Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Tivo not cable box???

Home Audio

Home  Audio
Share thoughts on audio components, whole-house systems, cables, and speakers

Tivo not cable box???

This question is answered

I need some help. Thinking about setting up another system around older system that I pushed to the side when I upgraded. I have the audio side covered and I'm good on blu-ray, but my questions come from the cable situation. I have Mediacom cable and I have a Motorola DVR from them in my main system. On my secondary system, I'm thinking about getting a Tivo DVR, but I'm clueless to how it works with my current cable. So, here are a few starter questions:

1.) I have a few movie channels, can I get them through Tivo?

2.) I have HD channels, will I get them all through the Tivo box?

3.) Is this a good way to go, or should I just get another box from Mediacom?

That's the start of it. Let me know what you all think. You came through when I set up my last system, let's see if we can do it again. GO!

Verified Answer
  • A Tivo will work if you install a CableCard, but bear in mind that the Tivo service isn't free, and the Tivo box is useless without the service.

I use Tivo and I like it a lot, the interface is excellent, and as a result it is easy to access content from a variety of sources, including Netflix and Hulu+ (integrated into the Tivo, as is YouTube access and Amazon On Demand). The unit can also access content on your local network, which a DVR from your CATV provider won't do. I use mine with an OTA antenna, so by using the Tivo I get a comprehensive program guide that  I otherwise would not have.

[edited by: Alex W at 12:22 AM (GMT -5) on Mon, Jun 18 2012]

RESIma

All Replies
  • A Tivo will work if you install a CableCard, but bear in mind that the Tivo service isn't free, and the Tivo box is useless without the service.

I use Tivo and I like it a lot, the interface is excellent, and as a result it is easy to access content from a variety of sources, including Netflix and Hulu+ (integrated into the Tivo, as is YouTube access and Amazon On Demand). The unit can also access content on your local network, which a DVR from your CATV provider won't do. I use mine with an OTA antenna, so by using the Tivo I get a comprehensive program guide that  I otherwise would not have.

[edited by: Alex W at 12:22 AM (GMT -5) on Mon, Jun 18 2012]

RESIma