Ohm stability

This question is answered

I'm looking to run 3 10s in a series in my sonata. The amp I'm looking at is 2 ohm stable, what ohm subs do I need to run them all off one channel?  It's a d series mono amp. Thanks

Verified Answer
  • 3 subs can be tricky, since most subs are 2 or 4 or 8 ohms.  you could run three 8ohm subs, or three dual 4ohm subs, but you'd get a 2.66 load at the amp.  that's perfectly workable, but you will get less power from the amp than at 2ohms final.  it would be great if you could find 6 ohm subs, but they're niche and seldom made.  

what i've found is that any configuration that will support three 10's will usually be just as good or better with 2 more powerful 10's.  having more enclosure room gives you attractive porting options, and 2 ported 10's will stomp 3 sealed 10's all day.  the only real world advantage to having 3 subs is that it looks cool.  maybe four 8" subs could work?

there are some amps that allow full power within a range of impedance loads, so if you've got perhaps a JL Audio HD series or Slash series amp, you'd be able to to run 3 subs at full power from 1.5 to 4 ohms.  

All Replies
  • 3 subs can be tricky, since most subs are 2 or 4 or 8 ohms.  you could run three 8ohm subs, or three dual 4ohm subs, but you'd get a 2.66 load at the amp.  that's perfectly workable, but you will get less power from the amp than at 2ohms final.  it would be great if you could find 6 ohm subs, but they're niche and seldom made.  

what i've found is that any configuration that will support three 10's will usually be just as good or better with 2 more powerful 10's.  having more enclosure room gives you attractive porting options, and 2 ported 10's will stomp 3 sealed 10's all day.  the only real world advantage to having 3 subs is that it looks cool.  maybe four 8" subs could work?

there are some amps that allow full power within a range of impedance loads, so if you've got perhaps a JL Audio HD series or Slash series amp, you'd be able to to run 3 subs at full power from 1.5 to 4 ohms.  

• Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated, after a little more research on the amp I'm using, I'm just gonna keep it simple and roll with 2 12s, I have the space and they will pound. Thanks again man