Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Volume Problem with new Kenwood Excelon KDC-X696

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

Volume Problem with new Kenwood Excelon KDC-X696

This question is answered

Hi.  Just installed yesterday the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X696 bluetooth car stereo.  It wasn't easy as it went into the dash of a BMW 325 Cic.  Tight fit, but we did it.

Well, the volume is not good.  It goes up to 35 on the volume "meter," and you can still listen to it.  Yes, it's louder than you would probably need to listen to it at, but you can tolerate it without it being overly loud.

This is a convertible.  When the top is down, I may not be able to hear this deck.  My daughter has the same one but it's not bluetooth and she can't turn hers past 18 or it's way too loud.  What could be the problem?  We did buy the extra audio pack to install with it, so that's not it.

Stumped and praying we don't have to take it out and send it back.  WAY too much work wiring it up and then trying to get it to fit to send it back now.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Verified Answer
  • Okay - the good news is, first test run on the parkway today with the convertible down and it's loud enough!  It may not blast anyone out of their seats but it works fine, so no need for rewiring, thank goodness.

I also did some investigating before I left and you CAN read playlists, etc., on the iPod if you are plugged in via USB (maybe aux cable, too, but didn't try that).  However, with bluetooth, it is a no-go.

Everything worked pretty good today.  Only problem I have is, with the top down and the bright daylight coming into the vehicle, it's hard to read the display.  And, no, it's not on the dimmer.

Thank you everyone for all your thoughts and suggestions.  Teddy, you are the best!

All Replies
  • Is it not loud enough when your are only when using an iPod/USB via the USB port or when using the AUX input? If that's the case then check your volume offset and make sure it's at 0. The other thing I would suggest is try using the loudness on the radio. Your HU has 2 different loudness controls so try both of them and see if it helps. The other possible problem is that your car has a stock amp which is interfering with how loud the HU is getting. In that case your going to have to wire your HU directly to your speakers.

GMC Sonoma, JVC KD-A95BT, 2 Pioneer TS-D601P in doors, 2 Pioneer TS-G4644R in dash, 2 JL W3v2-D2 10 inch subs, Lightning Audio B4.250.2, Soundstream TX1.1300D

• Teddy, thanks so much for writing back to fast.  I'll try to address this as best I can.  My son installed this for me and I'm no pro on audio installations.

I have tried to use the bluetooth AND the USB and both have the same problem - not enough loudness.  You can listen still at 35.

I don't have an aux. cable, but perhaps I'll try that next and see if it makes a difference.  But the whole idea was to get a deck that wouldn't need any wires hanging out of it; hence, the bluetooth.

I did use the loudness settings but it didn't really do much at all.  I don't doubt my car has a stock amp, so what does that mean as far as rewiring?  My son is going to KILL me if I made him do something major again.  He had a problem getting his large hands in the small space on this car to install it yesterday.  If I mention more work to do, I'm afraid of what I'll hear LOL!

Thanks!

• Okay I should rephrase do you have the problem with regular radio? If you don't it's defiantly the volume offset. What are your car specs? Did it have a premium system before the install? If it did it probably has a stock amplifier. I'm assuming your son knows more about car audio then you since he did the install if you do indeed have a stock amp it's going to be a 'big' job. It's really easy though to explain though how to re wire around the amp. It would probably be better if I explained to to your son so we can get any questions out of the way faster if he's gonna be doing the install.

GMC Sonoma, JVC KD-A95BT, 2 Pioneer TS-D601P in doors, 2 Pioneer TS-G4644R in dash, 2 JL W3v2-D2 10 inch subs, Lightning Audio B4.250.2, Soundstream TX1.1300D

• I think it's odd, Big Teddy.  Just went out and did some errands (had to try the deck again) and got an aux. cable, didn't make a difference.  HOWEVER . . . it wasn't THAT bad.  I guess I have to wait and see what happens when the convertible is down.  I was told to STOP SHOUTING into the bluetooth phone mic LOL, where I used to have to with my bluetooth Jabra.  So that's a plus.

Can I ask a question that hopefully you can answer?  I looked it up in my  manual but it still doesn't work for me.  I can't get the deck to show me my playlists from my iPhone's iPod.  It says to press the magnifying glass and that doesn't do a thing.  What am I missing?

