Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

** New Kenwood Firmware Update Available for DNX5120, DNX512EX, DDX 5022, DDX512 ****

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

** New Kenwood Firmware Update Available for DNX5120, DNX512EX, DDX 5022, DDX512 ****

• ** New Kenwood Firmware Update Available for DNX5120, DNX512EX, DDX 5022, DDX512 ****

I just saw a new firmware update posted on the Kenwood site @

It looks like it upgrades the firmware to version  1.4.0

http://www.kenwood.com/cs/ce/mm/firmware/2008/eng.html

The page Says:
    About the 2008 Navigation/Multimedia receiver firmware updater
    Improved functions
    (2008.04.11)
    • Bluetooth Hands Free Unit Control function
    • Scan and Random playback function of USB device
    • Scrolls the list and makes a selection by front panel knob
    • Slide show(JPEG) function
    • MPEG1 and MPEG2 file playback function of USB device
    • DivX ID display
    • HD Radio Unit (KTC-HR200) Control function (Only for USA)

• *** UPDATE on results firmware 1.4.0 testing *****

Ok.... Just spent all day installing my new 5120.. I did the firmware update to v1.4.0 and all is well. I can not specifically verify that the problems previously reported by other members with the factory version of the unit ( 1.3.0) have been fixed because I never tried my unit with the 1.3.0 version - I upgraded straight to v1.4.

BUT I can say that the version 1.4.0 updated firmware in my new unit did not have any problems. here are some things that I tried & my configuration:

o Car: Mitsubishi 1997 3000gt vr4
    o Steering wheel interface: via PAC SWI-JACK
    o Head Unit: DNX-5120 w/ v 1.4.0 firmware
    o Blue Tooth: Kenwood KCA-BT200 Bluetooth
    o Phone: Samsung Blackjack w/ A2DP profile
    o Sirus: nope
    o XM Radio: what I'm waiting for (a KCA-XM100v) is currently not available
    o Backup Camera: yup from Supercircuits: http://www.supercircuits.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=5628
    o IPOD: Nope - sorry apple
    o AM/FM Radio - does anybody actually still use this??? will test eventually
    o HD Radio - not yet - might add later

Results:

- DVD Movie Playback -seems to work fine - Daughter #2 had me watching the Devil's Rejects to test it out. Creepy movie. Definitely could tell Dolby Surround was working.

- Standard CD Music Playback - works fine - CD text off of CD's is correctly displayed

- CD MP3 Music Playback - Not tested yet.

- DVD MP3 Music Playback - Not Tested yet

- USB MP3 Playback - works fine - I tried a 1gb usb flash drive with 3 albums w/ folders and it played fine. Also if I powered every thing down & then restarted (the car) - Play back continued where I left off. This also worked even if I switched sources and then came back to the USB source - playback would resume where I left off. this is really good for me - because I listen to alot of Podcasts. I did not experience any looping on my USB flash drive.

- BlueTooth to Phone - yup works fine. I can receive/send calls as well as control play back of MP3's on my phone via the blue tooth interface. Skip/Back to next track works.

-Nav system - seems to work fine - havent' tested very much other than to make sure that I can find where the heck I am.

-Steering wheel interface(via via PAC SWI-JACK ) - really pleased that everything is working well. Volume up/down works, Source Select Works, Mute works, Next/Prev works. All of these functions work via the steering wheel for any of the sources selected (DVD, CD, Phone (if I'm listening to an MP3 on my phone) , USB, etc).

-Backup Camera - works great - when I put the car in reverse - the camera automatically comes on. Had some wiring problems that was preventing the camera from coming on at all - but figured it out eventually.

Well that's it for now.. Overall very pleased with the Kenwood DNX-5120 - It kicks ***.

P.S. Crutchfield Rocks!!!! 

• I have the DDX512 Head Unit.   I just did the firmware update to 1.4.0 from 1.0.0

The big thing I was waiting for with this update was the ability to play MPEG2 (DVD) videos from a USB device.  I purchased a Western Digital Passport 320GB USB hard drive to try this with.

The good news is it now attempts to play the videos from the USB hard drive or USB thumb/flash drive. The bad news is it plays them SLOW and studders in and out while playing (ie:  takes 6 minutes to play a 4 minute video).  This does it with ANY USB device I've tried on it.  The videos play fine when I hook up the usb device to a laptop computer.

