MLV install question

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

MLV install question

This question is answered

I am preparing to install MLV in to my 09 silverado I am curious If I can forego the use of CCF and just use the factory padding under the MLV  so it would be, metal, some dynamat dampener ive already installed factory carpet pad, MLV, and then the Vinyl floor that my truck has. is this a good plan of attack? other suggestions?.  

Verified Answer
  • @ GLH  MLV stands for Mass Loaded Vinyl. It's used in sounded deadening as a sound blocker.

Anyways, while it would be considered "ideal" to use CCF (Closed Cell Foam) as the decoupling layer, as long as you are able to use a material to effectively isolate the body of the vehicle from the MLV, then it will work, at least effectively enough. I've used Jute, basically because I had plenty of it on hand and I didn't want to invest a lot into deadening a $100 car. Biggest drawback is it's absorbent, but when you have vinyl floor mat already, it's much less likely that moisture will be an issue, at least from liquid seeping down. If your truck has any holes rusted or drilled in it, then moisture could potentially find it's way into the carpet padding and with the vinyl layers on top, it's unlikely the moisture will escape, in which mold/mildew could occur.  

As for a suggestion... well, CCF would be the preference, but if it's not in the cards, carpet padding should suffice.

Lastly, this forum's days are numbered. While it's been some time coming (forum has been fairly dead for a while), there's not going to be any new member hoping in here to chime in and I don't see any of the old forum regulars coming back before the end. So, you may want to try seeking input on the matter elsewhere as well.

DIYMA is the forum I'll be using, may wan't to seek input there. There's lots of knowledgeable members on there and even a couple deadening vendors. Rudy, for example, is the owner and founder of sound deadening showdown. He seems to always be happy to offer up advice on such matters.

All Replies
  • What is MLV ?

GLH Geeked

• @ GLH  MLV stands for Mass Loaded Vinyl. It's used in sounded deadening as a sound blocker.

Anyways, while it would be considered "ideal" to use CCF (Closed Cell Foam) as the decoupling layer, as long as you are able to use a material to effectively isolate the body of the vehicle from the MLV, then it will work, at least effectively enough. I've used Jute, basically because I had plenty of it on hand and I didn't want to invest a lot into deadening a $100 car. Biggest drawback is it's absorbent, but when you have vinyl floor mat already, it's much less likely that moisture will be an issue, at least from liquid seeping down. If your truck has any holes rusted or drilled in it, then moisture could potentially find it's way into the carpet padding and with the vinyl layers on top, it's unlikely the moisture will escape, in which mold/mildew could occur.  

As for a suggestion... well, CCF would be the preference, but if it's not in the cards, carpet padding should suffice.

Lastly, this forum's days are numbered. While it's been some time coming (forum has been fairly dead for a while), there's not going to be any new member hoping in here to chime in and I don't see any of the old forum regulars coming back before the end. So, you may want to try seeking input on the matter elsewhere as well.

DIYMA is the forum I'll be using, may wan't to seek input there. There's lots of knowledgeable members on there and even a couple deadening vendors. Rudy, for example, is the owner and founder of sound deadening showdown. He seems to always be happy to offer up advice on such matters.