Which subwoofer?

This question is answered

Hi guys, I have a JBL GTO-501EZ amp, JBL says it has 350w RMS @ 4 ohms and 500w RMS @ 2 ohms. What I want to know is which sub would you recommend me between these two: JBL CSX-1400BP (350w RMS @ 4 ohms) and Kicker VCVR12 (400w RMS @ 2 ohms).

Thanks!

Verified Answer
  • Nice under rated amplifier, it's been tested and shown to be capable of over 700RMS@2 ohms, so around 500RMS@4 ohms my be possible.

Anyways, the amplifier lacks a SSF/Infrasonic filter, so the Kicker setup would not be ideal. If you were to use the Kicker setup and play any music with frequencies/bass below 25Hz (not too terribly common with most music), it'd result in damage to the sub.

The JBL being a band-pass doesn't need a SSF/Infrasonic filter for protection, however, it's output will be greatly exaggerated in the 45-80Hz range, any bass above or below that will be quite noticeably less.  

Depends on what your goal is, the JBL has the potential to be louder overall, but the Kicker will play deeper with more authority.

From what I've seen, BAND-PASS is a less recommended route, but again, it depends on your end goal.

What is your music preference, what vehicle is the setup going into, and what is the end goal for the subwoofer setup?

You have plenty of power on tap for a sealed setup to play loud enough for most listeners. I'm merely running a 400RMS 10" power base in a to spec sealed enclosure and it produces ample output, it just lacks in depth, which a larger sub could remedy.

Really, Rap/hip hop are the only genres I'd say perform better/more desirable with either of the two subwoofer setups you are looking into, all other genres tend to sound "better" running a sealed setup.

• use HI1.  

LOW is for aftermarket decks with RCA outputs.  HI2 presents an impedance load for factory decks that shut off when amplifiers are connected.  it won't affect you since your factory speakers are still connected.  if u used HI1 and your factory radio turns off, you would use HI2.

All Replies
  • Nice under rated amplifier, it's been tested and shown to be capable of over 700RMS@2 ohms, so around 500RMS@4 ohms my be possible.

Anyways, the amplifier lacks a SSF/Infrasonic filter, so the Kicker setup would not be ideal. If you were to use the Kicker setup and play any music with frequencies/bass below 25Hz (not too terribly common with most music), it'd result in damage to the sub.

The JBL being a band-pass doesn't need a SSF/Infrasonic filter for protection, however, it's output will be greatly exaggerated in the 45-80Hz range, any bass above or below that will be quite noticeably less.  

Depends on what your goal is, the JBL has the potential to be louder overall, but the Kicker will play deeper with more authority.

From what I've seen, BAND-PASS is a less recommended route, but again, it depends on your end goal.

What is your music preference, what vehicle is the setup going into, and what is the end goal for the subwoofer setup?

You have plenty of power on tap for a sealed setup to play loud enough for most listeners. I'm merely running a 400RMS 10" power base in a to spec sealed enclosure and it produces ample output, it just lacks in depth, which a larger sub could remedy.

Really, Rap/hip hop are the only genres I'd say perform better/more desirable with either of the two subwoofer setups you are looking into, all other genres tend to sound "better" running a sealed setup.

• Thanks for the answer! The setup is going into a Ford Focus II Sedan (pic below). I'm going to play rap, hip-hop, trap and a little bit of dubstep.

Anyway, so you're saying I have to go for the JBL, right? Cause that's what I was thinking too.

• You are in Europe ?

GLH Geeked

• Yeah, I am there at the moment. Another question, if I spliced into cables to get signal for amp, on what level should I use the amp, it has 3 levels (LOW, HI1 and HI2). It's a stock stereo.

• use HI1.  

LOW is for aftermarket decks with RCA outputs.  HI2 presents an impedance load for factory decks that shut off when amplifiers are connected.  it won't affect you since your factory speakers are still connected.  if u used HI1 and your factory radio turns off, you would use HI2.