Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

7.1 channel analog audio

Home Audio

Home  Audio
Share thoughts on audio components, whole-house systems, cables, and speakers

7.1 channel analog audio

• Hello to all!

I have what I hope isn't too foolish a question. I recently purchased a 1080-P TV for my home theater. I have an older non-HDMI receiver which is capable of inputting 7.1 channel audio. I am in the market for my first BluRay player, but this is where the confusion comes in. My present speaker set-up is 5.1, and there is no hope for putting in 2 more speakers (spouse approval factor). I will be using the HDMI output of the player for the video portion and the audio portion would be routed to my existing receiver. If I use optical cable, I understand that 5.1 is the signal being input to the receiver. If I purchase a player with 7.1 analog output and connect it to my receiver for 7.1 input, will I gain anything in the way of audio fidelity with my present speaker setup or do I "lose" the extra 2 channels? No sense in paying extra for a player with 7.1 analog capability if I can't utilize it! Otherwise I would simply buy a player w/o 7.1 analog output and connect it to my receiver via the optical cable, right? 

Thanks.

• I believe when you use an optical cable you'll be getting compressed Dolby Digital and DTS signals instead of the new lossless formats which you will be able to use with the analog hookup. You will be 'missing' the rear two channels, but there is so little information in these that it shouldn't seem like you're missing anything. In fact, a well set up 5.1 system will usually outdo a badly set up 7.1 system.

I'd go with the player with the analog outs, just for the fact that you'll get a higher quality signal from it. Don't worry about the surround backs, too many people make those extra two channels such a big deal when they really aren't neccessary, especially if you don't have enough room to set them up properly. 

[edited by: freddie at 2:03 PM (GMT -5) on Tue, Mar 24 2009]

Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR502 | CD - Marantz CD5003 | Speakers - Wharfedale Evo2-10; going two channel for a while | Pics here

• Mike M:

Hello to all!

I have what I hope isn't too foolish a question. I recently purchased a 1080-P TV for my home theater. I have an older non-HDMI receiver which is capable of inputting 7.1 channel audio. I am in the market for my first BluRay player, but this is where the confusion comes in. My present speaker set-up is 5.1, and there is no hope for putting in 2 more speakers (spouse approval factor). I will be using the HDMI output of the player for the video portion and the audio portion would be routed to my existing receiver. If I use optical cable, I understand that 5.1 is the signal being input to the receiver. If I purchase a player with 7.1 analog output and connect it to my receiver for 7.1 input, will I gain anything in the way of audio fidelity with my present speaker setup or do I "lose" the extra 2 channels? No sense in paying extra for a player with 7.1 analog capability if I can't utilize it! Otherwise I would simply buy a player w/o 7.1 analog output and connect it to my receiver via the optical cable, right? 

Thanks.

Not a foolish question at all.  If your receiver doesn't have HDMI it probably doesn't have HD audio decoding either so you're right in looking for a player that will decode and send discrete channels to your receiver.

However, I don't believe optical (or coaxial) has the throughput to handle a discrete 5.1 PCM signal.  You'll need to stick with 5.1 analog on both sides.

• Indeed, 5.1 analog out is the way to go here. Chances are that the soundtrack for the movie is only a 5.1 native mix anyway. Otherwise, most players can be set to only output 5.1 from the 7.1 analog outs. The 2 extra channels are not thrown away in a true 7.1 soundtrack, rather mixed back into the remaining 5.1.

True - S/PDIF optical connections do not support 5.1 PCM audio.

-Gary

• Mike,What you can do is use the optcal output on the back of your new player,IF there is one. The player will output 5.1( choose the audio output when you set-up your new blue ray player. Some players will automatically DOWN -REZ the 7.1 to 5.1 through the optical output.IF you decide to upgrade your receiver AND get LOSSLESS AUDIO buy one of the following receivers. 1-Yamaha RXV 465 5.1 channels. 2-ONKYO TVSR 507-5.1 channel receiver.Check them both out on Crutchfields web site or through the web sites.
  • Or, he could just use the analog inputs to get the uncompressed 5.1 with his current receiver, which is more important than two rear effects channels which carry very little information anyway. Using a digital connection is not the thing to do here.

[edited by: freddie at 12:30 PM (GMT -5) on Tue, Mar 31 2009]

Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR502 | CD - Marantz CD5003 | Speakers - Wharfedale Evo2-10; going two channel for a while | Pics here