Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Alpine Type R

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

Alpine Type R

This question is answered

I have a 12" Alpine Type-R SWR-1243D and a 1800W Kenwood KAC-9105D Amp. Is my amp too much for my sub? If not, what would be the best way to go about wiring it.

Verified Answer
  • Example 1 is what you want.

Example 2 should send 900W to the sub, but your amp isn't really 1-ohm stable (regardless of what Kenwood says), and I'd worry long-term about the amp with that setup also.

What have you tried as far as setting the gain?

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• After taking some time to rewire the sub and adjust the settings on the amp, I've achieved what I wanted. It sounds ten times cleaner and hits even harder now. Still going to tweak with it a little more to try to somewhat "perfect" it. Thanks once again TigerHeli! I appreciate it.

All Replies
  • Yes.

You already have both the amp and the sub?

The amp would be about perfect for a single SWR-1223D sub (or a pair of them).

With a 1243D, I would wire it like this:

http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ca/learningcenter/car/subwoofer_wiring/1DVC_4-ohm_mono.jpg

You will want to set the gain carefully so you aren't sending too much power to the sub.

Alternately, you could wire it like this (ignore the bridged amp logo):

http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ca/learningcenter/car/subwoofer_wiring/1DVC_4-ohm_2ch.jpg

But the amp is only around 300W RMS at 8-ohms.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• To make this easier for anyone who happens to look at this post and offer any help / advice. My manual for my sub shows 2 different ways for wiring a single sub, my model being the 1223D. Example 1, for a 4Ohm connection, it's the same as in "Figure 2" and Example 2, for a 1Ohm connection, its the same as "Figure 1".

Sub Specs:

Size: 12"

Power Handling (RMS/Peak): 600W / 1800W

Power Range (RMS): 300W / 600W

Freq. Response (Hz): 24Hz - 200Hz

As far as my amp goes (Kenwood KAC-9105 Class D Mono Power Amp) Specs:

Max Power Output: 1800W

Rated Power Output (+B = 14.4V)

4Ohm: 500W x 1

2Ohm: 900W x 1

1Ohm: > 900W x 1

Speaker Impedance: 1Ohm -  8Ohm.

*** If it's any help, this is my box at the moment, http://www.crutchfield.com/p_777BB1220V/Sound-Ordnance-Bass-Bunker.html?tp=554#overview-tab

What would be the most ideal way to wire and tine my amp to get the best performance? Once again any help is greatly appreciated. I'm a bit new to this and have done a decent amount of research to try and figure out what would be ideal for this setup.

• Rob92
    To make this easier for anyone who happens to look at this post and offer any help / advice.

It's easier to give correct advice if we have the correct information to start with!!! Angry

Rob92
    my model being the 1223D. Example 1, for a 4Ohm connection, it's the same as in "Figure 2" and Example 2, for a 1Ohm connection, its the same as "Figure 1".

You said you had a 1243D - and that's what I posted advice for.  If you have a 1223D, by all means wire it up for 4-ohms - Figure 2 or Example 1 (although I didn't check your manual).

The best way to set the gain is with a DMM - you want an AC Target voltage of 44.72 VAC.

Hope This Helps!!!

• Yeah I apologize about that  Tongue Tied. To make things a bit easier for you, this is what my manual shows me.

Picture: http://imgur.com/a/H2gEj

I've tried hooking it up as shown in Example one but it's so quiet and doesn't really bump at all. Granted I might have had it set wrong so that wouldn't help. As of right now, I have it wired for Example 2, and it pounds, but I feel like in the long run it will kill my sub. With knowing that I may be overpowering it too much, I don't blast my music on max volume. Once again, many thanks for helping me with this.

• Example 1 is what you want.

Example 2 should send 900W to the sub, but your amp isn't really 1-ohm stable (regardless of what Kenwood says), and I'd worry long-term about the amp with that setup also.

What have you tried as far as setting the gain?

• When I had it set like the the first time, I didn't really tweak with it much because I threw it in right before work because I was in a rush. I'll try it out again today and tweak with it more today since its nice outside and ask for some feedback if anymore is needed. I'll be back in a bit with my results.

Again, thanks for the help and being patient with me.

[edited by: Rob92 at 3:34 PM (GMT -5) on Mon, Mar 19 2012]
  • No problem - again, you want the sub wired for 4-ohms and the amp gain set to provide 44.72 VAC.  If your Head unit RCA's are low-voltage, you might have to go fairly high on the gain to achieve that.

Hope This Helps!!!

• After taking some time to rewire the sub and adjust the settings on the amp, I've achieved what I wanted. It sounds ten times cleaner and hits even harder now. Still going to tweak with it a little more to try to somewhat "perfect" it. Thanks once again TigerHeli! I appreciate it.

• Rob92
    tweak with it a little more

What head are you using for your source ? Might also be settings there you need to change or adjust, such as sub level, lowpass, highpass, etc.

GLH Geeked

• Sorry about taking so long to reply, I've been busy with work. I'm using a "Kenwood KDC-248U" headunit. It could be better but I was budgeting at the time.