Onkyo TX-NR727 Causing TV to Flash On and Off?

Home Audio

Home  Audio
Share thoughts on audio components, whole-house systems, cables, and speakers

Onkyo TX-NR727 Causing TV to Flash On and Off?

• Hoping I didn't just get a lemon...here's the background:

Just got my new Onkyo TX-NR727 receiver, got it & all the peripherals hooked up today, got most of the setup taken care of (the critical stuff anyway).  Was powered on & running through setup stuff for about a half hour, then watched some TV w/ dinner for an hour, then back to some last few setup items (setting the remote so it runs all the other boxes, ran a software update for my new Blu-ray player).  So it was running for at least 2 hours.  It's in an entertainment center, on a shelf w/ the cable box, and since I know receivers run hot the door was open (haven't bought a fan setup yet - in progress though).

I'm just starting into the b/r player's network settings and the TV starts blinking on and off.  Sound and picture both cutting out every few seconds/random intervals.  Tried leaving everything off for a few mins, then back on - does it again after a minute or two.  Tried a diff. power outlet (was plugged into a surge protector originally), no change.

Went through Sony tech support (both TV and b/r player are Sony), had me connect just TV to player/eliminate receiver, works fine, no blinking.  Had me do a factory reset also (aarrgghh!).  Reconnected everything through receiver, back to the blinking.

Oh - and I tried the included micduring initial setup to let the system figure out the best speaker settings (wanted to see how it  came out vs. mine), and the test tones blew my center speaker.  All my speakers are Onkyo also and I checked w/ Crutchfield tech support on the specs to ensure they'd be fine w/ the new receiver, but it seems those tones were too much at once?

So, 2 strikes already for this thing.  I'm hearing rumblings of HDMI and heat issues with these, so could one of those be my issue?

• That's definitely not normal operation. While certain model Onkyos did have issues with the HDMI switching, this model specifically has not had any widespread problems or complaints (that we've encountered).

Having said that, it certainly seems that at least one HDMI input on your receiver may be faulty. You may want to try a different HDMI source, (cable box, gaming console, etc.) connected to that same input to see if the issue persists. You can also try connecting the Blu-ray player to a different HDMI input. This will tell you if the issue is with that specific input, or with the combination of the Blu-ray player and any input on the Onkyo.

You can also try using a different HDMI cable from the player to the same input to see if the cable itself may be to blame.

Hope that helps.

Anyone else have a good recommendation? 

www.crutchfield.com/Ryan

• I have an Onkyo, but one of the models that had the HDMI issue. Onkyo was pretty easy to work with for me. They fixed my issue even though the warranty was expired. The HDMI was causing the TV to flash on and off and I had to cycle the power to nurse it along until it failed completely. It works now. I never had the tone blowing out my speaker issue that you had though.