new system set up help!!

Home Audio

Home  Audio
Share thoughts on audio components, whole-house systems, cables, and speakers

new system set up help!!

This question is answered

Hi everyone. My dad used to collect a lot of audio equipment (speakers, pre amps, power amps, tuners, etc etc) so now that I'm in college i figured that instead of letting all this stuff gather dust, I could use it in my dorm. I scrounged up:

a pair of Cyrus 781 speakers - here is a random webiste i found with info on themhttp://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/mission-781-vintage-speakers-stands-143057780

a kenwood 107VR receiver - http://www.manualslib.com/manual/286996/Kenwood-107vr.html?page=31#manual

a pair of celestion "little 1" speakers

and a pair of wharfedale picture frame speakers (ppx-1) and matching sub (pps-1).

right now due to the types of speaker wires i had, i have sound going out of the receiver, into the sub and then into the cyrus speakers. since that sub is made for the weaker wharfedale speakers, i think it cuts back the power a little bit because the cyrus speakers don't get all that loud untill i turn the volume way up.

i listen to a lot of bass heavy music so i was wondering if i could get any advice on how to set my system up. Is this reciever powerful enough to power this many speakers? Should i buy a new receiver? if so, any suggestions? i also have some old Luxman pre amps and power amps that i could use but they are very large and heavy so i'd like to avoid that if possible. thanks in advance!

Verified Answer
  • Sounds like you have some great components, and I'm not sure there is a way you could wire any different with those components to improve the sound. The receiver should be pushing enough wattage to the speakers, but that receiver isn't really rated to work with passive subs. One solution I suggest is taking the passive subwoofer out of the equation and adding a powered subwoofer. This frees up the front left and right outputs to solely power the Cyrus speakers.

Anyone else have a suggestion?

All Replies
  • Sounds like you have some great components, and I'm not sure there is a way you could wire any different with those components to improve the sound. The receiver should be pushing enough wattage to the speakers, but that receiver isn't really rated to work with passive subs. One solution I suggest is taking the passive subwoofer out of the equation and adding a powered subwoofer. This frees up the front left and right outputs to solely power the Cyrus speakers.

Anyone else have a suggestion?

• Thanks for your input! I ended up just using a Luxman C-02 and M-02 combo with my Cyrus speakers. They sound great! I will definitely keep your advice about the subwoofer for future systems I set up. Thank you again!

• There is a good place for you to find useful manuals - Manualbirds.com, where there are thousands of PDF manuals, guides, and guidebooks online for you to download or view - which can help you with your precious antique.

Here is the link: http://www.manualbirds.com/