Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

What is the best way to wire 2- 4ohm dvc alpine type r's to a lanzar vibe 286 2 channel amp?

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

What is the best way to wire 2- 4ohm dvc alpine type r's to a lanzar vibe 286 2 channel amp?

This question is answered

I need some professional clarification on this process. I have 2 4ohm dvc alpine type r 12's and I need to know the optimal way to hook them up to a lanzar vibe 286 amp. 

Here are the specs for my amp...

http://www.lanzar.com/manuals/VIBE226-236-246-256-266-276-286-416-426-436.pdf

These are the exact Type r's in question

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-5AZwcNirw3j/p_500SWR1242/Alpine-SWR-1242D.html <Mod Edit: Linked to Crutchfield. Please link to Crutchfield's Item Page or manufacturer's website. Thanks.>

Also, I am a complete noob, so please be extremely clear in your description please. 

Im assuming from the reading Ive done that this amp is not 1ohm stable, and that my optimal hook up would be running these subs at 2ohms. If this is correct, what is the proper method. Thanks so much in advance for the help with this. Please dont respond if you are not 100% sure of the answer. Thanks again......if you need to know any additional info from my end, please ask. Ill respond asap.

[edited by: TigerHeli at 9:18 AM (GMT -5) on Wed, May 9 2012] http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_4281_Alpine-SWR-1242D.html
Verified Answer
  • Run your subwoofers like so.....

And run your positive wire to the Left Channel (+) and the Negative Wire to your Right Channel (-) so that the amp goes into "bridge" mode. There should be a diagram under your channels (+)(-) that says "bridged" and points to exactly what terminals to connect to.

Hope this helps.....anyone else think of something better?? 

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Alpine iDA-305SBT w/Imprint; SPR-60C Front; SPR-60 Rear; 2 JL 10w1v2; Alpine PDX-5

• GLH
    Sometimes there is more than one correct answer ! What's wrong with mine ?

Depends on your point of view, but the question was "How can I wire two Alpine subs to my Lanzar Amp?"  Your reply was "You can wire them at 1-ohm with an amp that is 1000W RMS at 1-ohm" - that's more of a suggestion than an answer.  It wasn't bad advice and actually in fact is the best advice, but it didn't answer what was being asked.

LOWCOUNTRYDAVE
    So do I make the bridge from one sub to the other inside of the speaker box? This doesnt seem possible without drilling a hole inside the box which I dont want to do. Can I make the jump outside the box, from one speaker terminal to the other? Sorry for being a complete noob, but the help is much appreciated?

GLH's answer here is not incorrect, but is very misleading.

What Kennedy's Crutchfield diagram is showing is two DVC-4-ohm subs with the voice coils wired together in series for an 8-ohm load and then the subs wired together in parallel for a 4-ohm load at the amp.

You DO have to open the box to wire the subs for 8-ohms.  You DO NOT have to drill holes through the interior of the box and wire the subs together to connect the subs to the amp (assuming the box has two sets of terminal cups, which your reply implied it does).

I don't have a fantastic diagram of this, but assuming you still have the subwoofer jumpers, you would wire each sub inside the box to the box terminals like Page 4 - Example 1, One amp, One subwoofer, 8-ohms in the manual.

You then wire the terminal cups in parallel to the bridged terminals of the amp.  Here is an example of that:

The image shows the sub voice coils wired in parallel for a 2-ohm load on each sub, but ignore the in-box wiring and wire the box to the amp as shown above and you will be all set.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

All Replies
  • Run your subwoofers like so.....

And run your positive wire to the Left Channel (+) and the Negative Wire to your Right Channel (-) so that the amp goes into "bridge" mode. There should be a diagram under your channels (+)(-) that says "bridged" and points to exactly what terminals to connect to.

Hope this helps.....anyone else think of something better?? 

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Alpine iDA-305SBT w/Imprint; SPR-60C Front; SPR-60 Rear; 2 JL 10w1v2; Alpine PDX-5

• Here is a diagram to show how to wire to amp...

• LOWCOUNTRYDAVE
    this amp is not 1ohm stable, and that my optimal hook up would be running these subs at 2ohms

You can only wire those 2 subs together as a 1 ohm or 4 ohm load to an amp. Optimally, you need a 1 ohm stable mono amp which outputs 1000 watts RMS and wire it to the subs like so -

GLH Geeked

• Kennedy's reply is correct.

You could also wire the subs as 2-ohms stereo, but bridged is preferred.

Note that the Lanzar amp is Class AB with 70A of internal fuses, so I would expect it to make about 500W RMS bridged.  It will work okay, but a more powerful amp would be better.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Sometimes there is more than one correct answer ! What's wrong with mine ?

GLH Geeked

• I want to try Kennedy's suggestion...

So do I make the bridge from one sub to the other inside of the speaker box? This doesnt seem possible without drilling a hole inside the box which I dont want to do. Can I make the jump outside the box, from one speaker terminal to the other? Sorry for being a complete noob, but the help is much appreciated? 

I want to try Kennedy's suggestion...

