Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

40 year Dream ready for media unit !?!

Crutchfield.com

Crutchfield.com
What's new at our website, and the place for you to give us feedback

40 year Dream ready for media unit !?!

• I hope it is alright to start a new thread here, I'm a semi-retired Auto Parts Salesman / Body Shop Co owner / Racer who after 40 years of building other peoples stuff; I am finally building my own Dream Ride ! Since I've moved a few times and have been out of the loop a while I have no Idea what all is available for automotive media. Besides the fact that this was never my specialty any way, as most of the time I listen to AM talk radio or FM Country Music on low volume, but I do know what I want. First I'd like to have an in dash stereo system  with these amenities: at least 7" flip out screen, AM/FM radio/ FTA Digital Television and DVD player, back-up/rear view camera capabilities, USB and MP3 plugs in the front and volume and tuning knobs, as well as pre-set buttons that work with both radio bands and television band !!! I don't need giant speakers or subs or boosters, just a plain 100-400 watt radio with 2 or 4 Bose type speakers that work well for a pick-up cab.  Any help or suggestion on a unit like this with these amenities ?!?
  • What kind of vehicle?

I see six things that will be problems in order of magnitude:

• FTA (Free-To-Air) Digital TV.  I don't think tuners for this exist yet.  Analog tuners are no problem, but personally, I haven't heard of any digital ones for cars other than possible USB dongle ones.  The analog ones really don't work well in a moving vehicle outside the downtown city limits.
    • TV presets - I haven't seen this, most TV tuners have an auto-scan and memory or similar, but most do not have pre-set buttons.
    • Volume knob might be hard to find - most of the large screen units are touch screen and have UP/Down buttons on the screen (they might have a volume knob below when the screen is retracted.  I haven't seen tuning knobs in probably twenty years.  Some radios LOOKED like they had tuning knobs (Kenwood notably), but you actually moved the knob from left to right (sideways not rotating) to select a different station.
    • I'm not sure you will find front USB and MP3 plugs on a 7" screen unit.  Personally, I prefer these to be on the rear and use an extension cable to bring them to a convenient front location.
    • Some radio's might claim to be 100W-200W peak, but the peak power means nothing.  You can get around an 80W RMS (20Wx4) or a 400W RMS amp, but you won't find a 400W RMS radio.
    • Bose typically does not sell speakers other than factory systems, but there are plenty of aftermarket speakers that would work well.

Everything else you listed is easily available.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Well Tiger, I just installed a 180Watt System in our 1969 Chevy K10 Suburban and it has Ports in the front for SD-CARD, MP3 and USB (Virtual Reality Sound Labs* #VRCD400-SDU) bought at Wal-Mart*. It also has a nice chrome VOLUME KNOB on the front that is so easily adjusted without having to take your eyes of the road; as well as 30 preset memory stations. It also came with a really cool remote control that is easy enough to use without taking your eyes off the road. This is a really nice CD/CDR player with the MP3 & WMA with ID3 Tag Multi-Color Display. Also the FRONT PORT USB and SD-CARD also have the built-in electrostatic discharge (ESD) protection.

I love the unit but it doesn't have DVD/FTA-TV/ REAR VIEW CAMERA and flip screen that I want for the show truck I'm building. I currently have a Casio* Model TV-970B FTA-TV/ AM-FM that sets up on my dash and picks up 8 to 12 local TV stations (even up on the mountain camping) on its  20.25 inch antenna without any problems, but myself as well as a few 100,000 Truckers will no longer be able to use these little treasures after 2/17/09 unless we can find a low output station still using analog; which is why I'm on the hunt for a replacement that will be part of an in-dash unit and double as a DVD player and Back-up Camera !!!  

By the way WALLY-WORLD had a good half dozen units with knobs on the front and media ports !!! Those stupid touch screens are dangerous and can take forever to fix if you accidentally touch the wrong spot, I figured that out in the store looking at a display unit that took 20 minutes to get back to the station we were listening to (knobs never fail !) !!! Thanks for the reply, but somebody has to make a good unit that has some decent amenities for all us old truckers that can't afford monthly Satellite Payments !  

• ALSO, my brother-in-law works for BOSE* and I can walk in to any store and buy speakers all day long, two setting here in front of me as I type. they even have a cool set of speakers that look like rocks that I can set over in the bed of the truck and run wireless. I can't wait to get to the Drive-in Picture Show next spring and set them out on the ground next to the truck and watch people try and figure out where the sound is coming from!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Okay - not trying to get in a contest with you, but some of my things got taken out of context ...

• I said you would have a hard time finding a tuning knob, not a volume knob - I have a volume knob on my Sony, but it is not a flip screen and I think a flip-screen might tend to obscure it.
    • I said I preferred the USB ports on the rear, not that you can't find them on the front (although again, I think a flip screen might obscure them.)
    • I SHOULD have said BOSE typically doesn't sell AFTERMARKET AUTOMOTIVE speakers - I realize you can buy wireless and home speakers from them.

No offense taken, and I really hope you prove me wrong and find exactly what you want and let us know what you go with.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs