07CVR124 Wiring Question

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

07CVR124 Wiring Question

This question is answered

Hello all,

I currently have 2 07CVR124 12inch subwoofers from Kicker. They are really nice subs, and I currently have them wired in parallel hooked up to a budget amp my friend gave me.

The Subs I have www.crutchfield.com/.../Kicker-CompVR-07CVR124.html

The Amp I have a Crunch P1-1050.1

<Mod Edit: Per our linking policies, please link to the manufacturer or to the Crutchfield site whenever possible. thanks. >

As I mentioned, the subs are wired in parallel which means that the dual 4 ohm coils are running in 2ohm, according to Kicker's wiring diagram here www.kicker.com/wiring-diagrams

My amp says it supports 1x500 @4ohm and 1x1000 @2ohm, according to Amazon. Inside the box, the parallel wired subs go to one output, and that one output goes to the outer most positive and outer most negative connection on the amp.

I have 2 questions about this setup.

1. Does this sound like it is wired correctly?

2. Can someone recommend an AMP that might better suit my needs? This amp cuts out sometimes when it's hot out, or if I have been driving for a long time. The cooling on it doesn't seem that great, and it gets very hot (which makes me suspect my wiring is incorrect).

Removed link to Amazon
Verified Answer
  • Your subs are wired together for a total load of 1 ohm. They handle 400 watts RMS each. You need an amp that outputs at least 800 watts RMS @ 1 ohm. The amp you have is not 1 ohm stable which is why it gets hot and shuts down. The subs can be wired to themselves in series for 8 ohm each and then parallel with each other for 4 ohms final at the box. If so, you need an amp that outputs at least 800 watts @ 4 ohms.

GLH Geeked

• images.crutchfieldonline.com/.../2DVC_4-ohm_mono.jpg

images.crutchfieldonline.com/.../2-DVC-4-ohm-mono-low-imp.jpg

I like Kicker, Alpine, RF, MTX, Sound Ordnance. Just make sure whatever amp you use will do the 800 watts RMS, not peak or max. forget anything except RMS.

GLH Geeked

All Replies
  • Your subs are wired together for a total load of 1 ohm. They handle 400 watts RMS each. You need an amp that outputs at least 800 watts RMS @ 1 ohm. The amp you have is not 1 ohm stable which is why it gets hot and shuts down. The subs can be wired to themselves in series for 8 ohm each and then parallel with each other for 4 ohms final at the box. If so, you need an amp that outputs at least 800 watts @ 4 ohms.

GLH Geeked

• 800 watts RMS @ 4 ohms.

GLH Geeked

• Thank you GLH, very informative answer. I see that you recently replied to quite a few threads. I appreciate your assistance.

If you don't mind, I have a couple new questions with regard to your answer, as well as a request for advice.

When you say that my subs are wired together for a 1ohm load, this is taking in to account that each sub is wired in parallel with themselves, and then parallel together, correct? I'm about 95% sure this is what you meant, just wanted to get clarity.

To wire them in series parallel, as you suggested, I would wire them like this http://i.imgur.com/XhPTZaR.png correct?

And lastly, is there an amp you would recommend for my setup? I would really like to nail down this sub-woofer setup before I invest in to my door speakers.

• images.crutchfieldonline.com/.../2DVC_4-ohm_mono.jpg

images.crutchfieldonline.com/.../2-DVC-4-ohm-mono-low-imp.jpg

I like Kicker, Alpine, RF, MTX, Sound Ordnance. Just make sure whatever amp you use will do the 800 watts RMS, not peak or max. forget anything except RMS.

GLH Geeked

• Thank you very much, GLH, you've been a tremendous help.

• GLH, I checked Crutchfield, and I believe this amp looks like it would work for my needs, keeping a 1 ohm wiring scheme. If you see this, can you please confirm? If so, I will be purchasing this one.

www.crutchfield.com/.../Pioneer-GM-D9601.html

Also, a side note/question... This says it's a mono amp, but has 4 outputs (2 channel), when wiring I would wire to the outer most connections, correct?

Again, thank you for the help. I'd love to buy you a beer if possible lol.

• That Crunch amplifier you are borrowing has Class AB circuitry and 60AMPS of fusing, it's NOT going to produce 1000RMS, in fact, that's a PEAK rating, it's RMS ratings are 250RMS@4 ohms and 500RMS@2 ohms.

If your subs are in separate chambers in the enclosure, I'd recommend wiring just one up to the amp at 2 ohms, at least until you get the replacement.

No idea if the enclosure you have is sealed or ported, if it's ported, you need an amplifier with a Subsonic/infrasonic filter you can set within 5Hz below the tuning frequency of the enclosure. If it's a sealed enclosure, disregard.

The reason for the amplifier having two sets of terminals is for ease of wiring up multiple subs (same goes for the Crunch amp you are using), the terminals are internally wired in parallel, it'd matter not which + or - you use, assuming you get that amp and it suits your needs. It has plenty of power, but lacks a SSF if you have a ported enclosure.

• My enclosure is sealed, and the subs are not in separate chambers. From what you said, that amplifier should suit my needs. If so, then I will be purchasing it.

• yep, that Pioneer should work out pretty well. It's capable of more power than you need, but a little headroom is never a bad thing, if you know how to utilize a little self control and pay attention to any signs of pushing the subs to hard.