognize).

Some receivers have dedicated IR repeaters built-in that use standard 3.5mm cables to interconnect components, thus eliminating the need for emitters in many cases. I prefer this to proprietary systems such as Sony's, because I can program macros to control disparate components with a single button. It can require a good bit of programming macros into remotes to get the results you desire, however, and that type of programming is beyond the abilities of many home users.

[edited by: Alex W at 6:43 PM (GMT -5) on Mon, Jun 18 2012]

RESIma

• OK, here is an update: I wound up getting the 50" Panasonic Plasma (TC-P50UT50). Great picture & I hooked it up to my Sony STRDN1010 Home Theater Receiver. Fortunately, these two components seem to talk to each other enough to satisfy my needs. In the past the Sony TV hooked up to the Sony receiver seemed to have total integration.

Before, it didn't matter what source input I had selected on the Sony HDTV, when it was turned on with the TiVo remote, it would also turn on the Sony receiver via a HDMI cable connection & select the source needed to play audio through the receiver's speakers.

Now, with the Panasonic TV connected to the Sony receiver, if I have HDMI 2 input pre-selected (direct connection to Sony receiver's HDMI out) and power it on with the TiVo remote, it will turn on the Sony receiver as well and automatically play its sound through the stereo as needed. However,  if HDMI 1 (TiVo DVR direct connection) is selected and I turn the TV on with the TiVo remote, it won't power on the Sony receiver & will simply play the audio through the TV's speakers.

However, after turning it on & if I then change the source from HDMI 1 (TiVo DVR) to HDMI 2 (Sony receiver), it will then power on the Sony home theater & play sound through stereo speakers. I think this will work enough for me. I also realized that I probably just need to run everything through the Sony Home Theater (since it has 4 HDMI inputs). Basically connect the TiVo DVR to the Sony Home Theater (instead of its current direct connection to Panasonic HDMI 1).

[edited by: mfranch87 at 11:24 AM (GMT -5) on Fri, Apr 20 2012]

JVC KD-AR880 w/ JVC-SIR1 SIRIUS radio tuner, KS-BTA200 bluetooth adapter, CH-X1500 12-disc changer, full PAC steering wheel controls, Polk db6500 (front component) & db650 (rear) speakers. A Profile AP1040 Amp to make it all Rock

All Replies
  • My guess is that it is something with the TiVO premier and not the HDMI 1.4 or the Sony Bravia.

But I really only say that b/c all of our cable remotes turn on and off our TV's along with the cable boxes - I think its pretty common for remotes to control several devices.

I could be wrong, though...

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• TigerHeli
    But I really only say that b/c all of our cable remotes turn on and off our TV's along with the cable boxes - I think its pretty common for remotes to control several devices.

Err well if you program it to do so. The only thing I can think is that the Tivo has some auto discover for the remote when first used. So it will automatically program the remote to all compatible devices. Not sure how that would work at first because I don't know how it would know when it found the right code for a particular device but then again I don't have one so figuring that out is kind of difficult.

If the OP gets a new T.V he may have to reset the Tivo and remote to re-run the automatic set-up but I honestly don't know. I doubt it was the HDMI cables because if that were a feature it would be advertised heavily as such.

GMC Sonoma, JVC KD-A95BT, 2 Pioneer TS-D601P in doors, 2 Pioneer TS-G4644R in dash, 2 JL W3v2-D2 10 inch subs, Lightning Audio B4.250.2, Soundstream TX1.1300D

• Well, the TiVo remote has been programmed for the Sony TV and was directly controlling its volume before. I didn't reprogram it at all for a Sony receiver. I was planning to reprogram the TiVo's volume controls from a 'Sony TV' to a 'Sony stereo receiver', but apparently don't need to.

I tend to think all this automatic syncing is related to having Sony branded components connected to each other, but maybe not. I know the newer HDMI v1.4 cables are suppose to have some ethernet style features & can contain internet in them or something like that. Was hoping maybe there is some sort of generic syncing features in them as well that let different brands talk to each other, but not totally sure. Was trying to see how HDMI cabling works before I possibly get a Panasonic HDTV.

• You might want to wait for the rescue panther to chime in on this ...

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• TigerHeli
    You might want to wait for the rescue panther to chime in on this ...

Agreed when he gets here your mind may blow LOL.

GMC Sonoma, JVC KD-A95BT, 2 Pioneer TS-D601P in doors, 2 Pioneer TS-G4644R in dash, 2 JL W3v2-D2 10 inch subs, Lightning Audio B4.250.2, Soundstream TX1.1300D

• OK, I just saw this in the Sony manual that may clarify it a bit:

“BRAVIA” Sync is compatible with Sony TV,
    Blu-ray disc/DVD player, AV amplifier, etc.,
    that is equipped with the Control for HDMI
    function.

