Buying new receiver

Home Audio

Home  Audio
Share thoughts on audio components, whole-house systems, cables, and speakers

Buying new receiver

• I'm going to buy a new home theater receiver for the first time within the week. As I have been doing basic research, I came across a video that says I would have to connect my HDMI devices to the theater receiver (which I knew about) but then connect either a digital coaxial or optical cable out back to the receiver. I honestly thought that because HDMI supports audio, I would not have to connect an extra cable from my TV to the stereo and that it would share the audio to the speakers and the video to the TV. Could someone tell me if it certainly is necessary to do this?

My 2nd question is since I don't have a TV with optical output, would the coaxial really that much of a difference?

• The audio connection from the TV back to the receiver would only be required when the TV itself is the video source (Using the built-in tuner for OTA TV or unscrambled cable channels, Streaming apps from a SmartTV [Netflix, YouTube, Pandora, etc.]) If you'll be using an external cable/satellite box and streaming apps from an external device (Blu-ray player, AppleTV, Roku, etc.), you may not need to provide audio from your TV back to the receiver.

HDMI does support audio but, until a few years ago, it was only in one direction. So, an HDMI cable could carry audio from the receiver to the TV, but not in the other direction. These days, most home theater receivers and newer TVs support ARC (Audio Return Channel) over HDMI. If your TV offers an ARC capable HDMI input, you won't need a separate cable to carry the audio from the TV back to an ARC capable home theater receiver.

I hope that helps! 

www.crutchfield.com/Ryan

• Thanks, what you said really helps out. I swear I already knew about Audio Return Channels but just failed to mention it. My TV, being an older LED TV, does not have ARC capabilities. I've plugged a coaxial cable into the output on my TV with nothing on the receiving end to see if the volume would be stopped, but nothing happened? This wouldn't be the case when I actually get a receiver, right?

• Audio output options vary by TV manufacturer & model. You may need to go into the audio settings menu of your TV and turn on the audio output. When you do, you may find that the TV's built-in speakers no longer play. Other models will keep the built-in speakers active. You should be able to consult your owner's manual to confirm this or, wait until you get the receiver and try it for yourself.

I hope that helps.

www.crutchfield.com/Ryan

• Thank you very much for you help although I am now contemplating buying a new TV just for the full effect of 5.1