Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

2000 Buick Century $400 sound system advice/tips?

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

2000 Buick Century $400 sound system advice/tips?

This question is answered

I am pretty new to this stuff, but i think i have the basics down.  I'm in high school and just want to have something clean and loud but doesn't have to be perfect lol.  I'm not entirely sure about everything i need to hook up the amp properly, but i do have a 4 channel receiver for the amp, so i just bought a wiring kit from kicker that should work fine.

Rear speakers: cheap 6x9's that are replacing rear speakers that only work when it's warm and dry.  I live i WI so conditions are unpredictable lol.

Receiver: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-XqrjxxFKpwY/p_070XDM6370/Dual-XDMA6370.html  I know it's not for sale here, but it's for sale by me.

Sub: (2) http://www.crutchfield.com/S-JkLq9UZ0joV/p_113W3013PS/Kenwood-KFC-W3013PS.html  I'm buying my brothers and buying one sub to put in an extra enclosure in my basement.

Amp: http://www.hifonics.com/Hifonics-Zeus-ZRX-Amplifiers.html  it's the zrx600.4

all of this will cost me about $400 ($398) but i am not sure if it will actually fit nice or need some major work to fit the speakers or receiver.  Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated.  Really don't want to spend more if in don't have too because the speakers are going with the car when it finally dies.

Verified Answer
  • Yes, that would be a better setup, if the Sony head has 6way RCA outputs and highpass/lowpass filters. No, you do not need a capacitor. Noone really needs one.

GLH Geeked

All Replies
  • What about front speakers ? Way more important than rear speakers. You could even do without rear speakers, especially with alot of sub in the back. If the rear speakers are cheap, probably best to run them off the head only anyway, and get some good components to power with the front channels of the amp. What enclosure do you have for the 2 subs ? You probably need more power than the bridged rear channels of that amp will supply. Also, the total load to the bridged channels of most multichannel amps must be 4 ohms or more. Wish I had better news for you. So far, with the info you posted, this is all I have.

GLH Geeked

• well, my brother upgraded his rears in his grand marquis and is sounds great even though the sub is in the middle of the back seat.  The front speakers in the concert sound 2 system are plenty clear and  loud IMO and still work fine, i just need to put a lil' insulation in the driver's side now because it rattles slightly after 200k miles.  the rest of the car is in good shape yet.  I think i should fix the rear speakers because right now they're not even working.  The amp is CEA certified at 300 watts RMS x 2 channels at 4  ohms.  That is being a bridged 4 channel amp.  The speakers i mentioned before will be powered from the head unit like the fronts.  After hearing just one Kenwood running off of a 12 year old 300 watt Pioneer amp, i think it might actually be too loud.

After going through what you said, it sounds to me like i wont be able to hook a sub to channel 1/2 and another to 3/4 (F and R).  Like i said, i'm new to this and don't know much about amps so.... yea.  If i get components, they would probably be Rockford's

• Initially post was pretty unclear.

I'm sure GLH thought you were using two channels of the amp to the new rear speakers and bridging two to the subs.

I initially thought you were doing the same but only using one sub and keeping one in the basement for some reason.

Yes, you CAN bridge the amp to two channels to power both subs, but you would be MUCH better getting a mono amp that was between 500-800 (or 1000) W RMS at 2-ohms to power them.

(And yes, they will likely drown out the main speakers if they are only using head unit power.)

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Took your advice, switched to a 600 watt MB Quart mono amp.  Got a set of new components in the plan too.  Separate amp for the speakers, it's 2 channel and probably puts out about 50 watts or so x 4 channels.  would this head unit be able to cope with a four channels and the mono amp? http://www.crutchfield.com/S-yrazwbneQph/p_113KDC448U/Kenwood-KDC-448U.html

when i say watts, i always refer to the RMS so the MB is 600 RMS and the four channel is 50 RMS

[edited by: supercow at 2:22 PM (GMT -5) on Thu, Apr 12 2012]
  • supercow
     would this head unit be able to cope with a four channels and the mono amp? http://www.crutchfield.com/S-yrazwbneQph/p_113KDC448U/Kenwood-KDC-448U.html

Yes, it has front, rear, and sub preamp outputs.

I'm confused by your post, did you get a 2 or four channel amp for your speakers?

Model #s for the MB Quart amp, component speakers, and 4 (or 2?) channel amp will help us help you.

