Results of Hi-fi 2.0 Mini Poll #1: In your car and "anywhere on the go"

Crutchfield.com

Crutchfield.com
What's new at our website, and the place for you to give us feedback

Results of Hi-fi 2.0 Mini Poll #1: In your car and "anywhere on the go"

• In our recent Mini Poll, we asked respondents to tell us where they do most of their listening. We intend to use the poll results to help us focus on the solutions that matter most to our readers.

Asked how frequently they listen in the car, 420 people responded:

Daily

73%

Often

22%

Seldom

4%

Never

1%

Turns out the car is by far the most popular listening post among our poll respondents. That's no surprise, given Crutchfield's car stereo heritage and the number of hours most people spend behind the wheel.

I wonder how many of you are still using your car's factory sound system. And how many of you are satisfied with the factory stereo's sound quality? If you haven't replaced your factory system with better-sounding aftermarket gear, what's holding you back?

Asked how frequently they listen "anywhere on the go," 352 people responded:

Daily

19%

Often

28%

Seldom

37%

Never

16%

Here's another question that perhaps was too vague and open to too many different interprations. What we meant was, do you carry an iPod or other portable music player around and listen to it just about everywhere you go?

Jim Richardson

• Jim R:
    I wonder how many of you are still using your car's factory sound system. And how many of you are satisfied with the factory stereo's sound quality? If you haven't replaced your factory system with better-sounding aftermarket gear, what's holding you back?

I replaced the factory head unit about a year and a half ago with a Sony HU and HD tuner.  I used the factory stereo with 6-CD changer for 5 years before that, and I should have done the upgrade about 5 years sooner (except then I would have missed out on HD and USB b/c they are newer car technologies than that).

To be honest, I didn't upgrade as much for sound quality (although the bass was sub-standard), as for more music options.  I didn't have more than one FM station that I really liked, and I never had the CD that I wanted in the car, and swapping out 6 CD's every other week was annoying.  Mainly I just wanted an MP3 deck that I could load several albums worth of music each on multiple CD's.  My new deck had a USB slot - which I thought was handy, but I would never really use.  Big mistake in judgement.  That is my main source now, and I load about 40 albums on a 2GB flash drive and listen for about 3 months before I have to load different albums.  (I am planning to get an 8 GB flash drive for $15 which would allow me to load all my favorite songs and listen to them in random play mode at the expense of longer index times (about 1 minute instead of 15 seconds).  The sound quality and bass response were drastically improved by the increased power output.

As far as what is holding me back from further upgrades:

• The deck and tuner cost me about $200 (from CF, of course).  It meets my needs.  There are times when I want a favorite song to be "just a tad" louder, but not often.
    • I don't want the expense, space loss, or complexity of a subwoofer.
    • I don't think a speaker replacement would make a dramatic difference to me, personally.  I think new speakers and an amp probably would, but that is roughly ($140 speakers, $120 Amp, $40 Wiring) a $300 upgrade, which is more than I spent for the HU and radio, and to me, I can't justify it. 

What we meant was, do you carry an iPod or other portable music player around and listen to it just about everywhere you go?

I'm not quite sure how I would answer this one either.  I own a Zen Mozaic and really like it, but I'm not someone with earbuds in my ears all the time.  Mainly I use it when I am working in the yard or waiting for an event to start or doing mundane things around the house, but I don't have it on all the time there either.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs