Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

15in subwoofer

This question is answered

i need reccomendations for a 15in circle sub, i have a KAC-9105D 1800watt amp,

reccomendations please

Verified Answer
  • flubba

Thanks a Ton! I get what you're saying now, in a mustang where would you recommend I put an 8" because there isn't an opening under the seats could I mount it beside a 15" just in a separate box? And what do you think of these or do you have a preference

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_236RTX88/MTX-RTX88.html?tp=49590 

i don't know what your front speakers are (geez you might have posted that info already... but i don't remember!  lots of posts!) so it's hard to judge what speakers would support them best.  to me, front speakers are ALWAYS the priority, but a decent-ish sub can make a merely passable pair of front speakers sound incredible...

in a Mustang, as far as the models i'm familiar with, you are better off splitting the difference.  forget the 15 and the 8... there's no place to mount them both.  figure out if a 10 or 12 does all your bass needs nicely, and go with that (or just the 15, if super loud deep bass is a priority).

there's no way of getting a sub in the front of a Mustang that i'm aware of.  i wouldn't even try...

a dual-sub system may simply be impractical in your case (unless you're willing to give up passenger space, which is something i avoid doing).  i could be wrong, but i don't think there is enough space there for anything other than an advanced fiberglass enclosure.

All Replies
  • Amp is 900W RMS at 2-ohms, so any roughly 1000W RMS (quality) DVC-4-ohm sub would be great.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Why just one 15? Why not two 12's? I like JL but your not gonna find one of their higher quality subs that are 15". Biggest would be 13.5. I'd say take a look at Alpine, Rockford, Diamond Audio, and Soundstream. Personally I'd lean towards Diamond Audio or Soundstream more but that's just me.

GMC Sonoma, JVC KD-A95BT, 2 Pioneer TS-D601P in doors, 2 Pioneer TS-G4644R in dash, 2 JL W3v2-D2 10 inch subs, Lightning Audio B4.250.2, Soundstream TX1.1300D

• Why not do 4?  

Basically you will have to take into consideration the mounting location (moist, baffling, suv, ect)  Next you want to look at what you are trying to achieve in the end, and what your musical taste are.

Havok Customs Owner/Operator "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Our background and circumstances may have influenced who we are...but we are responsible for what we become."
  • 4 gets really expensive. Not saying it's a bad suggestion but it's pricey and since the OP is only looking for one I doubt he wants to spend the cash on 4 LOL.

GMC Sonoma, JVC KD-A95BT, 2 Pioneer TS-D601P in doors, 2 Pioneer TS-G4644R in dash, 2 JL W3v2-D2 10 inch subs, Lightning Audio B4.250.2, Soundstream TX1.1300D

• Hey guys sorry im new here but Sheldonn i am also only going with one 15", the kicker l7. The main reason is everyone goes with 2 10's/12's ect. and i wanted something that would stand out, soo i have chosen to pull out my spare and build a spare tire box, i just came up with the idea the other day bc trying to fit a 15 has been sort of a problem.

I am also very interested in your feedback as well 

• Flubba, I too once thought about getting one of those L7's but after doing a little research decided against it. I'll give you some reasons why I decided against it.

1. A square isn't very strong. I have seen some horror stories of the square subs cracking around the surround and falling apart with a year of putting them in.
    2. I don't remember this thing exactly and I'm sure someone can better explain but, the sound waves (that's the part I'm unsure on. I don't think it's sound waves but something else) are circular therefore a circle is better at creating those waves than a square.
    3. Last but not least you will have more surface area, meaning more sound, with two 12's than you will with one of the L7's. You can do that for the same price with some decent subs too.

That is why I would stay away from square subs. Not saying there bad but to me they are just more of a gimmicky sort of thing then anything else.

• well just one fifteen because i have a custom box built already for my car, and two 12's would not fit.

I have a 2005 chrylser crossfire

does anyone have a particular 15' in mind????

