Svc snd dvc both 4 ohms help me please im a girl trying to figure this out

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

Svc snd dvc both 4 ohms help me please im a girl trying to figure this out

This question is not answered

Help me...... so I have a obcon 1500i amp 2 chan. With a12 in  4 ohm svc sub and a 12 Inc 4 ohm dvc sub I need to know what wire goes where my guy friends say I'm going to fry it some how if I hook it up myself so a lil help please just to prove that I  can do this thanks

All Replies
  • I don't want to say they're right, but it'd not be wise to attempt.

First off, the traditional ways of wiring the setup would yield either a 1.33 ohm or 12 ohm load. The amplifier might be able to handle running with the setup wired for 1.33 ohm, but it'd not be recommended and it "could" result in the amplifier's demise. Running with the setup wired for 12 ohms and you'll have no issues with the amplifier, but the power output of it would be drastically reduced, quite likely resulting in severe disappointment.

Now, lets for a second "ASSuME" the setup will work safely wired up either way. No matter what you do, one sub will get more power than the other, which isn't likely desired.

Then, since they are different in one being a SVC and the other a DVC, I'm betting they have more than just coil configuration different. Tell me, are they even the same brand and series subs? Even if they are, their T/S parameter will differ to some degree, and even more so if they are different brands and/or series of subs. This means they will behave differently than each other in the same enclosure. This could cause unwanted dips and peaks in output.  

Honestly, I'd pick one and get or build an enclosure for optimum performance and just roll with it. Chances are it'd turn out much better than trying to run the pair.

• You have to bridge that amplifier into a mono output mode and according to its specifications it Will put out 480 watts RMS into 4 Ohms. You cannot run it with a 2 Ohm load or you will overheat it. That svc subwoofer should work fine on its own but the dvc sub wired in series will be 8 Ohms or 2 Ohms wired in parallel. You cannot use the 2 Ohm option but you can use the 8 Ohm option. That amplifier will have its power output reduced by approximatly half with an 8 Ohm load on it or 240 watts RMS. You didn't list the subwoofer type or their power handling requirements in RMS and I mention this because you have to match the subwoofer to the amp. If the svc subwoofer can handle 480 watts RMS than use that one. If the dvc subwoofer will work fine on 240 watts RMS than use that option wired in series. In order to run two subwoofers at the same time they would have to be the exact same make and model or one will get more power than the other and it won't work well. You could purchase another dvc subwoofer to match the one you already have and wire it so there is a 4 Ohm load on that amplifier. Use Chrutchfields how too articles to help you with the actual wiring. They are loaded with pictures that will make it easy to understand.

• first off, is the amp connected to anything?  the previous replies seem to assume that it is already installed.

i've mixed different subs together and mostly it hasn't turned out well, but i've never done it on a single channel.  if you're just trying to prove that you CAN do it, well it's pretty simple really.  wire the subs on separate channels.

the 4 ohm sub will connect to the Left channel, just connect the Positive to Positive and Negative to Negative.  and the dual 4 ohm sub will be on the Right channel.  again, connect the Positives to Positive and Negatives to Negative.

it's already been said that this isn't the ideal way to run subs, and they probably won't sound great, but it will work and you have virtually zero chance of frying anything this way.