Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

CVR or CVX

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

CVR or CVX

This question is answered

I have a small trunk with a cutom (pretty small) sealed box. I wanna go cheap but this is the last upgrade il do. 10 inch subs only.
I have 2 kicker comp 10s and they kick hard but i wanna replace them and the amp. (not the box)

So is a cvx really that much better if my box is very litmited? should I stick with the CVR or go all the way?

If I do go with the CVX, what is an amp I can use to power them? (I have a 1200 watt wiring kit)

Verified Answer
  • Let me kick something past you before you do that ...

You were considering the Hifonics HFI1000d.

It's specs are (probably over-rated, at):

• 4 ohms: 475 watts x 1 chan.
    • 2 ohms: 750 watts x 1 chan.
    • 1 ohms: 1000 watts x 1 chan.

That gives a prediction of 356W RMS at 8-ohms - which is about right for the Kicker Comps if the amp is a bit generous.

Get the new amp and wire the Kicker Comps in series at 8-ohms to it and set the gain to give them 300W RMS - 48.98 Volts AC.

You are going from 50W to 150W to each sub or triple the power.

If it sounds good, you saved yourself the cost of the CVR's.  If you still want more, you can buy the CVR's later and you still haven't lost anything.

Just a thought ...

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

All Replies
  • 10-inch CVX handles 750W RMS each - One CVX would be about the same as two CVR's (in power handling - probably not in volume).

Hifonics BRZ1200.1D or BRZ1700.1D would be a good amp for the DVC-4-ohm subs wired in parallel-parallel for 1-ohm final.

Corey Danger
    (I have a 1200 watt wiring kit)

Means nothing, but the HFi1000D uses an 80A fuse and needs at least a 4-guage wiring kit.  The amps above use 140A and 160A fuses and would need at least 2-gauge wiring (and maybe alternator/battery upgrades as well).

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• ok, I doubt il upgrade the battery or anything... But Kicker says the CVX had a 600 watt RMS for the 10s... which is what il be getting.

• Corey Danger
    ok, I doubt il upgrade the battery or anything

It's not really optional.  If the car won't start every couple of days, you either improve the alternator or don't play the subs as loud (which defeats the purpose of getting better subs and a better amp).

Corey Danger
    But Kicker says the CVX had a 600 watt RMS for the 10s.

Correct - I made a bone-head mistake and looked up the specs for a 10CVX122  (10 is the production year, not the sub size).  The 10's are 600W, you would want the BRZ1200.1D and forget about the BRZ1700.1D.

Hope This Helps!!!

• So, If I get the  BRZ1200.1D, and run the 2 Kicker CVXs, do you think my battery will go down?
    I really wanna keep this cheap, and dont feel like upgrading my battery while also paying more for amp and subs.
    Should I upgrade to the CVR's or do you think I can power the CVXs and not have to worry about battery?

idk if it matters but...I keep my headunit around 20-25 out of 50 most of the time, so I rarely go over half way on my volume.

[edited by: Corey Danger at 5:22 PM (GMT -5) on Wed, Apr 25 2012]
  • im really leaning toward the CVRs right now.
    I want an upgrade but it would be so much cheaper to go with the CVRs, and then I just wont have to worry about the battery.

Maby the next car il get will just be loaded with subs when il have money then.

Sucks being a teenager with little money... any suggestions? CVR or CVX?

[edited by: Corey Danger at 9:45 PM (GMT -5) on Wed, Apr 25 2012]
  • I think 2 CVRs fully powered will be hella loud. To go to the next level from there likely means upgrading your whole electrical system. 

I have a similar sized car ('98 Honda Prelude) with only 500 watts on a single ported 10 and another 50x4 on the speakers. It gets louder than most people can stand. No, it won't win any SPL competitions but it should satisfy most people, and I like my bass LOUD. 

2 fully powered CRVs would make me more than happy, and probably rattle my car to bits in the process. 

My opinion is go with CRVs

Good luck 

1998 Honda Prelude, Pioneer DEH-P9400BH + Sirius tuner, Kicker KS6.2 front components, Kicker KS6930 rear speakers, Alpine MRP-F300 for speakers, Alpine SWR-1022 in ported box, Rockford Fosgate Punch 501s for sub.

• Corey Danger
    Should I upgrade to the CVR's or do you think I can power the CVXs and not have to worry about battery?

idk if it matters but...I keep my headunit around 20-25 out of 50 most of the time, so I rarely go over half way on my volume.

ColumbusJBR likely has the best answer, but just for completeness.

Whether you have to worry about the battery really depends on alternator size, but we are talking about a 2000 Mustang convertible (comparatively large alternator), with the stock Mach 460 main speakers and head unit.

First off, if you are only going up to halfway on the head unit volume, I would think the Comps (properly powered) would be a bit much and you would end up reducing the gain on the amp to blend them with the mains.  Between the HFi1000d and the BRZ1200.1D amps, we are talking about 80A draw as opposed to 140A draw (in addition to the normal vehicle electrical).  That is running both amps full out, so if you didn't turn the amp all the way up, it doesn't make much sense to spend the extra money.  (Similar to buying a Corvette instead of your Mustang if you are only driving 45 MPH to the grocery store.)

Hope This Helps!!!

• I get what your saying, but my gain is pretty high up there (almost max) and bass bosot is on +6 (i think +12 is to much, I feel like im overpowering them)
    and around 25 volume, the bass really does kick and I love it but I like ALLOT of bass and im scared to blow the subs turning them up to high, I really do feel the CVR will provide more power.