[edited by: LOWCOUNTRYDAVE at 12:44 AM (GMT -5) on Thu, May 10 2012]
  • Well, unless you have a 1 ohm stable amp, you sorta have to, with those subs and that amp.

You just pull the subs off the baffle and fix the wiring. They should just be held onto the box with screws.

GLH Geeked

• GLH
    Sometimes there is more than one correct answer ! What's wrong with mine ?

Depends on your point of view, but the question was "How can I wire two Alpine subs to my Lanzar Amp?"  Your reply was "You can wire them at 1-ohm with an amp that is 1000W RMS at 1-ohm" - that's more of a suggestion than an answer.  It wasn't bad advice and actually in fact is the best advice, but it didn't answer what was being asked.

LOWCOUNTRYDAVE

GLH's answer here is not incorrect, but is very misleading.

What Kennedy's Crutchfield diagram is showing is two DVC-4-ohm subs with the voice coils wired together in series for an 8-ohm load and then the subs wired together in parallel for a 4-ohm load at the amp.

You DO have to open the box to wire the subs for 8-ohms.  You DO NOT have to drill holes through the interior of the box and wire the subs together to connect the subs to the amp (assuming the box has two sets of terminal cups, which your reply implied it does).

I don't have a fantastic diagram of this, but assuming you still have the subwoofer jumpers, you would wire each sub inside the box to the box terminals like Page 4 - Example 1, One amp, One subwoofer, 8-ohms in the manual.

You then wire the terminal cups in parallel to the bridged terminals of the amp.  Here is an example of that:

The image shows the sub voice coils wired in parallel for a 2-ohm load on each sub, but ignore the in-box wiring and wire the box to the amp as shown above and you will be all set.

Hope This Helps!!!

• Well said Tiger. Bought to try this now, will post my findings when finished. Thanks again.....

• Ok Tiger, I tried the method you suggested in the last post, Im 99.9% confident I did everything exactly as you suggested. It sounded as though I had one 5 inch sub, as in I could barely even tell I had woofers. 

Say my speakers connections look like this....     + - + -

When I run wire from + to + and - to -, then run wire from the left most + to the right most - on both speakers, I have some serious boom. Is this a harmful setup? Hope I said that so it could be understood. Any suggestions as to why when trying the method you suggested it sounded as though I hardly had beat? Thanks in advance!

It looks like the diagram you last posted, except without bridging to the amp and using both terminals.....

[edited by: LOWCOUNTRYDAVE at 12:22 PM (GMT -5) on Thu, May 10 2012]
  • No, I didn't quite follow that, but I think you are running the amp in stereo (2-channel mode) at 8-ohms, rather than bridged at 4-ohms - and YES, THAT WILL MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE!!!

Let's take it from the beginning:

• Assuming you still have the subwoofer jumpers, you would wire each sub inside the box to the box terminals like Page 4 - Example 1, One amp, One subwoofer, 8-ohms in the manual.
    • Assuming the subs are wired internally to the box correctly: 

• Ignore the in-box wiring and here's a word description for the box to amp wiring:
      • You want to wire from the right+ terminal cup to the Left+ Terminal cup, and to the L+ Terminal of the amp.  Also, wire from the Right - Terminal to the Left - Terminal to the R- Terminal on the amp.
      • Alternately (a bit sloppier and harder to wire and not shown) - Wire the Left+ and Right+ terminal to the L+ terminal on the amp.  Wire the Right- and Left - terminals to the R- terminal on the amp.
      • IN NO CASE should anything be connected to the L- or R+ terminal on the amp.

Hope This Helps!!!

• Thats how I did it, using the alternative sloppy method, and I hardly had any boom. Should 8ohms be louder than 4 ohms?

• Alternative sloppy method is the same as recommended - still would be bridged at 4-ohms.

Did you try turning up the gain (LEVEL) on the amp?

There aren't a lot of options for wiring these:

Stereo at 8-ohms - not good
    Stereo at 2-ohms - okay
    Bridged at 4-ohms - should be the same as stereo at 2-ohms
    Bridged at 1-ohm - roughly 4x the power of above, but I wouldn't expect the amp to be stable.

• LOWCOUNTRYDAVE
    Im 99.9% confident I did everything exactly as you suggested. It sounded as though I had one 5 inch sub, as in I could barely even tell I had woofers. 

doesn't add up to me.  TH's suggestion seems the most correct with your current amp.  perhaps there's something in that 0.1% that isn't exactly right.  when i have this issue, first thing i try is reversing the phase of one of the subs.  just switch the Pos and Neg on one of the terminal cups, and hopefully that corrects the issue.  there is no other wiring configuration i can think of that would be superior to what TH suggested.  they may simply be out of phase.

• Thinking about it over the weekend ...

One other possibility is that you don't have each individual sub wired for 8-ohms.  The instructions are pretty clear, but if you aren't familiar with DVC subs, I've seen people connect the pos and neg on the SAME voice coil - which leaves you with an SVC-4-ohm sub with 1/2 the power handling and unpredictable parameters.

Not saying to did that, but you should check the resistances of the subs with a DMM.

Hope This Helps!!!