How Long Does a Typical CD Receiver Last?

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

How Long Does a Typical CD Receiver Last?

• I have a Kenwood KDC208 (I think that is the model number) that is over five years old.  As of late, it sometimes has trouble ejecting discs and has also started to skip more.  The shocks on the vehicle are newer so I don't think that is the problem.  The CDs are clean.  I was wondering what the "typical" life span is for one of these lower cost, made-in-China CD receivers.   Is it time for a new one?

Thanks!

"Just a world that we all must share.  It's not enough just to stand and stare..."        Pink Floyd   On the Turning Away

• Probably.

www.crutchfield.com/.../Kenwood-KDC-208U.html (???)

There isn't really a time limit, but Kenwood had a big issue with the faceplates failing just after the warranty ended.

You could try cleaning the laser lens with one of those CD's for that, but generally it's the buttons or the display that is more likely to fail than the transport.

Then again - that deck supports USB and I rip all my CD's to MP3 - that should be an option for you.  I haven't used the CD player since I got this deck and really haven't missed it.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• How about those awesome Kenwoods ! ;)

GLH Geeked

• Not nice to bring a thread back from the dead just to point out Kenwood's questionable longevity. to be fair, my Alpine CDA-9833 began having issues ejecting discs towards the end of it's use after 6-7 years. Often had to help pull the partially ejected disc out. I blame all the dirt roads I drove on, but regardless, it developed issues too. All electronics are man/machine made and prone to wearing out over time.

• Wow is this post still on here??? As it turned out, that deck is still working fine and resides in a friend's car.  I tried a different lens cleaner from the one I had and that did the trick!!  

"Just a world that we all must share.  It's not enough just to stand and stare..."        Pink Floyd   On the Turning Away