Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Cable box to receiver transmission, audio only (HDMI to Component or S-Video connections)

Home Audio

Home  Audio
Share thoughts on audio components, whole-house systems, cables, and speakers

Cable box to receiver transmission, audio only (HDMI to Component or S-Video connections)

• I want to connect my cable box (open HDMI connection) to my stereo receiver (older model no HDMI), the receiver is connected to in-wall speakers. Can I make this connection work, if so, what accessories will I need to connect to my receiver.  The receiver has component connections, as well as several s-video connections. Note: I only want to send audio through my cable box to the receiver (no video needed)

• Does your cable box have any sort of audio-only outputs on it? You should be able to run the audio-out from your cable box directly into your stereo receiver. If not, you could run the A/V from the box to your TV and then connect the audio output from your TV to the stereo receiver.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

• Searched Crutchfield but didn't see anything offered.  There are audio extractors available for HDMI.  I had the exact same issue with a lower end Blue Ray player in my bedroom.  You plug the HDMI from the cable box into the adaptor, and then another HDMI from the box to your TV.  There are a few different models available that offer different audio connections from a standard L/R patch cable to optical cables.  It still sends audio to the TV through the HDMI cable.