Wiring Help Please

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

Wiring Help Please

This question is answered

I need little help has been years since I have had Subs and never a DVC setup.

I just bought 2 Alpine SWR-12D4 Type-R DVC 4 Ohm and a Rockville RXD-M5

All the wiring diagrams I have found show wiring both speakers in a way that when you connect them to the amp it only uses a single + and - terminal on the amp how ever the amp I bought has Two + and Two - and according to the what I have read it is a Mono amp and stable to 1 Ohm.

So how do I wire this correctly that I don't blow anything up.

Verified Answer
  • Yes, your amp has a pair of + and - terminals, but they are wired in parallel internally with the amplifier.  Just go by the diagrams you've seen showing coils wired in parallel with the subs wire to one another in parallel resulting in just one run of wire to the amplifier and use whichever + and whichever - terminals you like on the amplifier. That or you can wire each sub to it's own terminals on the amplifier, resulting in two runs of wire.

There are pros and cons to each. One run uses less wire, but you'll need to use heavier speaker wire. Two runs allow you to use smaller gauge wire, but you use more wire.

If you go with one run, I'd recommend using 8GA speaker wire. If you make two runs, wiring each sub to it's own terminals on the amp, then 10GA speaker wire is plenty heavy.

So, the choice is yours.

Just make sure you have a beefy enough electrical system for that amplifier and set your gains and EQ correctly in order to prevent damage to the subs from clipping.

All Replies
  • Yes, your amp has a pair of + and - terminals, but they are wired in parallel internally with the amplifier.  Just go by the diagrams you've seen showing coils wired in parallel with the subs wire to one another in parallel resulting in just one run of wire to the amplifier and use whichever + and whichever - terminals you like on the amplifier. That or you can wire each sub to it's own terminals on the amplifier, resulting in two runs of wire.

There are pros and cons to each. One run uses less wire, but you'll need to use heavier speaker wire. Two runs allow you to use smaller gauge wire, but you use more wire.

If you go with one run, I'd recommend using 8GA speaker wire. If you make two runs, wiring each sub to it's own terminals on the amp, then 10GA speaker wire is plenty heavy.

So, the choice is yours.

Just make sure you have a beefy enough electrical system for that amplifier and set your gains and EQ correctly in order to prevent damage to the subs from clipping.