Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Subwoofer question (space)

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

Subwoofer question (space)

This question is answered

Fixing to do a build for a toyota tacoma and have a question regarding space. The enclosure im using has a 5 7/8" - 6" depth and the subs have about a depth of 5" to 5 1/8 " will ~1" be enough of space from the back of the subwoofer (which is ported) to the back of the enclosure. The enclosure is not ported.

Verified Answer
  • it's either perfectly fine, or too close for comfort.  this is tough to call, because the depth of 5-7/8" needs to specify internal or external dimensions to be of any help.  

if the box is exactly 5-7/8" deep measured externally, with a wood thickness of 3/4", than the maximum depth for a sub would be 5-1/8".  you'd have to add a baffle ring or sand out a portion of the box for the sub to cool properly.  

if the box is exactly 5-7/8" deep measured internally, with a wood thickness of 3/4", than the maximum depth for a sub would be 6-3/8".  that's more than plenty.

if you've got none of the above, but you know the sub will have about 1" of clearance, you're fine.  i wouldn't even concern myself with clearance until i was under a half inch.  

All Replies
  • it's either perfectly fine, or too close for comfort.  this is tough to call, because the depth of 5-7/8" needs to specify internal or external dimensions to be of any help.  

if the box is exactly 5-7/8" deep measured externally, with a wood thickness of 3/4", than the maximum depth for a sub would be 5-1/8".  you'd have to add a baffle ring or sand out a portion of the box for the sub to cool properly.  

if the box is exactly 5-7/8" deep measured internally, with a wood thickness of 3/4", than the maximum depth for a sub would be 6-3/8".  that's more than plenty.

if you've got none of the above, but you know the sub will have about 1" of clearance, you're fine.  i wouldn't even concern myself with clearance until i was under a half inch.  

• Alright thanks! Im trying to not have to go for a shallow mount because of obvious reasons (quality, etc). Hoping i can make it work.

• watchmeburst1
    Im trying to not have to go for a shallow mount because of obvious reasons

if only everyone thought like this.  avoid shallow-mounts wherever possible!