Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Outdoor Audio

Home Audio

Home  Audio
Share thoughts on audio components, whole-house systems, cables, and speakers

Outdoor Audio

This question is answered

Could use some recommendations --- I currently have a Sonos Connect:Amp powering (2) Polk Atrium 4 speakers on my outdoor deck.  Would like to move my music setup poolside in my backyard and expand the system to include (2) DT AW6500's (already purchased) and pair of outdoor sub's (have not purchased yet).  Realize the Sonos AMP would be too under-powered, so looking to purchase new receiver/amp, but would like to keep Sonos in the setup for music streaming.  

(1) Is it as simple as cabling from Sonos "Audio In" to new rec/amp "Audio out", to keep Sonos for music streaming?

(2) Any recommendation on new rec/amp to support (4) speakers and (2) sub's -- All 8 ohm rated -- I assume a 5.1/5.2 rec/amp would not work as the sub's would need to be 'passive' for outdoor use?  Thus, am I limited to a dedicated Sub Amp then cabling the (4) speakers in a series/parallel combination off the sub's?  Again, want to keep Sonos as my source for music.

(3) Another thought, not my first option but can I use Sonos Amp to power the (4) speakers and then connect a new dedicated Sub Amp for the Sub's?

In summary - recommendation on outdoor sub(s) and rec/amp (with Audio out support for Sonos)

Thanks -

Verified Answer
  • If you find a receiver to power the speakers and subwoofers, then you should get something like the Sonos Connect. You need to connect its audio output to an input on a receiver. This will get the Sonos audio into a system. The audio input on the Sonos Connect:Amp allows you to connect a phone or something to hear through the speakers connected to the amp.

Most receivers do not have powered subwoofer channels. They have preamp outputs for running the audio to a powered subwoofer. So you best option may be to get a receiver to power the 4 speakers so you can have decent power going to them. Then get a subwoofer amp to power your two subwoofers. Use the Connect to get this system playing Sonos audio.

If you use the Connect:Amp to power the 4 main speakers, then you can use its subwoofer output to run that audio to a subwoofer amp to power the speakers. This method will give less power to each of the main speakers, but should be enough for decent volume around the speakers.

Anyone have other ideas or suggestions?

http://www.crutchfield.com/bio/Paul

All Replies
  • If you find a receiver to power the speakers and subwoofers, then you should get something like the Sonos Connect. You need to connect its audio output to an input on a receiver. This will get the Sonos audio into a system. The audio input on the Sonos Connect:Amp allows you to connect a phone or something to hear through the speakers connected to the amp.

Most receivers do not have powered subwoofer channels. They have preamp outputs for running the audio to a powered subwoofer. So you best option may be to get a receiver to power the 4 speakers so you can have decent power going to them. Then get a subwoofer amp to power your two subwoofers. Use the Connect to get this system playing Sonos audio.

If you use the Connect:Amp to power the 4 main speakers, then you can use its subwoofer output to run that audio to a subwoofer amp to power the speakers. This method will give less power to each of the main speakers, but should be enough for decent volume around the speakers.

Anyone have other ideas or suggestions?

http://www.crutchfield.com/bio/Paul

• Paul - Thanks for the reply.  After further research, I am leaning toward the purchase of a second Sonos Connect:Amp.  With this I will setup one sub each, then have 2 main speakers each connected to each sub.  Use the subs to perform low Xover.  This to avoid any ohm load concerns.  Then I will use the "group" feature of Sonos to combine the music stream of  each, my only concern now is "audio sync" between the two units.