1998 Honda Prelude, Pioneer DEH-P9400BH + Sirius tuner, Kicker KS6.2 front components, Kicker KS6930 rear speakers, Alpine MRP-F300 for speakers, Alpine SWR-1022 in ported box, Rockford Fosgate Punch 501s for sub.

• supercow
    it's 2 channel and probably puts out about 50 watts or so x 4 channels

This is what confused me also.

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Sub amp: MB Quart FX1.600    Mono amp

speaker amp: Hitron HPA400.4    sorry for the typo, i was multitasking and must have mixed the two up.  it is a four channel.

components: VIBE Audio Black Air 5 (BA5-V2)  ( I know i said Rockford earlier but I've seen good reviews on Black Airs)

I really do appreciate the help and quick response from you guys! Big Smile

[edited by: supercow at 6:32 PM (GMT -5) on Thu, Apr 12 2012]
  • Ok, I'll try to weigh in where I can.

As long as the Kenwood HU has all the features you personally want (as far as aux inputs, ipod, interface, etc...), it looks good to me.  With 6 preamp outputs it will work well for building a system around.

The Kenwood subs and the MB Quart mono amp appear to be a good match( two 4 ohm SVC subs wired in parallel to 2 ohms at the amp, amp rated at 600 RMS @ 2 ohms), assuming the MB Quart puts out its rated power.  From what I know MB Quart is a respected brand, maybe someone with more first hand experience can confirm.

I'm having my doubts that the Hitron amp really puts out 50 RMS x 4 @ 4 ohms.  This is just based on the prices, pictures, and fuses (or lack thereof) I'm seeing.  I've never heard of this brand either.  I could be wrong though.  If someone can find its actual fuse rating then we could estimate how much real power it puts out.

I've also never seen the Vibe speakers, but I have doubts that they handle 100 RMS each.  I have no scientific proof to back that up, again just based on the limited info I'm finding on them.  Hopefully someone else reading this can offer some more insight.

So as far as HU, subs, and sub amp, you look good to go.  I can't say for sure on speakers and speaker amp. 

Just to clear it up:

1. Are you planning on putting component speakers in the front of the car? 

2. Are you installing rear speakers? (coaxials would be fine)  Model # ?

Good luck!

1998 Honda Prelude, Pioneer DEH-P9400BH + Sirius tuner, Kicker KS6.2 front components, Kicker KS6930 rear speakers, Alpine MRP-F300 for speakers, Alpine SWR-1022 in ported box, Rockford Fosgate Punch 501s for sub.

• supercow

Sub amp: MB Quart FX1.600    Mono amp

speaker amp: Hitron HPA400.4    

components: VIBE Audio Black Air 5 (BA5-V2)

I understand you are in high school and on a limited budget. If you slow down, take your time, save up and get 1 component at a time as you have the cash, you can have better quality things and your system will be very nice.

GLH Geeked

• From what i understand, the Hitron and vibe are still no-names, and i know those are almost never good, so thanks for the heads up.  I guess for now I'll just get the subs and stereo installed and just lower the bass levels until i can afford decent  6x9's in the rear and a set of standard speakers in the door instead of a component in the front door.  Maybe a name brand amp for the speakers then.  I should be able to purchase the speakers and second amp this summer because i should have a better job by then.  What i had in mind now is this:

Front speakers: Alpine SPR-13C

Rear: Pioneer TS-A6974R

speaker amp: Sony XM-4S  ( 4 x 50 @ 4 ohms)

And i would get subs, sub amp, and the stereo along with some wiring now.

btw, when it's all said and done, do you think i would need a capacitor or not?  If i do need one, what strength?  I think my brother has a cheap one in his trunk that a buddy gave to him and it isn't being used.

[edited by: supercow at 11:30 AM (GMT -5) on Fri, Apr 13 2012]
  • Yes, that would be a better setup, if the Sony head has 6way RCA outputs and highpass/lowpass filters. No, you do not need a capacitor. Noone really needs one.

GLH Geeked

• Alright Big Smile

Thanks a lot for the help and for guiding me in the right direction, I appreciate it!

• Missed a LOT of the thread.

MB Quart USED to be a good name.  Not really anymore since they were bought out by Maxxsonics (although Hifonics is still good).

HiTron is a budget brand and power ratings are suspect.

Vibe is actually a pretty good brand (Vibe Audio, that is - UK-based).  Lanzar sells a brand called VibeAudio (one word) which is not good.  Not sure which speakers you were considering, though.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?