Companion 3 Vs Companion 5 from BOSE

This question is answered

I am trying to choose between a Companion 3 and Companion 5, as a part of my computer speakers.

I don't find any difference in both expect for the 5.1 virtual surround sound and direct USB plug and play in the Companion 5. Dont know if there anything else but when asked the sales person he too said that same and also added that the speakers are designed a little bigger than the companion 3 to give the best effect of the 5.1 Virtual surround sound.

For a minuscule difference according to me at a cost of $125 seems to a be a over kill. 

my primary intent of buying a BOSE Companion 3 or Companion 5 is to listen to music and watch HD movies on my computer.

Do comment in with your suggestion as to if that 5.1 virtual surround really works well on a computer while watching movies ?

Thanks in advance

Sudhan

Verified Answer
  • I have had Bose Companion speakers for my computer since the first edition of the Companion 3's. With the 3's you would have to position the left/right speaker slightly outward to get the surround sound. With these new 5's that I have, you face straight forward to listening area and each left/right speaker stand has a speaker facing slightly in and slightly out. From someone who has literary grown up with two sets of 3's and now the set of 5's, you can tell a difference! :)

Another great thing about the 5's is the connection to the computer is through a USB, whereas the 3's where a 3.5mm jack. I found that if your running sound through the motherboard and not an after market sound card you would get interference at low volumes, like the sound when speaker wire runs next to power wire. Additionally, the connections from the speakers to sub have been upgraded. The 3's were thin speaker wire with cheap RCA plugs. Now the 5's speakers have a little thicker wire and plug in with an adapter style plug, which again gives a cleaner sound. 

In short, I have owned each Companion speaker system and currently jamming out the the 5's now. Yes, they are worth the extra money, and yes you will be able to see an improvement in the surround sound! :) Hope this has helped in making a decision. Anyone else stuck with these Bose Companions and can give a second opinion??

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Alpine iDA-305SBT w/Imprint; SPR-60C Front; SPR-60 Rear; 2 JL 10w1v2; Alpine PDX-5

All Replies
  • I have had Bose Companion speakers for my computer since the first edition of the Companion 3's. With the 3's you would have to position the left/right speaker slightly outward to get the surround sound. With these new 5's that I have, you face straight forward to listening area and each left/right speaker stand has a speaker facing slightly in and slightly out. From someone who has literary grown up with two sets of 3's and now the set of 5's, you can tell a difference! :)

Another great thing about the 5's is the connection to the computer is through a USB, whereas the 3's where a 3.5mm jack. I found that if your running sound through the motherboard and not an after market sound card you would get interference at low volumes, like the sound when speaker wire runs next to power wire. Additionally, the connections from the speakers to sub have been upgraded. The 3's were thin speaker wire with cheap RCA plugs. Now the 5's speakers have a little thicker wire and plug in with an adapter style plug, which again gives a cleaner sound. 

In short, I have owned each Companion speaker system and currently jamming out the the 5's now. Yes, they are worth the extra money, and yes you will be able to see an improvement in the surround sound! :) Hope this has helped in making a decision. Anyone else stuck with these Bose Companions and can give a second opinion??

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Alpine iDA-305SBT w/Imprint; SPR-60C Front; SPR-60 Rear; 2 JL 10w1v2; Alpine PDX-5

• One last thing about getting the most out of the Companion 5's. Make sure the USB is pluged into a direct usb port, not a hub like ones seen on the front of most desktops. Also disable/remove any audio effects/EQ programs that are usually from the integrated sound card on motherboard. 

• Thanks Kennedy for your prompt response, that indeed explains most of it for me your detailed response.

While reading through of the review, they had also mentioned that the Companion 5 isnt that great for listening to music as compared to watching movie.

It also said that the Virtual Sound makes it bad while listening to music, though i felt it was a little unusual to be designed with such a flaw. Does it kind of Echo/ or gives the shallowness while listening to MUSIC alone ???  Your Comments  

• Kennedy
    Make sure the USB is pluged into a direct usb port, not a hub like ones seen on the front of most desktops.

That generally is NOT typically a hub.  Most motherboards have a set of 4-8 USB ports on the rear and an additional 2-4 USB jumper's that can run to front USB ports.  Each PAIR of USB ports is basically a hub ...

Plugging the speakers into any of these ports shouldn't matter, but plugging them into a true USB hub is probably not a good idea.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Hello, 

I have a question about the control pod. Are u able to switch your control pod from Companion 5 to your companion 3. Is it functional on both system? Let me put it in this way, are their control pod the same things?

pls let me know .

Thx.