Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

help setting crossover

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

help setting crossover

This question is not answered

I need help understanding how to interpret my crossover settings.

I have:

Receiver :JVC KD-R970BTS CD receiver 

speakers. JBL GTO509C 5-1/4" component speaker system w/passive crossover.  

Front Door Panel: Tweeters and 5 1/4 woofers (JBL's)

Rear door panel: Factory speakers 

crossover: passive (has a button on it, what does this do?)

I need guidance on how to set the crossover (xover) setting from my head unit?

I don't have a sub woofer (yet), so I set the speakers as rear/rear, as shown in the first chart.

Crossover (reference chart below from owner's manual):

Tweeter:  what's a good starting point to set this at?  And does this only allow frequencies above the setting to be sent to the tweeter?

Front/Rear HPF:  Does this serve to just dampen the frequencies below the setting vs vs not allowing them at all.  I'm confused on this as I thought the HPF is to filter out all frequencies below the setting (as I've interpreted the tweeter settings). If this is the case  do the lower frequencies just disappear?  Or, since I don't have a sub, do I put the lowest possible setting here so all frequencies are sent.  

Any advise is much appreciated.

thanks,

Jim

All Replies
  • The highpass crossover  attenuates the freqs below the setting, depending on the slope. The larger the slope number (-6 to -24 db), the steeper the slope. You should read up on this to understand it. Too much explanation to type it all here. Without subs or dedicated midrange speakers and only full rage speakers, I would turn the filters off. If those small speakers distort from the bass, simple turn the bass down. If you choose to use the highpass filters, I would with a mild slope (-06db) and start at 80hz. You might be able to get more midbass from the small speakers that way, without distortion. You could end up with a very steep slope (-24db) and 120hz highpass. With my 2.1 system, I lowpass the sub at 80hz, highpass the 2 door speakers at 100hz. I have expensive 2 way 6x8's in front doors, however.

Sorry, What size are the rear OE speakers ?

GLH Geeked