F-150 Supercrew design help

This question is answered

I am wanting to do something under the rear seat of my truck. I am wanting to build a SQ system. Unless I raise the rear seat, I'm looking at .70 cf per chamber in a sealed setup. Without raising the seat, this setup would either be up firing our down firing. I like the idea of using 12s to cover more range than 10s. If I raise my rear seat a couple inches, I could possibly fit regular 10s in a forward firing setup. What is the preferred setup as far as subwoofer size as it pertains to volume and sound quality? I've also read that some good quality equipment can be had using brands that are not household names I.e. Fosgate, Kicker, etc. I am not severely budgeted but I'm not hemorrhaging cash either. I will build the system and enclosure myself. Once I figure out, with some help, the subwoofer issue, I'll move on to planning the mids and highs. Any and all opinions are extremely welcome. Thank you in advance

Verified Answer
  • when choosing a sub, it's advisable to know how much enclosure space you have to work with ahead of time.  with only 0.7ft per sub, you are looking at sealed 10's or ported 8's.  if you cram 12" subs in a space smaller than they are intended for, they will not play deep bass with any authority; they will play snare drums great tho.  

i'd go ported 8's myself, i'd even consider ported 6.5" subs.  but whether you prefer deeper bass or punchier bass has to be considered as well.  i find ported 8's to be punchy enough, but they won't be as punchy as sealed 10's.  sealed 10's won't play deep bass with as much authority as ported 8's in that small of an enclosure, so it's really a matter of what music you listen to most.  

regardless of the subs you choose, it has been consistently observed that the acoustics of pickups benefit most from down-firing subs.  

All Replies
  • when choosing a sub, it's advisable to know how much enclosure space you have to work with ahead of time.  with only 0.7ft per sub, you are looking at sealed 10's or ported 8's.  if you cram 12" subs in a space smaller than they are intended for, they will not play deep bass with any authority; they will play snare drums great tho.  

i'd go ported 8's myself, i'd even consider ported 6.5" subs.  but whether you prefer deeper bass or punchier bass has to be considered as well.  i find ported 8's to be punchy enough, but they won't be as punchy as sealed 10's.  sealed 10's won't play deep bass with as much authority as ported 8's in that small of an enclosure, so it's really a matter of what music you listen to most.  

regardless of the subs you choose, it has been consistently observed that the acoustics of pickups benefit most from down-firing subs.  

• Thank you. I didn't know that about pickups. I will definitely design for down firing. I'm also tossing around the idea of raising the rear seat to gain space and use traditional regular mount subs.

• due to the popularity of pickups, there are likely several pre-fab boxes available, and at relatively cheap prices considering the complexity of the box.  odd angles and such.  i won't recommend anything in particular, but google "F-150" and "enclosures" and sift through it a bit.  if you can't find anything appealing, at least you'll get an idea of how you'd like to construct your own.  it's certainly possible to use traditional subs, and you'd be doing yourself a great disservice to set out buying shallow-mount subs.  they... are not great.