• Is it a sealed or ported box? If it's ported what's the tuning frequency? What is the box's volume? Gotta know these before I can give you a suggestion for a sub. I'd suggest this for a 15. Or maybe this. How much money are you looking to spend? That would better help in suggesting too.

• its a sealed box;(

• Okay what is the box volume? Sealed is fine just gotta know the volume to be try to match a sub to the box. Also dimensions would help? Because some 15's sit deeper than others.

• Since you mentioned that you were interested in getting 1 Kicker 15" L7, I figure I'll throw my $0.02 into the conversation...

I currently have 1 Kicker 15" L5 (the little brother to the L7) in a custom ported box, powered by the Alpine PDX.1.600 mono amp.  I got the sub back in 2008.  Here are the pros and cons in my opinion:

Pros:  This sub can get very loud, and very boomy depending on the type of music you listen to.  I listen to rap 99.9% of the time, so when I got the sub, I thought it was the perfect sub for the music I listen to.  If you listen to mostly rap music, you should be pleased with the boom this sub brings to the table.  What size is your custom box that you have built?  Mine is between 4.5 & 5 cu. ft.  I originally had my L5 in a prefab box that was 3.25 cu.ft., and the sub beat that prefab box to death.  This 15" sub NEEDS a ported box of at least 4 cu.ft. to perform up to its capability. Hopefully your custom box is big enough.  And please, PLEASE use sound deadening (Dynamat, etc.) in your trunk, if you haven't already...

Cons:  This sub does not perform well to other types of music in my opinion.  Rapid-fire, double-time bass notes turn into a pile of slop with this sub.  I have an appreciation for Rock, and variations of Electronic music, and this sub can't handle the faster-hitting bass notes...they get lost and end up sounding very muddy.  Some rap music also has these rapid-fire bass notes that can get very muddy, but that's the trade off...more boom, less accuracy.

If I could do the sub purchase over again, I would get the 13.5 JL Audio W6...it's close in size to a 15" sub, but (hopefully) responds more accurately to bass in all types of music.

Just my thoughts.  The 15" Kicker is a great sub, but it's not perfect...hope this helps...

• calexan1
    The 15" Kicker is a great sub, but it's not perfect...hope this helps...

i loved your whole post!  great info... and i tend to agree on every point.

a 15 is rather large, so if your musical preference includes rock, a 15 may be a bit too massive to recreate snare drums and other higher bass notes accurately.  if you simply want deep, booming bass, nuthin beats a 15. 

the other option is a dual-sub system, which is tricky to pull off but if you have a 15" and say, and 8" (the 8 would need a band-pass filter to integrate well with a 15), you can have the best of both worlds!  the 8 will dedicate itself to the snappier bass (snare drums, deeper male vocals, percussion, piano strikes... a lot) and the 15 could handle the boom. kinda depends on your musical preference whether a dual-sub system would be beneficial or not, but i prefer dual-sub systems.

if a dual-sub system seems like something you'd be interested in, i can help you with that.  name's J Ro.  friend request me, or just add to the thread.  i do subs.

• J RO thats a genious idea i want a 15" kicker for the boom (and the show of course) but i thought it would like the higher bass notes. I have a mustang and could you put an 8" in the rear deck?

• flubba

J RO thats a genious idea i want a 15" kicker for the boom (and the show of course) but i thought it would like the higher bass notes. I have a mustang and could you put an 8" in the rear deck?

if you mount a sub free-air, it will have an enclosure the size of a trunk.  that's not beneficial if you want snappy, accurate bass (great for deep bass, tho).  for snappy bass, you'd want the small sub in a small box.  if there is any possibility of getting it under the front seat, go with that and love life!  (subs are more accurate when mounted equidistant to the driver's ear as compared to the front speakers).  

i've sort of positioned myself as "the sub guy" on the forum, but i don't feel that way personally.  i'd like to think i'm the sound quality guy, but there are so many differing opinions on what sounds good..  no one seems to agree on what sounds great!

• Well you're a heck of a lot more knowledgeable than i am and what do you mean by "free air" and why such a big enclosure