Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

New Pioneer AVH-P8400DVD receiver

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

New Pioneer AVH-P8400DVD receiver

This question is answered

Hello.  I noticed that Pioneer has their new 2012 lineup of DVD receivers coming soon, and from what I've read, the AVH-P8400DVD sounds fantastic!  I currently have the AVH-P3100DVD, which works perfectly fine, but the new features on the 8400 make it worth upgrading in my opinion (new MixTrax feature, dramatic increase in resolution on the 7" screen, 2 rear USB inputs, Pandora, & detachable faceplate).  I can't wait to see if the 2 rear USB ports allow you to connect 2 Ipods simultaneously (for those with extensive music / video libraries)...

Has anyone heard anything negative about this new receiver?  Based on the price, I just want to make sure everything I've heard so far makes it worth the upgrade.

Thanks in advance...

Verified Answer
  • I have spoken with Pioneers rep on Facebook, and he assured me that it will handle two different iPods or iPhones what ever combination. Proved you buy the correct cables. What port in the rgb port on it?

All Replies
  • http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/DVD-Receivers/AVH-P8400BH

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Car/DEH-P8400BH_OwnersManual112811.pdf

AVH-P8400BH, not AVH-P8400DVD - assuming I'm looking at the correct unit.

The units aren't supposed to ship until next month, and I don't think Crutchfield is taking pre-orders yet, so if you hear anything negative now, that would be a very bad sign.Devil

calexan1
    I can't wait to see if the 2 rear USB ports allow you to connect 2 Ipods simultaneously (for those with extensive music / video libraries)

I'm not an iPod person, but the documentation clearly says it will support one iPod and one USB hard drive and hard drives are cheap.  Worst case you could transfer the second iPod's files to a USB hard drive and access them that way.

On USB (not iPod) you seem to be limited to 1500 Folders and 15,000 files, which is pretty low for a modern receiver.  (Actually, it's not that bad - I think I have around 2500 files on my USB drive and my deck only supports 2000 Folders and 20,000 Files, but it's also almost 2 years old now.)

The only other drawback I see is that there are only 112 display colors available.  That's not terrible, but my deck has 32,000 and I couldn't EXACTLY match my Ford dash illumination (but I'm VERY close).

The four other negatives:

• Lacks support for Pandora over Android phones, as far as I can tell - but that's a new feature for any headunit.
    • Lacks Wi-Fi support, but I think only a handful of OEM cars have that and no aftermarket decks.
    • I wasn't impressed with HD radio when I had my Sony HD radio tuner.  It may have improved, Pioneer might have a better tuner, or it can at least be effectively turned off by disabling the "Blend" function.
    • It won't pour me hot chocolate or soda when I get in the car.

BTW - I like the unit, I tend to nit-pick, so I don't think there would ever be a unit that I couldn't find something that I wanted changed.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Yes...AVH-P8400BH is the correct model number...sorry about that...

Thanks for the clarification on the use of the 2 rear USB ports.  Based on its USB file limits, that will definitely help when sorting out my files...

I'm also curious to see if Pioneer improved on the hands-free Bluetooth feature.  I heard last year's models were terrible with this...

• To further clarify - I'm not at all sure that the deck doesn't in fact support two iPods with the appropriate cables.

Most people don't do that and the deck and the manual don't specify one way or the other - and actually, I wouldn't expect tech support to know either.

OTOH - my JVC has two USB ports and they act independently - i.e. I can switch between ports and the deck remembers where it stopped playing.  Assuming the Pioneer behaves similarly, I would assume you could very likely connect two iPods to it, but I don't know for sure.

I scanned the manual and found it a bit disappointing.  It doesn't say anything about the iPod only working with Port 1 or only with Port 2 - which is a good sign, but if you look on Page 26, it is clearly only showing the 7400 and only shows one USB cable and it and the RCA's are in the incorrect location .... Super Angry

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• I took a more detailed look at the manual in the PDF file, and it is not correct manual for the new AVH-P8400BH.  The first clue was that the manual was only 28 pages.  My AVH-P3100DVD manual is about 3 times larger, so I can only imagine the encyclopedia that will come with the new 8400...

It's actually the manual for the DEH-P7400 & DEH-P8400 models...which explains why the information is so unclear.  

Guess I'll just have to wait until the unit comes out next month to find out for sure...

• calexan1
    It's actually the manual for the DEH-P7400 & DEH-P8400 models...which explains why the information is so unclear.

Good catch - the link came directly from the AVH-P8400BH product page, though. Angry

• We have not had one of these units to test yet. Previous receivers that has two USB inputs and would let you connect an iPod to both treated each iPod as a different source. We will be happy to post back once we have tested one of these models.

http://www.crutchfield.com/bio/Paul

• any time frame on the delivery of these yet? I see they have some of the new decks out (on crutchfield)

• Hopefully soon!

• Ok...I managed to get my hands on Pioneer's 2012 Car Audio catalog, and it has more information than their website regarding Ipod connectivity with the 2 rear USB inputs on the AVH-P8400BH:

The CD-IU201S cable has a USB connector and an RGB connector allowing the cable to connect to one of the rear USB inputs and the only RGB input.  Anyone that has an IPhone4 (or more recent) or 4th Generation Ipod Touch will need to buy this cable to use the Advanced APP features on the receiver.

The CD-IU201V cable has a USB connector and an AUX connector allowing the cable to connect to the other rear USB input and the only AUX input.  You can use this cable with any Ipod, and you appear to have limited APP abilities with an earlier generation Ipod Touch.

I am still unsure if the unit will still recognize 2 Ipods using the different cables, but it could be possible.  I personally do not have an IPhone, and my Ipod Touch is 2nd Generation, so I'll be getting the CD-IU201V cable and using a portable hard drive with the other USB input.

Another FYI...regarding album artwork, it looks like the new MIXTRAX will display your album artwork without the purchase of either of these Ipod cables.  I downloaded the MIXTRAX software ahead of time to analyze my music library, and the MIXTRAX program displays album artwork when you select any song that it has analyzed.  This (SHOULD) mean that the MIXTRAX feature on the AVH-P8400BH would recognize any music with album artwork stored on a USB drive...not sure if album artwork from a USB drive will display without using MIXTRAX on the receiver...

Obviously I'm as anxious as anyone else for this receiver to become available...hope this info helps until it arrives...

• calexan1
    not sure if album artwork from a USB drive will display without using MIXTRAX on the receiver...

I would expect that to work, as long as the artwork is embedded in the file.  I've learned it's not safe to take things like that for granted, though.

• I have spoken with Pioneers rep on Facebook, and he assured me that it will handle two different iPods or iPhones what ever combination. Proved you buy the correct cables. What port in the rgb port on it?

• Where we're you about to find the 2012 catalog?

• At a local car audio company in Columbus, Ohio.  They had done my current car audio setup, so I was checking with them to see if they had gotten them to see if they had gotten any of the new 2012 Pioneer receivers.  They had a stack of the 2012 Pioneer Dealer Guides, and they let me have one...

• Hmmmm. I've been trying to find one online but haven't had any luck. 

• Pioneer now has the manual posted on their website for the AVH-p8400bh.