Do I Need to Install a Crossover?

This question is not answered

I have a 2017 Jeep Wrangler and purchased the following, but have not installed yet:

-Kenwood DDX374BT DVD Receiver

-4 Kicker 6.5 door speakers (2 for soundbar, 2 for dash)

-4 1-inch tweeters (2 for soundbar, 2 for dash)

Do I need to install a separate crossover since the Kenwood head unit will allow me to set crossover settings for each speaker?

All Replies
  • The headunit only has 4 speaker outputs. If you like Kicker, they make component speaker sets also.

GLH Geeked

• Honestly, I'd recommend returning the tweeters, as the coaxial speakers have integrated tweeters. Or, returning both and getting a couple pairs of components.

As for the whole crossover issue, YES, you will need to have some sort of crossover in place for the tweeters, as your HU lacks such.

Let me explain. That HU has high-pass filters able to be set from 30Hz-250Hz or full-range. Tweeters can't play that low with any sort of ouput without sustaining damage.

Now the HU has a shelf filter that Kenwood is VERY vague about, in which you can attenuate frequencies above a set pont. The options are from 1kHz to 12.5kHz with the attenuation able to be adjusted from 0 (full output) to -8dB.

This "tweeter crossover" that Kenwood has in their units that are not truly 3-way capable will not prevent any lows from being sent to tweeters. The coaxial speaker will have an integrated capacitor to filter out the lows being sent to their tweeters.

So, you will need to have some sort of filter specifically for those tweeters in place, if you opt to go the route you seem to want to take.

Personally, I wouldn't want (4) mids and (8) tweeters. Tweeters don't tend to have an issue keeping up with mids, so this planned setup would likely have ear piercing and over bearing highs.

• www.crutchfield.com/.../Kicker-DS6-2.html

www.crutchfield.com/.../Kicker-40CSS654.html

www.crutchfield.com/.../Kicker-43CSS654.html

www.crutchfield.com/.../Kicker-41KSS654.html

www.crutchfield.com/.../Kicker-44KSS6504.html

GLH Geeked

• Thanks for the replies! I pulled the trigger a bit early but can return what I've purchased so far. I'm fairly new to car audio and I'm realizing how many setup options there are!

I would like the component speakers vs. coaxial. Since the Jeep has tweeter and 6.5 mounts in both the dash and in the soundbar, what setup would you recommend? I saw the component sets that GLH posted (thank you), which include crossovers, so would something like that be recommended for both the dash and soundbar? Wouldn't 4 tweeters (2 dash, 2 soundbar) be a bit of overkill?

• Not at all, your Jeep already has two set of components, which is (4) mids and (4) tweeters. Going with two sets of aftermarket components would be the logical way to go. With aftermarket speakers, you stand to gain increased clarity. Overall output and low end extension may not be on par with the OEM setup though. I mean those factory speakers were designed to work well off low power and perform decent in your Jeep.

New speakers will immediately sound weak in comparison, as they will need to be broken in with many hours of play. They will begin to play a little louder and be capable of playing slightly deeper with a bit more authority, but once again, they may not be as loud overall or play as deep with as much authority. What they should do, is produce more detail.

But I will say this, you have a new Jeep with new OEM speakers, it won't be cheap achieving "better" results with aftermarket speakers. You'll need good aftermarket speakers and plenty of power, which means investing in an external amplifier. Lastly, you'll need to get a good tune, which that Kenwood has time alignment and 13-band graphic EQ with adjustable Q. One should be able to get a fairly decent tune with it, if they know what they're doing. I myself have yet to master tuning a system. LOL

• Thanks for the info sir. I will definitely go with two component sets of mids/tweeters. I'm also thinking about getting a powered 8" sub (maybe two or maybe one 10") for under the seat or in the cargo area. If I get an amp for all speakers, I'll just wire a non-powered sub(s) to it as well. Do you have an amp to recommend if I go that route? My wife has a 2014 Mercedes GLK with a premium sound system so I'm trying to get mine to sound better  :) This is going to be tough in a Wrangler as you said. But it must be done.

• I recommend separate amps for full range and sub. Class A/B 4 channel amp for components and a Class D mono amp for sub/subs. Do yourself and favor and bypass any stock audio components that might be present in the Jeep by wiring the speakers direct to the headunit with quality 16 gauge speaker wire and/or using quality RCA cables direct from headunit to amp/amps.

GLH Geeked

• This has been very helpful, thanks. I've been messing with my setup today and here's what I've come up with now, let me know your thoughts. I'd wire the 4 components to the 4 channel amp, the sub to the mono amp (bridged to 4 channel amp), with RCA patch cables from the amps to the head unit. That got expensive quickly! Big difference from where I started but I should have done this level of research first. Am I in the ballpark yet?

-Kenwood DDX374BT DVD Receiver (www.crutchfield.com/.../Kenwood-DDX374BT.html)

-2x Kicker 40CSS654 6.5 inch component speaker system (www.crutchfield.com/.../Kicker-40CSS654.html)

-10" Kicker CompVR 43CVR104 (www.crutchfield.com/.../Kicker-CompVR-43CVR104.html)

-Sound Ordnance M75-4 Amp (www.crutchfield.com/.../Sound-Ordnance-M75-4.html)

-Sound Ordnance M350-1 (www.crutchfield.com/.../Sound-Ordnance-M350-1.html)

• I do not know what is meant by, (bridged to 4 channel amp).

You need good speaker wire, power wire, fuses, etc., and a box for the sub.

Apparently you like Kicker speakers.

GLH Geeked

• Your 2017 Jeep Wrangler probably doesn't have as quiet of a ride as her GLK, but I'm sure you know what both are like. I've not been in a Wrangler newer than 08' and I've never even sat in a Benz. Still, no Wrangler I've been in had all that quiet of a ride, but pretty much all of them had more off-raod or all-terrain tires that weren't meant to be all that quiet on the road either. So yeah, road noise was a pretty big issue. Add to that many of them were driven without a top, so that there made them even worse.

So, if you ever remove the top (and it sounds like it when you speak about a sound bar), then you've got quite the challenge to get as good of a starting point for a system to thrive inside.

Her Benz has the premium 11 speaker Harman Kardon system. Chances are youstereo system has decent imaging and staging, not to mention should be geared more towards SQ. Granted, I've heard many complain about the sound of premium systems in various vehicles and even heard a few that weren't impressive in the least, so...

Anyways, I feel you have quite the challenge ahead of yourself. IMO, the gear you have/have selected, isn't something "I" would consider to be a strong contender for a good SQ setup. Still, it's all subjective.

Car audio is a luxury, so when someone wants to get very good results, it's never cheap. One needs good equipment, proper installation, a good tuning of the system, and adequate deadening of the vehicle (some of these newer vehicles actually have pretty good deadening from the factory). My cousin got a 2015 Silverado Z71 shortly after it was released and even after replacing the speakers with JL C5's, tossing in a pair of 12" Phoenix Gold subs, using Phoenix Gold amps and a Audison Bit 10 sound processor, the system sounded pretty darn decent and NOTHING was audible outside the truck with the windows up when at normal listening levels. Even when cranked up, no panel resonance occurred. So, I must say GM did a fairly good job deadening the truck.

• Thanks man, we'll see what it sounds like soon enough. I don't usually ride with the soft top down, but it is a soft top and Wrangler are fairly noisy. Do you think I should go with a 12" sub instead of 10" due to the noise? I understand that good equipment, install, tuning, deadening, etc. of course play a part but wanted to get your thoughts.

• The mids and highs are what needs to overcome the road/wind noise, not so much the lows.

GLH Geeked