Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

How to tune a Subwoofer System?

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

How to tune a Subwoofer System?

This question is answered

Hello everybody, first time in the Crutchfield community. I recently acquired a slightly aged but perfectly working subwoofer from my father's car overseas and I decided to install it in my car. Here is my car, my setup, my equipment, and my goal.

My car

-2004 Honda Accord Sedan V6

Current Setup

-Factory Headunit

-Pioneer 6.5" components (front)

-Pioneer 6 x 9 Coaxials (rear)

Acquired Equipment

-JBL GTO1004D 10" DVC rated at 250RMS and 1000 Peak 

-Alpine PDX-M6 Mono Amplifier 600RMS @ 2 ohms and 600RMS @ 4 ohms (wanted room for upgrade)

-Alpine Bass Knob

-Scoche LOC (80watts max)

-Rockford Fosgate Wiring Kit and Wires

My goal

As with everyone else's, I would like to tune my amplifier so that it pushes the subwoofer at its optimal level without over-doing anything, as well as being able to use the Bass Knob I purchased to work with the amplifier.

This is my first experience with amplifying speakers, let alone adding a subwoofer system without the aid of a professional shop, although I have been given certain tips:

-Good to overpower the subwoofer by a little over its RMS (50-100watts over??)
-Bad to overpower amp (one of the reasons why I purchased a more than adequate amplifier)

So my question is, how do I tune this subwoofer system? What tools or equipment would I need?

Thanks,
Bliyun 

Verified Answer
  • You need a digital multi-meter or DMM.

You will want to setup your EQ on the stock head however you normally listen to your favorite music and turn up the volume on the stock head to 3/4's. If you have loudness on the stock head, turn it off. Set the DMM on volts alternating current or VAC. Attach the leads of the DMM to the speaker output terminals of the subwoofer amp (minding polarity), with the subwoofer speakers leads disconnected. Start with the amp gain know all the way counterclockwise, subsonic filter set to 30hz, remote bass knob all the way clockwise (full). Play a 50 hz test tone CD on repeat, so it never stops or plays over and over. You are wanting a 600 watt RMS amp to output 250-300 watts RMS. It might not. You want 22.36 VAC for 250 watts or 24.5 VAC for 300 watts. Who knows, you might get 25 VAC or more with the gain turned all the way counterclockwise.

You want the subwoofer wired as the diagram below, to present a 2 ohm load to the amp.

GLH Geeked

• I could be wrong but couldn't he just wire it up at 8 ohms or no? Haven't checked specs (okay I checked specs and it doesn't state what it puts out at on a 8 ohm load but it could still be done.) on the amp but the RMS at 8 would probably be closer to the 250 watt RMS of the sub. It wouldn't hurt the amp, at least I don't think it would. I've never seen an amp hurt by wiring well above the minimum, even if it's not a listed spec.

[edited by: BIG teddy at 2:35 PM (GMT -5) on Wed, Feb 1 2012]

GMC Sonoma, JVC KD-A95BT, 2 Pioneer TS-D601P in doors, 2 Pioneer TS-G4644R in dash, 2 JL W3v2-D2 10 inch subs, Lightning Audio B4.250.2, Soundstream TX1.1300D

All Replies
  • You need a digital multi-meter or DMM.

You will want to setup your EQ on the stock head however you normally listen to your favorite music and turn up the volume on the stock head to 3/4's. If you have loudness on the stock head, turn it off. Set the DMM on volts alternating current or VAC. Attach the leads of the DMM to the speaker output terminals of the subwoofer amp (minding polarity), with the subwoofer speakers leads disconnected. Start with the amp gain know all the way counterclockwise, subsonic filter set to 30hz, remote bass knob all the way clockwise (full). Play a 50 hz test tone CD on repeat, so it never stops or plays over and over. You are wanting a 600 watt RMS amp to output 250-300 watts RMS. It might not. You want 22.36 VAC for 250 watts or 24.5 VAC for 300 watts. Who knows, you might get 25 VAC or more with the gain turned all the way counterclockwise.

You want the subwoofer wired as the diagram below, to present a 2 ohm load to the amp.

GLH Geeked

• Thank you!

