Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Upgrading my Kicker Comps

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

Upgrading my Kicker Comps

This question is answered

I currently have a 2000 mustang convertible with the MACH 460 audio. great sound and everything, had good bass but i had to put 2 subs in the trunk. I went with 2 Kicker Comp 10 inch. They are good, but I want more, and I have narrowed down what I want to get. the amp I will be using is a $100 amp, about 1000 watts max power. (not the best I know)

WHAT SHOULD I REPLACE MY COMPS WITH????

This is what I have now: http://www.kicker.com/Comp

I am choosing between the Kicker CVT, and the JBL GTO1014.

Kicker CVT: http://www.kicker.com/CompVT

JBL GTO1014 http://www.jbl.com/estore/jbl/us/product/productDetails.jsp?pid=GTO1014

2 more subs i considered but not sure about.

http://www.infinitysystems.com/car/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=REF1060W&cat=REF&ser=REF&Language=ENG&Country=US&Region=USA           

http://www.poweracoustik.com/pa2012/subs-P3-10W.html

Or is there something else for around the same price i should get?
I am a fan of Kicker, and im just not sure about much else in car audio. I am only struggling with this decision, becuse I know the Kicker CVR is what I want, but cant afford, and the CVT is the closest thing...but I am seeing reviews that it really isnt that close. I dont need a shallow subwoofer but I cant pay the $130 for each. 
the JBL GTO 1014 seems like a good choice, I have no problem in getting them, i just dont want to find out later that the CVT would have been a better choice for me to get.

ALSO, I am using a custom box that will fit in my tiny trunk. Sealed, and not that much room, but its not to bad. I need a sub that can perform in a smaller space than average.

[edited by: Corey Danger at 5:57 PM (GMT -5) on Mon, Apr 16 2012]
Verified Answer
  • those Kicker's like a larger than average sealed box... put them in a small box and either they don't work or they have terrible response characteristics (they sound like garbage).   no, i'd still say the JBL even in a small sealed box.  the JL name would come in handy here, tho.  if you really want a small sealed box, the JL W0 line would be something worth looking into.  as it is, the JBL you mentioned would be happy in a ported box and Rap would take on a new-found authority. 

All Replies
  • Need to know what amp you have and what Kicker Comp's you have now, but ...

For example, if you have a pair of Kicker Comp SVC-8-ohms now, you could get a DVC-2-ohm CVR that would work about right off the amp you have now, save up for a mono amp around 500W-800W RMS at 2-ohms, then add the second CVR to that amp later.

You also need to remove the competitor links or another mod will later ...

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• TigerHeli
    You also need to remove the competitor links or another mod will later ...

i don't see an issue with the current links, but i saw this just moments after the edit. 

and yes, the amp model number would help with the sub suggestion.  those are 150 watt RMS subs tho, not especially powerful so an amp upgrade may need to be part of the consideration.

• I have the DUAL 400 watt amp. It was really cheap but it makes them kick pretty hard. I can be heard before im seen. I am going sell this amp tho and buy another one, thats 1000 watts max. (BOSS Phantom) or something like that.

Any suggestion or opinion of which subwoofer (CVT or GTO1014) is actually a better buy. (Ignore the price)

• Corey Danger
    I have the DUAL 400 watt amp.

that's really not enough info.  a model number would be best.

Corey Danger
    It was really cheap but it makes them kick pretty hard. I can be heard before im seen. I am going sell this amp tho and buy another one, thats 1000 watts max. (BOSS Phantom) or something like that.

maybe that would work, i don't know, but MAX and PEAK ratings are virtually useless.  what really matters is RMS (continuous) power.

• Dual XPE2700 400W Max, 2-Channel MOSFET XPE Series Power Amplifier
    is what I have now.
    I am looking at purchasing a Boss Phantom 4-Channel Mosfet Bridgeable Power Amplifier, 1000 W

[edited by: Corey Danger at 5:37 PM (GMT -5) on Mon, Apr 16 2012]
  • The Dual amp is a 2 channel, 150 RMS x 1 @ 4 ohms bridged, maybe, depends on if Dual is fibbing or not. 

As for the new amp, trust us when we say you don't want a 4 channel amp to run subs. Ideally you want a mono class D amp. 

Can you tell us the volume of your current enclosure?  If you can, then we can start recommending subs that would work well and be a nice upgrade, as well as an appropriate amp to power them. 

Don't skimp on the amp, it's an important part of the system, and it's usually salvageable from build to build, which can't be said for most components. 

1998 Honda Prelude, Pioneer DEH-P9400BH + Sirius tuner, Kicker KS6.2 front components, Kicker KS6930 rear speakers, Alpine MRP-F300 for speakers, Alpine SWR-1022 in ported box, Rockford Fosgate Punch 501s for sub.