Believe it or not, I'm my friends' and family's go-to person for technology with computers but not car stereos.  I sound like a real ditz, but I'm really not! 

Thanks, BT, for any help you can offer on this NEW question.  I know, I'm driving you nuts! Confused

• Not sure if Kenwood supports playlists from the head unit for the ipod - most decks DO NOT support this.

What year BMW?

Most likely the car has an OEM amplifier and that is NOT as powerful as the Kenwood internal amplifier.  The solution is to bypass the internal amplifer and run the speakers directly off the Kenwood deck (assuming the OEM speakers are 4-ohms), but that is fairly involved - it's minimal cost and most likely your problem, though.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• The volume on the iPod must be turned up full.

GLH Geeked

• GLH, the sound is up all the way on the iPhone/iPod.  But thanks - that was a good call.

Teddy, my helper, I think I'll be okay.  Today is nice enough to put the top down on the car so we'll see how it goes.  I have to say, it may be the files that were put on the iPod, thinking about it.  I will see how loud my radio plays.  I think it goes louder than the iPod.

Meanwhile, the playlists DO come out on this deck.  My son showed me and now it can't be replicated.  He had to go out-of-state on a conference but in the meanwhile I'm lost.  I am reading something about a mode-on or mode-off.  Think I'll have to check that out later before I leave for work.

Teddy, you are an angel.  Thank you again for hanging in here with me.  I guess if I HAVE to do something like wire the speakers directly to the deck, I'll take it somewhere to have it done.  Don't want to drive my son crazy.  It was nice enough that he spent all that time undertaking this project when he works so hard to begin with.  Have yourself a wonderful day, my friend. Big Smile

• Sometimes if that soundcheck is turned on the iPod, it raises havok with my Pioneer. Also, the iPod EQ should be turned off, and make sure you don't have a volume limit set on the iPod.

GLH Geeked

• GLH, I did have an EQ on the iPod set but no Sound Check or Volume Limit turned on.  I can't imagine, though, the EQ causing this problem, but I'll try anything - and I do appreciate your suggesting whatever you can think of.  Thank you!

• no problem. thats what these forums are for. a local shop would be able to easily run new wires from the head to the speakers. it should take them less than a hour. if you need anything else feel free to ask.

• BIG teddy
    it should take them less than a hour

If they can bypass the amp at the amp connections.  Many BMW's use fiber-optic connections between the amp and the OEM head unit so it might not be quite as simple.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• hmm did not know that. but if thats true wouldnt you have to bypass the amp anyways? last time i checked hu's dont output via fiber optics so the connection from the head to the amp wouldnt even work. if thats the case he would have no sound. bu ive never seen car audio done with fiber optics so i wouldnt know how it works lol.

• I'm not sure which BMW's used the fiber optic connectors.  No aftermarket HU is going to output fiber optics, but Metra or Scosche or similar MIGHT have developed an interface that converts the HU RCA's to compatible Fiber-Optic.

Not sure, though ...

• Okay - the good news is, first test run on the parkway today with the convertible down and it's loud enough!  It may not blast anyone out of their seats but it works fine, so no need for rewiring, thank goodness.

I also did some investigating before I left and you CAN read playlists, etc., on the iPod if you are plugged in via USB (maybe aux cable, too, but didn't try that).  However, with bluetooth, it is a no-go.

Everything worked pretty good today.  Only problem I have is, with the top down and the bright daylight coming into the vehicle, it's hard to read the display.  And, no, it's not on the dimmer.

Thank you everyone for all your thoughts and suggestions.  Teddy, you are the best!

• Loriem
    you CAN read playlists, etc., on the iPod if you are plugged in via USB (maybe aux cable, too, but didn't try that).  However, with bluetooth, it is a no-go.

That makes sense.  USB is a digital connection.  AUX is analog and I wouldn't expect it to work.  BT likely is as well, and I'm not surprised it doesn't work, although I'm MUCH less familiar with it.

Loriem
    the bright daylight coming into the vehicle, it's hard to read the display

That's going to be a very common and hard to overcome issue with all head units.  My JVC reverses the display (black letters on a blue background) in daytime and it can even be hard to read sometimes and I don't have a convertible.