Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Cable signal blacking out through Denon AVR x2000

Home Audio

Home  Audio
Share thoughts on audio components, whole-house systems, cables, and speakers

Cable signal blacking out through Denon AVR x2000

• Hello!

First time posting here. Hopefully someone has an obvious answer Cool Running HDMI from Cisco RNG150 into my 2 year old Denon AVR X2000. For some months now it will black out after it has been on for a while, regardless of channel. The video signal goes away, for 2 or 3 seconds, leaving only audio. Happens frequently, sometimes several times a minute. Just for fun, I tried bypassing the Denon altogether and sent the HDMI cable straight to the Samsung TV, which we left for a day or two, where we had no issues, no blacking out.  

Thanks in advance.

• If only video is dropping out then chances are the problem is between the Denon and the TV as opposed to between the cable box and the Denon. It's a common misconception that bypassing the receiver indicates there's a problem with the receiver, but that's not necessarily the case. Removing the Denon from the equation removes part of the resistance in the circuit, so if the signal was at the threshold of dropping off it would then display more consistently since the lowered resistance means you get higher signal at the TV.

How long is the HDMI cable between the Denon and the TV? We frequently see this with HDMI cables over 10 to 12 feet, and if your run is that long I recommend either using an HDMI balun (or amplifier, basically) or converting to fiber optic. One of our product advisors would be glad to help you pick something out for your scenario.

If the run is NOT over 10', then try replacing the HDMI cable between the Denon and the TV to see if it's a cable issue. If the problem still persists, then you may have a problem with the receiver. If you got it from us, give us a call and we'll see what options are available.