Dissapointed with Finalist in contest

• I must say I am a little disappointed in Crutchfield's selection of the two finalists in the "You Dream It" contest. The contest description said that the dream system should bring happiness to someone else. I think Crutchfield intended for the nature of the contest to be humanitarian and bring happiness to others by the use of certain words in the contest rules. The entry I submitted was for a system to help my husband play background music and project his voice instructions while facilitating percussion events to children that are confined to hospitals due to illness, senior citizen retirement homes and the Girl and Boy Scout groups of America and other such groups. He does this strictly on a volunteer basis. Now, I am not saying the entry I submitted should have won, but how in the world did building a sound system used for mowing the grass win over providing happiness and joy to kids that very sick, senior citizens and other such groups? Besides it would seem to me that if you could hear a radio over the noise of a lawn mower it would be so loud that it would cause hearing damage. There is no way to be able to hear the music clearly and it surely would create some other safety issues as well. Also, it only brings joy to ONE person. Again, I understand that my entry may not have been the best, but it is certainly would bring more joy to people that could use a little spiritual uplift in their life and not for somebody to have fun while mowing the yard.
  • Julie had to leave for the day, but asked me to post this for her:

"Hi Lisa,

I’m really sorry you were disappointed in the finalist selections for the contest. I have been coordinating this contest effort, and I wanted to post a response to your comment.

You’re right that we certainly would have been happy to see some carefully envisioned and creative systems that contributed to humanitarian efforts. But we were also open to individuals who simply wanted to help out another person. 

In case you’re interested, here’s a little background. When we talked about how to structure the contest, we realized that we had to leave it open-ended. After all, we didn’t want to deter contestants who, like our first contest winner, were helping out a family member with some unusual needs, but not carrying out a larger humanitarian effort. We also wanted to encourage particularly creative applications of technology, as we mentioned in the contest guidelines.

In the end, I can’t tell you exactly what made some entries stand out for our panelists. But I know they gave it some real heartfelt thought and effort. This was probably the hardest contest to judge that we’ve had.

Please feel to send me a private message if you’d like to discuss further.

Julie "

[edited by: Jeff Kitchen at 3:07 PM (GMT -5) on Tue, Nov 11 2008]

• I couldn't find a link to the lawnmower contest winner - could someone post one, please.

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Hey Tiger,

The finalists can be found on the contest page here:

Holiday Contest Finalists

• Thanks Jeff - I think I saw the page, but I didn't see the Finalist 1 and Finalist 2 links.

Personally, I can't say I'm thrilled with the idea of putting 900W of audio on a riding lawnmower - seems like a better idea to me to get a pair of noise-cancelling headphones with a built-in MP3 player if they make that (probably someone does) or design that as part of the project.

But that's just my opinion ...

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• I hope the original message that I posted did not sound mean spirited because that was not my intention. As I mentioned before I am not mad or upset, so I hope my message did not sound that way. My point was that when we consider all the great electronic equipment that is available from Crutchfield it brings up endless possibilities of what we could do with what we have available. Then, if we take those possibilities and try to use them in a way to bring happiness to others I think that is a great idea and an excellent way to take advantage of the electronic equipment that Crutchfield has to offer. I suppose it just seemed a little strange or confusing that the panel would have chosen to install a sound system on a riding lawnmower. I am not saying it was a bad choice, but it does not seem that it is the best choice when there are so many other opportunities out there that could help more than just one person. Also, when you consider that the noise level on a riding mower is loud enough that manufactures recommend that you wear hearing protection while the mower is running, the choice becomes more puzzling. It would seem that choosing a system that brings happiness to hundreds of people on a reoccurring basis would be a better choice.  Anyway, I want to wish good luck to both of the finalist, and say thanks to Crutchfield for holding the contest and the great job that they do. My husband has been buying equipment from Crutchfield for a few years now and it is the first place he looks when buying electronic equipment.
  • lisa:
    Also, when you consider that the noise level on a riding mower is loud enough that manufactures recommend that you wear hearing protection while the mower is running, the choice becomes more puzzling.

That was essentially the impression I came away with - I wear gunshot ear protectors with a push-lawnmower since I have some hearing loss from rock concerts when I was younger and bullet-proof ...

The idea of having my earmuffs work better and being able to pipe music into them would appeal to me.

The idea of adding 900W to the lawnmower so someone could listen to it AND their music together ....

• I realize that I would naturally be biased in regards to this matter as I wasn't selected either(honestly,Im not even sure my entry even went through). I had really high hopes for this contest would help excite people about an area of technology that is suprisingly overlooked by most of us.  I really thought my idea to equip a PHEVvehicle (Plug in Hybrids) was pretty good. These automobiles get on average 150 mpg and the fuel doesn't have to be gasoline(Very Cool) I suspect we might see them mainstream in about 3 years and then there is my true favorite the EV models( Require No Fuel NO EMISSIONS.) I don't know maybe I was the only one who saw this as a great opportunity that could really be mutually benificial for Crutchfield as a company, the car owner, and all of us ecspecially our Earth which isnt going to around all that long unless we wake up and realize the impressive and exciting breakthroughs we have in alternative energy vehicles. I went to a car show several months back called the ALT Expo 2008 and I guess that is when/where I became so passionate about this contest and what I saw at the show. I know there would be some engineering/design challenges with a project like this, but I also know there are some really intellegent people in Califrornia that are very passionate about this and would of liked the opportunity to see it play out. Sadly this contest wasn't the way to accomplish this goal. I harbor no ill will towards the company and will continue to recommend them to friends and maybe a different situation will arise to support this idea. I will leave it at that and welcome any input from any community members or staff.
  • nfbmunky:
    ecspecially our Earth which isnt going to around all that long unless we wake up and realize the impressive and exciting breakthroughs we have in alternative energy vehicles.

As the great George Carlin said - "Save the Planet!!! Save the Planet!!! The Earth has been here for millions of years and will continue to be here for millions of years.  It's the PEOPLE we need to save - they might not make it.  (And then he supposed the Earth created people so it could invent plastics which will still be here also ..."

• You know whats the coolest thing about that lawn mower? It doubles as a massage chair when my dad cranks up the beats haha.