Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Alternator?

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

Alternator?

This question is answered

Can someone pelease tell me a Good web site ti find a Good alternator?  I have an 1997 Tahoe 4x4

With an kicker ix1000.1 pushing 2 Rockford p3d12's. 4 gauge power & ground. I will have 0 gauge wires  and another battery before the summer gets here but I need an alternator now .

Verified Answer
  •  

Mechman

• The one I got from pep boys 3 years ago started going out. I went to o'reilys and got a 145 amp alternator and it was slightly too big. I had other plans and my uncle went on ahead and got a standard 105 amp just so it would fit and to save money not knowing any better. Since its been installed (correctectly) I haven't been able to turn my radio past 35 and my amp controls is under 2&3 o'clock. And radio controls are at 0. Just to be noted I have an red top optima.  ( maybe because I'm on the iPad is why I didn't see the link)

• first things first.. just cause the gain is under the 3 o'clock position doesnt mean your amp isnt clipping i have mine setup around 3 clock and can still clip my amp at 30/50 on certain songs.thats still with my knob only at half! ... and thats a hard clip too. other songs full on the knob doesnt clip.... setup gains with a dmm and see what your at...

second.. crossover all the way down means only 50HZ and below is going to your subs.. not many people setup like that unless you got some amazing midbass drivers in your doors :S but as long as you like the sound of it its fine..

i like the way you setup your HU with the Sw level and bass settings.

Lastly your comparing 2 completly different amps. best thing i can suggest....

1.) do your gains with a DMM..on the kicker amp in your car.

2.) try the amp in your girls car.and redo the gains with a DMM.

3.) could just be your vehicles acoustics... do your headlights dim at all? if you have a bad alt or battery your lights will dim.. also could be just a bad connection.

also your comparing 2 different cars here.. ive heard a certain 12 in my car.. couldnt even heard it over my door speakers much.. then in a little saturn.. that poor thing was gonna fall apart..every vehicle is completly different.. :)

JVC KD-AVX44, 2 Massive Audio Hippo 8's , Hifonics Colossus going back in soon, MB Quart ONX216, Fli audio FL450S-F2, Energy ENC693x2 in rear deck, 6 gauge kit plus a huge 3 gauge kit. Custom built box for my 8's :)

All Replies
  • Can someone please tell me where I can find a good aftermarket alternator ? 

•  

Mechman

• igotbass
    I need an alternator now .

whoa, horsey!  why are you so convinced you need an alternator?  i'd imagine a 4x4 Tahoe comes with a pretty stout alternator.  what are your symptoms?  ..such as headlights dimming?  stalling? or is it just completely fubar?

that's a class D amp, so doesn't have the same power draw (about 80% efficient compared to around 50% efficiency with older class A/B amps) as a 1000 watt amp used to have.  nice amp, too.

• I agree with J Ro unless you need a new alternator because the one you have is bad/going bad it should be pushing out enough power for that amp. Are you having any problems like the one's J Ro mentioned?

GMC Sonoma, JVC KD-A95BT, 2 Pioneer TS-D601P in doors, 2 Pioneer TS-G4644R in dash, 2 JL W3v2-D2 10 inch subs, Lightning Audio B4.250.2, Soundstream TX1.1300D

• Dude, I already answered this. I assure you that you aren't going to find a better option than I already gave you.

• namosh

Dude, I already answered this. I assure you that you aren't going to find a better option than I already gave you.

i could suppose that a better alternative is the alternator currently installed is sufficient... seems like enough.   stock has gotta be 100 amps or more in a 4x4 Yukon!  my '95 Jeep came with a 130 amp, and i rewound it for 160 for more power than we are talking about here.  idk why, but you and i seem to clash at times... you're the other sub guy, so i'd expect more of a consensus between us.  best guess here is the stock alt is shot (vehicle IS kinda old) and just needs OEM replacement.  thoughts?

• Nah, in his other thread he simply asked for a good place to buy an aftermarket alternator. No other details. I gave him a link and then he starts this other thread. You are right, he most likely doesn't need a new alt for what he is running unless there is something wrong with his stock alt.

• namosh

Nah, in his other thread he simply asked for a good place to buy an aftermarket alternator. No other details. I gave him a link and then he starts this other thread. You are right, he most likely doesn't need a new alt for what he is running unless there is something wrong with his stock alt.

okay, thx for the reply.  i missed the OP's other thread.

• Bro your response didn't have a link in it ,nor th e last one

• The one I got from pep boys 3 years ago started going out. I went to o'reilys and got a 145 amp alternator and it was slightly too big. I had other plans and my uncle went on ahead and got a standard 105 amp just so it would fit and to save money not knowing any better. Since its been installed (correctectly) I haven't been able to turn my radio past 35 and my amp controls is under 2&3 o'clock. And radio controls are at 0. Just to be noted I have an red top optima.  ( maybe because I'm on the iPad is why I didn't see the link)

• igotbass
    Bro your response didn't have a link in it ,nor th e last one

i apologize for that, but this is not an issue i am fully capable of taking on myself.  i assure you, i am only interested in helping you!  but i don't know it all, so i sometimes request help from forum members that are specialized in particular issues... meant no offense, i swear.

• igotbass
    I haven't been able to turn my radio past 35 and my amp controls is under 2&3 o'clock. And radio controls are at 0

Are you sure you know how to set the amp gain correctly ? Could be part of the problem.

GLH Geeked

• Merged the thread - the Bro comment was directed at Namosh, I'm pretty sure.

Agreed, the alternator might not be the problem at all.

igotbass
    The one I got from pep boys 3 years ago started going out.

Confused - are you saying the alternator you got 3 years ago is going out now - or it already was replaced?

If you got a 105A alternator from Pep Boys, it should have a lifetime warranty and if it is failing and you want a 135A one, you should be able to just pay the difference in cost and get that.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Well, if it was directed at me then I'd have to say have another look.  The link is there. Big Smile

• Fair enough - he also said it might not have shown up b/c of his iPad ...

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs