Recommended Equipment for Wireless/Bluetooth System

Home Audio

Home  Audio
Share thoughts on audio components, whole-house systems, cables, and speakers

Recommended Equipment for Wireless/Bluetooth System

• It's been nearly a decade since I've had to upgrade my home audio system. I'm considering some newer technology to replace my Denon A/V Receiver  and Cambridge Soundworks wired speakers in my new place. Previously I had wires running everywhere, but in my new place I don't have the luxury of fishing lines through existing walls, etc, etc.

I'm looking for some advice on how I can utilize some wireless or bluetooth speakers with an A/V receiver. Is that even possible? From what I've been researching, it looks like A/V receivers can be wifi/bluetooth capable but it only looks like they can pair with devices that are streaming the audio such as a tablet or laptop device. I don't see anything about the A/V receiver being able to broadcast the audio via bluetooth/wireless. 

Am I correct to assume that such an A/V receiver doesn't exist? If it doesn't, do I have any options to accomplish some type of unwired audio streaming from multiple devices (tablet, internet, television, video game console)?

Thanks in advance.

• While you can transmit an audio signal wirelessly, you cannot transmit the power (amplification) wirelessly. At least, not yet anyway.

So this isn't really a shortcoming of the receiver/amplifiers, it's a limitation of current technology. The work-around would be to have self-powered speakers (built-in amplification) but they would still require AC power or batteries that would have to be replaced/recharged.

Sonos offers a solution right now with a combination of their Playbar (front three channels), Play:1 or Play:3 speakers (surround) and wireless subwoofer. This system would also require either a physical connection to your network router (Ethernet cable) or the addition of the Sonos Boost for the wireless distribution of the audio channels.

Other manufacturers are currently working on similar solutions and should come to market with them later this year or early next.

Another option would be to use a conventional home theater receiver (like your Denon) and a passive surround bar. Unlike most powered sound bars, the passive ones will receive the 5 discreet channels of surround information & amplification for a much more convincing surround sound effect. While this is not as good as actually having the separate speakers in the ideal locations; it's the next best thing.  

I hope that helps.

Anyone else have a good recommendation?

www.crutchfield.com/Ryan

• If you are the same Goobers88 who posted on Comcast/Xfinity Board on 3/6/16, I can confirm but not solve that recording problem which I am having as well.  As I am not a Comcast customer, I cannot post on that forum.  If you are the same one, reply and I will leave more details.