Subwoofer Delay?

This question is answered

Why is there a delay with my subwoofers? They hit behind the beat. It sounds like the are too slow to keep up with the music. Maybe something with the RCA LOC?

Verified Answer
  • I Just went back and moved the subwoofers so they are firing the opposite direction now and adjusted the gain on the LOC. the gain was all the way up before i realized it was adjustable. I turned the gain way down on the LOC and one of those two things seems to have fixed my problem.

All Replies
  • Can you offer up some more information?

Car's year/make/model/OEM stereo option.

Subwoofer model number

Enclosure being used (ported/sealed, internal volume, tuning frequency if ported)

Amplifier model number

LOC model number

Where are you tapping into the OEM speaker wire for a signal to the LOC

Often, the issue is a phase issue. Some OEM systems have fixed delays and/or intentionally wire some of the speakers out of phase in order to shift the sound stage. So, if you had tapped into wiring with the signal out of phase, that could be the issue, The crossover setting can shift the phase as well. Lastly, the positon and orientation of the enclosure can affect the phase.

• 2008 saturn outlook

2 alpine sws 12d4 in a sealed box

Rockford Fosgate R500X1D amp

PAC SNI-35 Variable LOC Line Out Converter

I have the LOC taking signal from the right and left rear door speakers

• I Just went back and moved the subwoofers so they are firing the opposite direction now and adjusted the gain on the LOC. the gain was all the way up before i realized it was adjustable. I turned the gain way down on the LOC and one of those two things seems to have fixed my problem.

• Changing the orientation of the subs will change the phase. Chances are, that got them in phase with the rest of the system. If you would prefer the subs face the way you initially had them, you could  have merely flipped the phase switch on the amplifier from 0* to 180* or vice verse.

The gain being all the way up shouldn't have caused an issue with the phase, but likely would have induced distortion into the system. Dialing it down should have also caused the output of your subs to be less now. May want to reset the gain on the amplifier.

www.crutchfield.com/.../setting-amplifier-gain.html

www.youtube.com/watch

Lastly, I'm a little curious if you typed the correct model number of the subs, as those are DVC 4 ohm subs rated at 500RMS. Two of them can only be wired to a mono amp to present a 1 ohm or 4 ohm load, in which your amp isn't 1 ohm stable and is only rated to produce 300RMS@4 ohms.

Don't get me wrong, if they are wired to the amp for a 4 ohm load and they play plenty loud enough for you, then there's nothing to worry about. I just don't want you to have a pair of DVC 4 ohm subs wired to your amp @ 1 ohm and end up burning up your amp and/or blowing the subs in the process.

• They are at 4 ohms. I was planning on getting another amp at some point as well.