By connecting Sony components that are
    compatible with the “BRAVIA” Sync with an
    HDMI cable (not supplied), operation is
    simplified as follows:

• One-Touch Play (page 72)
    • System Audio Control (page 72)
    • System Power Off (page 73)
    • Theater/Theatre Mode Sync (page 73)
    • Audio Return Channel (page 74)

Control for HDMI is a mutual control function
    standard used by HDMI CEC (Consumer
    Electronics Control) for HDMI (High-
    Definition Multimedia Interface).

Makes me think its a Sony BRAVIA thing. Although, I am curious when it says "HDMI is a mutual control function
    standard used by HDMI CEC
    ".  I wonder if that could help a Panasonic plasma TV talk nice with my new Sony Home theater receiver.

• mfranch87
    Although, I am curious when it says "HDMI is a mutual control function
    standard used by HDMI CEC
    ".

To far out of my element here just wait on the panther.

• OK, I have been looking into this "HDMI CEC" standard some more and it basically seems like something that most of the big name manufactures support, but they essentially rebrand it under their own label.

I'm assuming its a marketing ploy to try and get you to buy multiple components from one manufacturer, but in fact they all pretty much can talk/sync with each other since its a shared standard. Here is a pretty good explanation from an online source & what each of them pretty much call it:

HDMI-CEC is a  feature that is built into most consumer electronics today with HDMI. It is a built in system for allowing your Audio and Video components to Communicate with each other. But, in order for it to work, your devices must support HDMI-CEC. Not all HDMI components support HDMI-CEC. Although, HDMI-CEC goes by many names depending on the manufacturer. Here are some other names that are the same as HDMI-CEC: Anynet or Anynet+ (Samsung); Aquos Link (Sharp); BRAVIA Sync (Sony); HDMI-CEC (Hitachi); Kuro Link (Pioneer); CE-Link and Regza Link (Toshiba); RIHD (Remote Interactive over HDMI) (Onkyo); SimpLink (LG); HDAVI Control, EZ-Sync, and VIERA Link (Panasonic); EasyLink (Philips); and NetCommand for HDMI (Mitsubishi)

[edited by: mfranch87 at 8:44 PM (GMT -5) on Fri, Apr 6 2012]

• Can and DO may be two different things, though.

In other words, the Panasonic TV may well know that there's a Sony stereo on the same connection and the Sony Stereo may know there's a Panasonic TV - but that doesn't mean the stereo's remote will control the TV - it might though.

Looks like a universal remote would do what you want in any case, but that's additional expense ...

Anyone seen a large black panther around here?

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

• Greetings.

IR remote codes are hexadecimal strings. When you programed your Tivo to remote to control your TV it is simply utilizing the same string that the original Sony remote would have used. The two Sony devices are designed so that they can repeat an IR commands over HDMI to like featured Sony components. It doesn't matter if the string comes from the Tivo remote or the Sony remote, so long as the string is recognized as a Sony input command.

Unfortunately, the system is designed so it only works with Sony components that are equipped with their "sync" feature. The idea being to induce you to buy more Sony stuff.

It does make repeating IR signals a no-brainer (provided the system is all Sony and nothing but Sony), but it isn't as functional or as flexible as a true IR repeater system because there is no easy way to extract codes for other brands of components (all of the command are input to the system, the Sony components simply ignore commands they don't recognize).

Some receivers have dedicated IR repeaters built-in that use standard 3.5mm cables to interconnect components, thus eliminating the need for emitters in many cases. I prefer this to proprietary systems such as Sony's, because I can program macros to control disparate components with a single button. It can require a good bit of programming macros into remotes to get the results you desire, however, and that type of programming is beyond the abilities of many home users.

[edited by: Alex W at 6:43 PM (GMT -5) on Mon, Jun 18 2012]

RESIma

• OK, here is an update: I wound up getting the 50" Panasonic Plasma (TC-P50UT50). Great picture & I hooked it up to my Sony STRDN1010 Home Theater Receiver. Fortunately, these two components seem to talk to each other enough to satisfy my needs. In the past the Sony TV hooked up to the Sony receiver seemed to have total integration.

Before, it didn't matter what source input I had selected on the Sony HDTV, when it was turned on with the TiVo remote, it would also turn on the Sony receiver via a HDMI cable connection & select the source needed to play audio through the receiver's speakers.

Now, with the Panasonic TV connected to the Sony receiver, if I have HDMI 2 input pre-selected (direct connection to Sony receiver's HDMI out) and power it on with the TiVo remote, it will turn on the Sony receiver as well and automatically play its sound through the stereo as needed. However,  if HDMI 1 (TiVo DVR direct connection) is selected and I turn the TV on with the TiVo remote, it won't power on the Sony receiver & will simply play the audio through the TV's speakers.

However, after turning it on & if I then change the source from HDMI 1 (TiVo DVR) to HDMI 2 (Sony receiver), it will then power on the Sony home theater & play sound through stereo speakers. I think this will work enough for me. I also realized that I probably just need to run everything through the Sony Home Theater (since it has 4 HDMI inputs). Basically connect the TiVo DVR to the Sony Home Theater (instead of its current direct connection to Panasonic HDMI 1).

[edited by: mfranch87 at 11:24 AM (GMT -5) on Fri, Apr 20 2012]