no place for rear speakers!

Home Audio

Home  Audio
Share thoughts on audio components, whole-house systems, cables, and speakers

no place for rear speakers!

• i have a big open room with  very  high ceilings. I have a TV with speakers in the front of the room that includes an LED TV, Onkyo Receiver, Boston Accoustic front speakers, Klipschorn center channel speaker and Polk sub woofer. All this equipment is in a large entertainment center that is 8 feet tall, and 12 feet wide.

My problem is that I have no space for rear speakers. Behind the couch that faces the TV is an open kitchen. The floors in my house are all tile and my house is on a slab so I can't run wires in the basement and I can't get up into the ceiling. I was wondering if rear speakers could be put on the top of my entertainment center in the front of the room, pointing towards the high ceiling?. I  have noticed that some of the demo equipment in retail stores where they set up on an aisle puts the back speakers in the front, but high up which seems to create the feeling of surround sound. I know putting rear speakers in the front is not ideal, but I wonder if it will be better than not having rear speakers?

• Well Onkyo employs a DSP Mode in their 2013 and newer units called "Theater-Dimensional (T-D)" which lets you place up to five speakers up front, conveniently by the TV, for the most realistic virtual-surround sound possible. I know Yamaha also has a DSP setting on their new receivers called "Virtual Cinema Front" which gives you 5-channel surround sound with higher quality and resolution by installing surround speakers at the front. So if you were using one of those two manufacturers with those DSP settings, that would work just fine; otherwise you probably won't get the best "surround" experience by having all your speakers installed up front.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

• Moved to home audio

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs