Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

receiver to amp to amp

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

receiver to amp to amp

This question is answered

is it possible to connect four speakers to a head unit, then the head unit to a mono amp, which the mono has an RCA output where I can possibly connect it to a two channel amp for my 6x9's. is this possible or would all speaker need to be connected to a 4 channel amp. I'm not trying to have 3 amps in my car cause. Im trying to us two only where the fronts can work with the head unit as well as 6x9 to a 2 channel which is connect to the mono and not the head unit. haha. pretty confusing

Verified Answer
  • i might opt out on the 6x9 I'm not too sure yet. I have a 4 channel but it's my friends. so I'm not to sure yet. I might use that and run the 4 speakers in parallel or series to 2 channels and then the 6x9 to the other 2 channels. 

All Replies
  • it seems doable, but i'm not sure you'd want to. 

what HU do you have?  what is the mono amp?  does it only have one set of RCA jacks?  if it's got one dedicated for sub, i'd run that to your mono amp and a full-range output to the other.  otherwise you will have no ability to adjust the relative volume between your sub amp and your 6x9's from the HU.  that would bum me out. 

• jvc kd hdr44, alpine mrx-m100 mono, and sound ordinance m2100 2 channel amp. the jvc head unit has 2 RCA ports but if I use the one for speakers I think I might not be receiving sound from the head unit. I'm trying to get the 6x9 to work from the SO amp which is being ran through the alpine RCA out put port. 

• OK, use the 2 rear speaker wire outputs from the head to the front speakers. Use the front RCA output from the head to the S/O amp. This will cause your fader to work in reverse, but is your best option. Set the rear/SW RCA output to 'SW' in the head audio settings. Use that RCA output to your Alpine amp. Turn on highpass and lowpass filters. The highpass filter is fixed. You should set the lowpass filter on 85 hz. This is all in your head audio settings. It is preferable to use the crossover (highpass and lowpass) settings of the head.  Do you have the instruction manual to the head ? Set the LP filter on the Alpine amp above 85. Set the X-over on the S/O amp on 'full'. Do you need help with setting the amp gains ?

[edited by: GLH at 11:41 PM (GMT -5) on Sat, Apr 21 2012]

GLH Geeked

• I know how to do the amp gains. but if I do it that way. will all six speakers work. 

• OK, sorry. I thought you were saying you had 2 front speakers and then 6x9's in the rear. Use the 4 speaker wire outputs from your head to the 4 regular speakers, then everything else as above. Front RCA output to the S/O amp, S/O amp to 6x9's. Rear/SW RCA output set to 'SW' and connected to Alpine amp, Alpine amp to subs. Yes, all 4 full range speakers will work this way, but the 6.9's might be too loud to hear the other 4. If the 6x9's are in boxes, your soundstage will benefit if they are mounted in front. What are the other 4 speakers ?

GLH Geeked

• 6 1/2 kickers ds series

• What are the 6x9's ?

GLH Geeked

• same kickers ds series

• If it was my vehicle, and all 4 - 6.5" speakers were mounted in factory locations, I would sell the 6x9's and wire the 6.5" speakers in parallel, 2 to the left output, 2 to the right output of the S/O amp. This will give the amp a 2 ohm load and the speakers ~50 watts RMS each. You won't be able to fade front to rear, and your fader should be set full front, but I think your soundstage will be much better. If you do this, be sure and disconnect the speaker wire outputs from the head and tape them off. What vehicle is it ?

GLH Geeked

• 1999 Subaru legacy b4 in Japan

• Another option is to sell the Kicker 6x9's AND the 2 channel amp and buy a 4 X 50-75 watts RMS amp for the 4 - 6.5" Kickers. The only thing the 6x9's offer besides more power handling is more bass, and you have the subwoofer for that.

GLH Geeked

• i might opt out on the 6x9 I'm not too sure yet. I have a 4 channel but it's my friends. so I'm not to sure yet. I might use that and run the 4 speakers in parallel or series to 2 channels and then the 6x9 to the other 2 channels. 

• What amp is the 4 channel ?

Seriously, it's hard to understand why you want the 6x9's when you have the 4 - 6.5's mounted in the stock locations.

You could just disconnect the rear 6.5's and use the 4 channel for the front 6.5's and the 6x9's. Not sure why, tho. You have the 4 - 6.5's for the mids and highs. The 6x9's are only going to do the same. The sub(s) for anything lower. Are the 6x9's in boxes ?

GLH Geeked

• to be honest, I don't know why i want to connect the 6x9's. haha. but I figured im probably goin to leave them out. I might just keep them till I figure out a use for them or probably sell them. I thought since there is 6 speakers (stock) in the car I would replace them. I appreciate the help tho

• Sure.

There is 1 speaker in each door = 4 6.5" speakers, or 1 in each front door and 2 in the rear deck = 4 speakers or 1 X 4 doors and 2 in the rear deck for 6 speakers ? If it's the latter, are all the stock speakers 6.5" ? Is it a sedan or station wagon ?

GLH Geeked