So properly powering the CVRs will in fact allow me to use more bass and set the gain to a proper level instead of trying to get all the power out of the amp.

My comps may not be all that efficent due to the cheap amp (Dual 400 watt amp) and the small sealed enclosure, so I just want to be able to push more power through to get more out of it., I understand that I could upgrade simply the box and everything but im looking for more ouput from amp and subs, im keeping the box.

**I know this amp may push 75RMS to each sub, and I know its half, but watching the subs around half volume on a bass heavy song I just feel like its pushing to much. Watching youtube videos of the same subs and better ones, I just feel like im pushing mine to hard...then again, maby im just overprotective. But I want to be able to properly set gain and everything on powerful subs instead of what im doing now (max gain and some bass boost) by the time my headunit gets to 30/50 my speakers start to distort and I wish I could throw in more bass**

[edited by: Corey Danger at 9:25 AM (GMT -5) on Thu, Apr 26 2012]
  • Need to back up ...

Setting the gain "pretty high up" is not the best way to max out the amp or ensure you don't damage the subs.

If you aren't good at setting it by ear, pick up a DMM and see: http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/3704-how-to-set-your-amplifier-gain/

And - http://www.the12volt.com/ohm/ohmslawcalculators.asp#voltage - bottom equation.

The XPE2700 amp with a 30A fuse, correct?

We never got an answer on how the subs were wired or whether they are SVC-8-ohm or SVC-4-ohm, but you would use the DMM to set the gain to the lower of the subs power handling or the predicted clean output of the amp.

Give me more info and we can go from there - for the CVR's, you would want 800W RMS at 1-ohm, so your target voltage is 28.28 VAC.

Corey Danger
    So properly powering the CVRs will in fact allow me to use more bass and set the gain to a proper level instead of trying to get all the power out of the amp.

Correct - you want to get all the power the subs can handle or all the CLEAN (non-clipped, non-distorted) power out of the amp - whichever is less.

Hope This Helps!!!

• ok well the amp is the XPE2700, your right. My gain is maxed out and bass boost is on +6

The subs im not sure of the ohms... I really just dont know, and the instructions manuel that came with them is for both 4 and 8 resistance...so idk.

they are wired so that the amp is putting power to 2 channels, all I know.

Volume: 10
    Mids and Highs: Decent / Bass: pretty weak

Volume: 15
    Mids and Highs: average / Bass: kinda weak

Volume: 20
    Mids and Highs: loud / Bass: average

Volume: 25
    Mids and Highs: really loud! / Bass: above average

Volume: 30
    Mids and Highs: Insanily loud!!! / Bass: heavy and good... but i want more

Volume: anything past 35...
    Mids and Highs: I think im deaf! / Bass: now thats  good... but I could use more (im addicted)

All my friends seem agree on that .

[edited by: Corey Danger at 5:12 PM (GMT -5) on Thu, Apr 26 2012]
  • Okay, it really doesn't matter with this system, but you might want to see what you can do with it before you go any further.

You need to know what the subs impedance is.

If you take one out of the box, they should have the model number on the back.  C108 is 8-ohm and C104 is 4-ohm.

If you don't want to take them out, you'll need a DMM to set the gain properly anyway - just measure the DC Resistance of each sub.  It will probably be a bit low, but if it's 3.8-ohms, they're 4-ohm, if it's 7.2-ohms, they're 8-ohms.

Most likely they are 4-ohm.  If so, you are somewhat out of luck - the amp will (according to ratings) supply 50W to them each in stereo.  You could wire them in series and bridge the amp and you should split 100W RMS to them, but you will never get the full 150W Rated power out of the amp.  With them wired as they are, your target voltage for setting the gain would be 14.14 Volts AC.

Now - you might find that they are 8-ohms subs.  In that case, you are really in luck.  The way you have them wired, the amp is sending maybe 38W at 8-ohms to each sub.  Wire them in parallel and bridge the amp and that jumps to 150W @ 4-ohms.  Double the power to each sub from nothing more than a simple wiring change!!!  If you do that, your target voltage across the bridged terminals is 24.49 Volts AC.

I'll be AFK until Monday, but hopefully this helps.

• ehh, I checked... 4oms -.-
    okay, well I guess il just upgrade to the CVR and go from there.
    thanks for the help.

• Let me kick something past you before you do that ...

You were considering the Hifonics HFI1000d.

It's specs are (probably over-rated, at):

• 4 ohms: 475 watts x 1 chan.
    • 2 ohms: 750 watts x 1 chan.
    • 1 ohms: 1000 watts x 1 chan.

That gives a prediction of 356W RMS at 8-ohms - which is about right for the Kicker Comps if the amp is a bit generous.

Get the new amp and wire the Kicker Comps in series at 8-ohms to it and set the gain to give them 300W RMS - 48.98 Volts AC.

You are going from 50W to 150W to each sub or triple the power.

If it sounds good, you saved yourself the cost of the CVR's.  If you still want more, you can buy the CVR's later and you still haven't lost anything.

Just a thought ...

• ah yeah, good idea. Thanks, i might try that. I dont mind paying to much more for the CVRs tho, and it would be cool to have them anyway instad of base model comps.

I jsut didnt wanna throw even more money for a bigger amp and then even more money on 2 CVXs if the CVRs would satasify, which it looks like im really going to get some kick from them. Thanks for the help

• Oh, quick question, when I get the Hifonics HFI1000d, and upgrade to CVRs, I want the 4ohm version, and wire the amp to 1omh?

Is this correct?

Also, what would be the difference in me getting the 2ohm version of the subwoofer?