Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Suggestions

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

Suggestions

• Okay so I have on more than one occasion suggested a whole system setup for people (so have many other members) and more often than not it's the same thing over and over again depending on budget. The problem I have is remembering where it's at so I could just point to it and say go here and do this so I search all over again for all components involved and re-type everything I said somewhere else. The idea I have behind this thread it to pull in all the info in my big head (as well as everyone else's) to one place.

I'd like anyone who is willing to give different set up suggestion we can put here with links and everything. I figure we can break it down into budgets. Maybe $0-200-400-600-800-1000 and so on. I figure cut it off at $2000 because that's the biggest budget anyone I have ever helped had. If everyone could just pick 2-3 different budgets and post for them it would be great. I'll probably spend the time to do each different budget but it's gonna take me a while. I'll also try to keep it updated somewhat if items are discontinued I'll update to something similar.

This would be great if we can get a big enough group effort and hopefully make things easier on all of us lol. So what do you guys say? Are you with me?

GMC Sonoma, JVC KD-A95BT, 2 Pioneer TS-D601P in doors, 2 Pioneer TS-G4644R in dash, 2 JL W3v2-D2 10 inch subs, Lightning Audio B4.250.2, Soundstream TX1.1300D

• I was told there was not going to be any homework.

• Well someone lied to you. That may have been true before I showed up but I'll make you work. Someone has to whip everyone here into shape lmao.

GMC Sonoma, JVC KD-A95BT, 2 Pioneer TS-D601P in doors, 2 Pioneer TS-G4644R in dash, 2 JL W3v2-D2 10 inch subs, Lightning Audio B4.250.2, Soundstream TX1.1300D

• great idea!  just... we're already trying to do it... and it hasn't caught on so good (which is obvious, since you had no idea it existed and suggested nearly the same thing yourself..)  no offense, i actually like your idea, but committing it to a price point that you believe is about right (2k?) is only going to limit participation.  would you only want my input on <2k systems?  that's an extremely limiting price point considering the nearly unlimited amount of money that can be spent on car audio. the 2k cap seems like a bad idea. it's a good number for a consumer to work around for a very good system, and i got second place to a 7 series bimmer with a 2k system once compared to the 70 grand spent on their system, but i've always wanted hydraulic lift pop-up dash tweets ever since... i don't know how on earth we were put in the same class!!!  i was a broke-*** enlisted Army GI going against a millionaire!

have you seen Tiger's "system post" thread?  he seems to have a similar idea, and i've contributed to it.  maybe just add to it, if you want.  i think he's great for starting the thread, but it's not advertised or well-known yet (and likely never will be.. too bad... but this is a forum, not an advertisement medium).  very similar to what you are suggesting you'd like to do.  maybe put a spin on it to differentiate it from TH's thread?  like only high-powered systems are invited?  don't know if that would be successful or not, but TH's thread isn't seeing a lot of activity so i don't see how limiting the audience would help, but maybe that's the problem... it could be segregated into systems of $100-$500, $500-$1000, $1500-$3000, $2000-$6000... i don't know what the best numbers would be!  but perhaps that would help generate interest, cuz it's a great thread, just not popular... and i don't know why.  it seems like the first place i'd go if i were visiting a forum for the first time, but the response so far has been weak.  still hoping it will build a following, tho... it's very neat and tidy!

[edited by: J Ro at 5:33 PM (GMT -5) on Mon, Apr 23 2012] linked to the SHOW OFF YOUR BUILD thread
  • LOL - even I'd forgotten about my Don't Overbuy thread - and my "Building In Stages" reply.

It's hard to do much more than this, b/c people have different opinions - i.e. I'm not into mega-bass and if I had $500 and a factory system, I'd go for HU, speakers and main amp.  Someone else might really want bass and would go for a 500W amp and two 12's with the stock HU and stock speakers.

Plus picking custom recommendations for everyone is half the fun (not sure what the other half is ...)

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Or maybe J Ro meant a completely different thread of mine ...?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• TigerHeli
    Or maybe J Ro meant a completely different thread of mine ...?

looking back, i don't even know which thread i was thinking of!!!  came up bust when i tried to search for it (too many returns).  you're a busy guy, that's for sure...  biggest complaint has gotta be rediscovering a particular post you made!  their are... umm... many.    "search by contributor" would be a big help!  but no, neither of those is the one i was thinking of.  it's the one where you said "that turned out to be a four-fer" (probably a misquote, since i got bupkis with the search engine) and has a bunch of system pics linked.  kinda recent, i believe... but can't refine searches to a time span either.  geez it bugs me... shoulda bookmarked it

• Got it -  http://community.crutchfield.com/forums/p/21228/250286.aspx#250286

Linked from - http://community.crutchfield.com/forums/t/23653.aspx (which is stickied).

It was a four-fer, b/c that one thread covered Shak's, ColumbusJBR's, your's, and Alex W's build - however, I just said that in the replies to the thread and deleted it as it supposed to be an announcement of the latest changes to the thread thing.  (Therefore the search engine wouldn't have helped you).

The idea came from lbd and was that we would allow members to make a thread to show up their system builds and then we would link to it in the main index thread and post a reply there linking it and I (or another mod) would edit the index to add the new build.

The entire idea has only been around since February of this year, and the actual index thread has only been around for a month.

I'm not sure this is what Big Teddy was going for, though - this says "Here's what I did with my 2002 Focus!"  (and hopefully we'll eventually have $500, $1000, $1500, $7500, etc. Focus systems).

I think BigT is going for "If you have $500 to spend, buy this", "If you have $1000 to spend, buy this", etc.  In theory, it's a good idea, but I don't know that a "one size fits all" approach works that well in car audio.  Crutchfield MIGHT be going similar to this with the proving ground idea - but you need to be able to ignore what they chose and spent and say "They added a HU and this happened, they added speakers and this happened, they added a sub and this happened - so for what I have budget for and what I want, I need to buy this".

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

• TigerHeli
    Linked from - http://community.crutchfield.com/forums/t/23653.aspx (which is stickied).

thanx!  got it bookmarked now. 

TigerHeli
    I think BigT is going for "If you have $500 to spend, buy this", "If you have $1000 to spend, buy this", etc.  In theory, it's a good idea, but I don't know that a "one size fits all" approach works that well in car audio. 

you worded it better than me, but yeah i'm thinking breaking it down into sub-categories based on amount spent may become a nightmare.  looks neat and tidy the way it is and i'm sure most ppl would rather find inspiration for their own install based on others with similar vehicles, rather than a price-point.  a one amp system with amped fronts and sub can vary in cost, but i'd figure a grand is reasonable.  and then another member may figure out how to do 4 15's for a grand... totally different systems but both cost a grand!  so i'd like to keep price out of the equation.  if nothing else, it makes it easier to follow the price discussion rules (like if the thread takes off, i don't want to MOD EDIT everything price related).