Car audio tuning.

This question is not answered

I have sony  CDX-GT565UP head unit, Sound Ordnance™ P-52CB - Front, tweeters and speakers, Pioneer Gmail h120 brI'd get 4 channel power amplifier, 2 jl audio 10 inch 150 watts subwoofer in an in closed box, lightning audio capacitor And I'm having a lot of trouble tuning everything. There is distortion through all the speakers. I'm not sure why. I've tried many guides and methods still. Any help would be greatly appreciated. In a 2004 bmw 330xi

All Replies
  • well i just took a trip back in time to get some general info on that "Gmail h120 brl'd get" amp, and came across a service manual for the GM-H120.  that unit is so outdated it would be impressive if it was even functioning correctly.  i'm not sure if that's your amp, but click the link and see if the images match what you have. need a bit more info to help out.  you can't effectively drive all those speakers with this amp, so please explain the setup a bit more. 

is the Sony HU powering speakers?  which ones?

what's the model number of the JL Audio subs? 

what is actually connected to the amp, and how?

if i were using these components, i think i'd run the S.O. components off 2 channels of the amp, and a single 10" JL on the rear channels in bridged mode.  

• The HU is powering the sound ordinance speakers. The capacitor and subs are connected to the amp.

• That is the amp and the subs are JL Audio 10W0v3-4 I have 2 in an in closed box

• it's hard to know where to start, since you say you're getting distortion thru ALL the speakers.  that means the HU itself may be sending a distorted signal to the front speakers, or the front speakers are not configured correctly.  and if the subs aren't sounding right, it could be the HU preamps, the amplifier itself, or even the subs, or an incorrect configuration... sheez!  some more info would help, but anyhoo...

the HU's front speaker outputs must be connected to the passive crossover, and the crossover will send the Highs/Lows to the Tweeter/Midbass.  get that wrong, and your tweeters will blow.  immediately.  bear in mind that the HU's output is only about 15watts, and the speakers have a 50w RMS rating.  you'd be better served to connect them to the amp, even tho that means using only one sub.  when using the HU's internal amp to drive speakers, you can't expect to be able to turn it all the way up without distortion.  3/4 is often where they top out, even on very pricey HU's.  barring some extreme equalization curves, the preamps can usually go all the way up without distortion. 

using a 4 channel amp for subs is hardly the best choice, but it's doable.  mono sub amps are super affordable, and that Pioneer you have is really ancient.  it has one particular quirk to watch out for... how it's bridged.  it's practically an industry standard that to bridge an amplifier you use the Left Pos and Right Neg speaker connections.  been that way on every amp i've ever used.  but yours just wants to be different, and you use the Left Neg and Right Pos.  i might have done this wrong myself, so make sure you have it correct. 

that's just what's buzzing in my head as possible problems, but expand on what issues you're having with the sound quality.  saying every speaker has distortion is just too broad of an issue to attempt fault isolation.  you are getting signal to each speaker, so that's a plus.  is it only bad at high volumes?  is the bass at least decent?  have you tried using the HU's high-pass crossover on the S.O. speakers?  i seem to have more questions than answersEmbarrassed

• Okay. I've done lots of messing around and now I believe everything is set correctly. But the "band" frequencys. There are 7 bands. I am confused on what to set them to.. I'm not sure what they mean.

• Everything sounds fine but the two tweeters...

• How would I know what to set the "band's" at. BAND1: 63 Hz

BAND2: 160 Hz

BAND3: 400 Hz

BAND4: 1 kHz

BAND5: 2.5 kHz

BAND6: 6.3 kHz

BAND7: 16.0 kHz

• in an ideal system, you would set every band to 0.  

you've got a 7 band equalizer, which is nice to have.  much more fine tuning is possible than with simple bass and treble adjustments, which could be called a 2 band equalizer.  

sound breaks down into frequencies measured in Hertz.  it's often stated that human ears can detect sounds from 20Hz up to 20kHz.  that varies among the population, but it's not worth arguing about.  the lowest, deepest bass rumble you typically hear in popular music is about 30Hz, and the shiniest, high-pitch treble notes are 16,000Hz (16kHz).  so lower bands are toward bass, and upper bands are towards treble.  

adjusting the EQ is not always necessary, and most audiophiles that are staunchly dedicated to "pure" music will say they are to be avoided entirely.  i usually find some adjustment is needed to get the sound that i like, but i wouldn't adjust anything more than 3dB's up or down.  

tweeters are very efficient speakers, and i normally find them too loud at the factory setting.  if the tweeters are too bright and/or you have hissing "Sss" sounds in vocals, turn down band 6 and 7 two or three decibels, and they should smooth out.  

hope this is helpful!