• thx.  this is a class A/B 2 channel amp, stable to 2 ohms and listed on the hedgehog site to make 50 watts x2 RMS at 4 ohms.  the on-board 30 amp fusing suggests this amp could make a bit over 200 watts RMS, but it's rated on the same site to make 150 watts x1 bridged to 4 ohms.  it's actually a good choice for one of your Kicker C10's, but a tad weak for two. are they single 2 ohm or dual 2 ohm voice coil?  what is the final impedance seen by the current amp?  basically, how are they wired??

i'm just asking cuz you might be able to get more out of your current subs with an amp upgrade, and finally give them RMS power.  there's no way you're doing that with your current amp.

• ok, my amp choice is really limited. Will a 2 channel amp be ok?
    I cannot spend more than $100 on the amp, and as cheap as this one was it did a nice job. Im not looking to get 100% from the subs, just more than what im getting now.

The air space im not really sure about. Pretty small for my tiny trunk.
    around 1.8 possibly.

[edited by: Corey Danger at 6:30 PM (GMT -5) on Mon, Apr 16 2012]
  • Corey Danger
    Will a 2 channel amp be ok?

sure, but you would want to bridge it to a pair of subs, so you'd have to consider the lowest impedance the amp can handle, and choose subs (or the amp if you decide to keep your current subs) that match that impedance to avoid over-spending.  for instance, you don't want to buy a 600 watt amp that only makes 300 watts with your current sub's final impedance... it's cheaper to buy a 300 watt amp that makes 300 watts!  pretty obvious, just sayin...

you also don't want to buy a 300 watt amp that only makes 150, so matching the amp and subs is really the critical point in your purchasing decisions.  100 bucks is doable, but might get a better amp used at that price point or look at CF's outlet (scratch and ding stuff... still covered under warranty tho).  cheapest mono amp at the moment is this one at the moment, and i'd encourage you to only consider mono amps, but there are likely better deals if you look at 2 channel amps, but the amp features aren't as well-suited for sub duty with stereo amps... no subsonic filter is a given, and likely less variety of options for low-pass filter selection.

• Just as a peice of advice from someone who bought their crap. Dont buy BOSS.

• lol, ok NcTarHeel420, il try to stay away.

Can somebody find me the best possible amp for the CVT and/or the GTO1014 that is around $100

Honestly I dont care if its all that good, the amp I got was $55 and those 150rms subs are amazing for whatever its running. So whatever you would think I can get the best out of my money for the subs. thank you.

What I have found so far is this: RE Audio XT-800.2V3
    250 RMS for 2 channels at 2ohms (max of 500) So I wont overpower and its a big upgrade from my old amp.  That is pretty good for what im looking for. Any suggestions? I really dont want to go over $100 if I dotn have to.

[edited by: Corey Danger at 9:11 PM (GMT -5) on Mon, Apr 16 2012]
  • Corey Danger
    Can somebody find me the best possible amp for the CVT and/or the GTO1014 that is around $100

sadly, i cannot.  i'm restricted to abiding by the forum rules, and i'm not even certain if such an amp exists.  100 bucks is seriously tight for an amp that can properly power 2 subs!  maybe save up a bit?  i'm not sure i'd even want a 100 dollar amp/paper weight... rather take my girl out for a nice dinner instead of buying a crap amp i will hate!  but we all have priorities... i can't help you on this one.  budget is too tight for even my cheapest recommendations.  even assuming you keep those wimpy (pardon my bluntness) Kicker C10's, 100 bucks is too cheap for a decent enough amp. 

there's always used, tho.

• ha, its cool I understand.
    Il see what I can do, maby save up soon. for about 250 RMS on each subwoofer, and their stats, Including the fact that I have a smaller the normal sealed enclosure in my trunk, what would be your final recomendation.??? (Rap is by far my most played music)

The Kicker CVT
    or
    The JBL GTO1014

[edited by: Corey Danger at 9:57 PM (GMT -5) on Mon, Apr 16 2012]
  • Corey Danger

ha, its cool I understand.
    Il see what I can do, maby save up soon. for about 250 RMS on each subwoofer, and their stats, Including the fact that I have a smaller the normal sealed enclosure in my trunk, what would be your final recomendation.??? (Rap is by far my most played music)

The Kicker CVT
    or
    The JBL GTO1014

FINALLY!!! a question i am qualified to answer!  i'm not the best on the amp and wiring stuff, but when you say "i like THIS MUSIC and i'd like one of THESE subs", i'm your man!

JBL.  no question.  ported box.  1.3 ft chambers (gross) each, tuned to 32-35Hz.  i like these subs for rap.  maybe a JL 10W3 is better, but pricey and not a heck of a lot better.

• okay, I am going to try to get a ported box when I can because I like them allot better.
    Would the JBL still do better than the Kicker CVT (shallow Mount) even with my tiny sealed enclosure?