I contacted Kenwood support about this and they said they will ask one of the engineers at Kenwood in Japan about it.   I told them I need to know the EXACT specifications of the MPEG1 and MPEG2 video that the DDX510 will play correctly and smoothly.

I should hear back by Thursday hopefully.   After this issue is resolved I will consider getting the BT-200 Bluetooth since according to other people it seems to work well.  I also just ordered the cable from crutchfield -SR20V - to hook up my Sirius Tuner to the head unit.  Being without Sirius since I bought this unit has sucked.

• I need some help with the bluetooth on my 5120. I have all of my contacts downloaded from my phone to the headunit. The one problem I have is that all of my contacts are showing general. On my phone they are listed out with mobile,home, work, etc. Can someone explain to me how to change that on my headunit.

Thank You.

• Question for you. I have a Kenwood DDX512 and am having issues with the firmware upgrade. I have gone to Kenwoods website and downloaded the update but when I insert the disc into the unit it apperently tries to read it as a CD (lots of high pitched digital squealing). I am having this issue with any type of data burned onto a disc but music (photos) what am I doing wrong?
  • It sounds like your burning software is burning your CD-R disc as a AUDIO CD disc.  Make sure your CD Burning software is sent to burn as a DATA CD-ROM.  Try different burning software if you have to.
  • I posted videos showing some of the issues with this AFTER the firmware update to 1.4.0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTemYExafVI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ21gBbUJjk

[edited by: Don at 4:30 PM (GMT -5) on Wed, Apr 16 2008] activated linnks
  • I just wanted to point out this other helpful thread from a Kenwood representative.

Don
    Community Manager

• The Garmin update is now on the Garmin / Kenwood page:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/downlo...D=205&pID=13274

Change History

Changes made from version 2.10 to 2.20:

Pressing on the next turn distance and time on a custom map tab will repeat the next turn instruction.

Added code to prevent the loss of map unlock codes.

• Had the same problem.  Your CD Read option is probably set to type 2--This forcibly reads inserted cd-r disks as music cds. Change it to type 1.

From the main home screen--touch SETUP-then SYSTEM SETUP--then change option CD Read to type 1. The disk drive will then autodetect the data cd-r disk type format correctly. 

• Awesome. That should do it. Thanks a lot!
  • davedude:

I posted videos showing some of the issues with this AFTER the firmware update to 1.4.0

Nice review davedude! Now is the interface of the DDX512 the same as the DNX5120?

• SP44:
    davedude:

I posted videos showing some of the issues with this AFTER the firmware update to 1.4.0

Nice review davedude! Now is the interface of the DDX512 the same as the DNX5120?

I believe the DNX5120 has the same interface except that it has the Garmin GPS built in where as the DDX512 the garmin GPS is a option add on.

• Where might you have acquired the 1.4.0 update? I have the exact same unit (DNX-5120) and have been having MAJOR problems with the IPOD functionality. Specifically, and this happens EVERY few songs, the song will change but the song info on the screen will not update. If I try to navigate back to the top menu for another song/artist/album it will just show all question marks "?????" and then start playing the first song alphabetically on my ipod. It also fails to connect when I start my car in the morning (this happens less frequently) but the only way to fix this is to hard reboot the Ipod. These issues have led me to almost hate this otherwise great, feature packed unit. I'm hoping there's a firmware update that will fix these issues and if this is the one, could you please let me know where to get it and what it fixes exactly?

MUCH appreciated!

--J

• digitalsy:

Where might you have acquired the 1.4.0 update? I have the exact same unit (DNX-5120) and have been having MAJOR problems with the IPOD functionality. Specifically, and this happens EVERY few songs, the song will change but the song info on the screen will not update. If I try to navigate back to the top menu for another song/artist/album it will just show all question marks "?????" and then start playing the first song alphabetically on my ipod. It also fails to connect when I start my car in the morning (this happens less frequently) but the only way to fix this is to hard reboot the Ipod. These issues have led me to almost hate this otherwise great, feature packed unit. I'm hoping there's a firmware update that will fix these issues and if this is the one, could you please let me know where to get it and what it fixes exactly?

MUCH appreciated!

--J

Look at the first post of this thread and that will tell you