I'll do as advised and see what's up. Pictures when the process is finished.

Cheers

• http://www.crutchfield.com/learn/car/subwoofers/tuning.html 

Here is Crutchfield's Sub tuning guide. 

• Pioneer DEH-80PRS
    • Kicker ZX700.5 5ch amp 4x90w + 1x570w
    • 12" JBL P1220 Factory Ported Enclosure
    • 2-12" Polk Audio DXI-124 Custom Ported (soon)
    • Polk Audio dB651 6.5" & dB 691 6"x9"
  • Bliyun
    Hello everybody, first time in the Crutchfield community.

Welcome to the CF forum!!! 

i have to say, this is absolutely the best first post i've seen.  all the pertinent info is included, which is a real time-saver.  kudos!  i also like GLH's answer, so just wanted to say thanks for joining and great post.

• Thank you! Since I am the one requesting voluntary help from a community that I am new to, I wanted to make sure that I don't waste anybody's valuable time nor do I ever plan to for here on out.

I've also listened to GLH's recommendations and acquired an Equus 3320 Digital Multi-Meter from Amazon.com so that I can properly tune my subwoofer system. I hope that after gaining more experience from my own project I will be able to contribute my efforts to the Crutchfield Community.

• i do as well...  looking forward to your next post!!

• I could be wrong but couldn't he just wire it up at 8 ohms or no? Haven't checked specs (okay I checked specs and it doesn't state what it puts out at on a 8 ohm load but it could still be done.) on the amp but the RMS at 8 would probably be closer to the 250 watt RMS of the sub. It wouldn't hurt the amp, at least I don't think it would. I've never seen an amp hurt by wiring well above the minimum, even if it's not a listed spec.

[edited by: BIG teddy at 2:35 PM (GMT -5) on Wed, Feb 1 2012]

GMC Sonoma, JVC KD-A95BT, 2 Pioneer TS-D601P in doors, 2 Pioneer TS-G4644R in dash, 2 JL W3v2-D2 10 inch subs, Lightning Audio B4.250.2, Soundstream TX1.1300D

• Good suggestion.  I think you could wire the sub to the amp at 8-ohms and yes, it might actually work better - I don't see that it would hurt anything to try it that way first, at least.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• TigerHeli
    Good suggestion.  I think you could wire the sub to the amp at 8-ohms and yes, it might actually work better - I don't see that it would hurt anything to try it that way first, at least.

I know I'm a genius LOL. Sorry I stole your glory GLH Devil.

[edited by: BIG teddy at 3:02 PM (GMT -5) on Wed, Feb 1 2012]

• BIG teddy

TigerHeli
    Good suggestion.  I think you could wire the sub to the amp at 8-ohms and yes, it might actually work better - I don't see that it would hurt anything to try it that way first, at least.

I know I'm a genius LOL. Sorry I stole your glory GLH Devil.

Huh ?

GLH Geeked

• GLH
    Huh ?

Big Teddy's still a bit delirious and euphoric b/c I verified one of his answers in another thread.  He should calm down in a couple of days - maybe - I hope ... Cool

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• TigerHeli

GLH
    Huh ?

Big Teddy's still a bit delirious and euphoric b/c I verified one of his answers in another thread.  He should calm down in a couple of days - maybe - I hope ... Cool

Probably going to take a couple of weeks, if not months Devil.

• BIG teddy
    Probably going to take a couple of weeks, if not months Devil.

those green borders get addictive... careful!  you may end up like me, stuck on this forum for hours a day.  here's a freebie Wink

• Not that anyone cares (but why waste a perfectly good opportunity to thread-jack another topic?).

http://community.crutchfield.com/wikis/guidelines/use-of-yellow-and-green-answer-borders.aspx

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

• Hey everybody, it's been a while, but I finally got around to installing my subwoofer system. It's great and took some time to tune, but still needs a bit of work with fine adjustments. But it put the life back into my music, and I am extremely thrilled! Thanks to everybody who contributed and helped out with advice and such, couldn't have done it with all of you. Cheers!

[edited by: Bliyun at 6:02 AM (GMT -5) on Tue, Mar 6 2012]