Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Proper gauge wire for 1200 watts rms

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

Proper gauge wire for 1200 watts rms

This question is answered

I have 2 alpine type r (swr1243d) and a hifonics amp (BXi-1210D)...planning on wiring in parallel to get 1 ohm impedance.  My first question is, what gauge power wire should I be using?  Second question is, what gauge speaker wire should I run from my amp to the subs?  And my last question is, would it be a good idea to add in a capacitor? and if so how many farads should I be going for?

Thanks.

Verified Answer
  • Bottom line is you might only get 900W or so out of the older Hifonics amp and an 80A main fuse is sufficient, but I'd probably run quality 4-gauge just in case you ever replace the amp with one with larger fuses.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

All Replies
  • I would recommend  4ga. -6ga. from the battery to an 80 or 100 amp inline fuse(within 18 inches of the battery). How long is the run of the wire from the battery to the amp?  Make sure you get a quality "name brand"  wire though.   Such as RF, Tsunami, etc.  Alot of the ratings on the lower end kits are not accurate.  I have seen some raptor and street wire kits say 4ga. but its really only about 6ga at most.    

I would personally run 12 ga to the subs.  You could probably do 14, but you don't want to starve your subs or for the wire to overheat. 

I'm not a big fan of caps, they can help a little in certain circumstances but if not set up in the right application they can hurt more than help.  What type of music do you listen to?   Also, do you have any more amps to connect?    

Typically, they say for 1000watt=1farad.  However, this depends on alot of other external issues.   Such as size of wire, alternator, current battery, etc.  

Can you tell us what kind of car you have and a battery size?   And maybe even an alt size if know(if not we can look it up) 

• I have a 93 Grand Am 3.3L, Group 75 battery...not sure what alt size I currently have. Most of the OE replacement ones I've seen are around 90-105a so I'm assuming its somewhere around there. This will be the only amp I will be running and I mostly listen to hip/hop, rap, some dubstep kinda music.  Is Scosche a reputable brand as far as wiring goes or not so much?

• and run for the power cable is about 15 feet.

• lemonskunk

and run for the power cable is about 15 feet.

I would go with 4ga. to be on the safe side, although its not requried or recommended.  6ga could be sufficient given its a quality brand (dense copper or other good conductor).  

• lemonskunk
    Is Scosche a reputable brand as far as wiring goes or not so much?

Personally, no.  I would never use their power wire kits.  However, I have used some of their speaker wire.    I think they overrate the ga of the wire.  

But if you want to use Scosche  get 12 or 14ga for the sub wiring.  You should be safe with that.   I have used it before and had good results. 

• Thanks for your help Yes

• As for the cap; if your lights dim when the bass hits hard you could try it.    It may help, I just havent had good luck with them and personally think they are more for "looks" than performance.   They discharge really quick(which is the purpose), but after discharging they need to charge back up again and again which makes it even harder on the battery/alt.   

• Generally correct, but ...

The Hifonics amp has 140A of internal fuses - you need AT LEAST quality 4-gauge wire and more than an 80 to 100A fuse at the battery.

Crutchfield sells Scosche/EFX - so I would think they are probably decent, but I can't say for sure on that.

Generally, we've been recommending 2F/1000W RMS when we recommend capacitors at all.  Going above that (like a 20F or 30F capacitor) wouldn't help or hurt anything, but going too small on the capacitor actually puts additional strain on your electrical system.

(I've seen 1F/1000W RMS posted elsewhere, but some members who actually used capacitors recommended the higher numbers).

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• TigerHeli

Generally correct, but ...

The Hifonics amp has 140A of internal fuses - you need AT LEAST quality 4-gauge wire and more than an 80 to 100A fuse at the battery.

For some reason when I researched the amp I only saw an 80 amp internal fuse?  Maybe I checked the wrong amp.   But yes in that case surely 4gs or better an a 150 amp fuse 

• TigerHeli
    The Hifonics amp has 140A of internal fuses

Haha explain this to me Tiger, they have the same output "ratings" 

Older 1200 mono has one 80 amp fuse 

http://www.hifonics.com/Hifonics_Brutus_amplifiers.html

The newer 1200 version has two 70amp=140

http://www.hifonics.com/Hifonics_Brutus_BRZ_Amps.html

<Mod Edit: Linked to Manufacturer's site. Please link to Crutchfield's Item Page or manufacturer's website. Thanks.>

[edited by: TigerHeli at 11:57 AM (GMT -5) on Thu, Mar 8 2012] http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_23548_Hifonics-Brutus-BRZ1200.1D.html
  • Competitor links are not allowed.

My bad - I was thinking of the newer amp, but yes, I have noticed that before as well.  All I say is that they were probably more "optimistic" Devil, on the RMS ratings on their previous amps (Also note that the older amp was NOT CEA-2006 compliant and the new one is).

Hope This Helps!!!

• Bottom line is you might only get 900W or so out of the older Hifonics amp and an 80A main fuse is sufficient, but I'd probably run quality 4-gauge just in case you ever replace the amp with one with larger fuses.

Hope This Helps!!!

• Sorry for the wrong links.   Should have linked to the manufacturers site.

TigerHeli
    All I say is that they were probably more "optimistic" Devil, on the RMS ratings on their previous amps

LOL this made my day

• Had to go to Thesaurus.com for the exact wording I wanted - glad you appreciated it!!!

• I love this website..you guys have all the answers. 

So say my amp is only going to output 900w, it should still be enough to push those subs pretty good right?