Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Headphones?

Portables A/V

Portables A/V
Discussions about smartphones, tables, MP3 players, and digital music

Headphones?

This question is answered

So I should be receiving my SGP tomorrow in the mail so I figured I would start looking around at head phones. I am looking at these right now. I'm leaning towards the Polk Audio UltraFit 2000 as my first choice. But honestly I don't know what to look for when it comes to head phones. I want good sound quality with nice bass response as well (that's why I'm thinking Polk). But I honestly don't know who makes good head phones and who doesn't. I've heard great things about Bose, but I've also heard bad. Everyone else is up in the air. I prefer the style of the Polk I mentioned too. But I like all of the styles I listed. If any one can chime in here and give me some advice/help I would greatly appreciate it.

GMC Sonoma, JVC KD-A95BT, 2 Pioneer TS-D601P in doors, 2 Pioneer TS-G4644R in dash, 2 JL W3v2-D2 10 inch subs, Lightning Audio B4.250.2, Soundstream TX1.1300D

Verified Answer
  • mike_242
    Of the models, the UltraFit 2000 do stand out above the rest in my opinion, simply for the secure over the ear design and the on ear controller.  If you plan to exercise, and use an arm band, you'll enjoy the extra cable that's included in the box, that's made shorter so that when you do use an armband you don't have 3' of extra wire to tuck away.

Uhh the Ultrafit 2000 don't have an extra short cord. That would be the UltraFit 3000's. But it's no big deal. I actually got the UltraFit 2000's though and really didn't like them (see review here). They weren't bad but they were uncomfortable because I have such a big head and they didn't sound very good to me but I did not do any burn in time what-so-ever and I expect the sound would have improved. I ended up getting the Sennheiser HD 439's and I love them. They have about 30 hours of burn in (let my MP3 player run a couple of nights and put the headphones in my sock drawer and covered them up lol) and bass is much better then compared to when I first got them. I am reviewing them further on the review I posted earlier if your interested (the review is mainly for the SGP but I'm also reviewing all accessories I purchased for it as well).

Thanks for your input though even if it is a little late. If you like bluetooth though and travel a lot but also want wired at times Sennheiser has these. Not sure if you have seen or heard them since CF doesn't carry them. If you have used those I would be interested in your opinion because I considered them but wasn't sure because like I said the last set of bluetooth headphones I had sounded like crap.

GMC Sonoma, JVC KD-A95BT, 2 Pioneer TS-D601P in doors, 2 Pioneer TS-G4644R in dash, 2 JL W3v2-D2 10 inch subs, Lightning Audio B4.250.2, Soundstream TX1.1300D

All Replies
  • What is SGP ?

I like full size over-the-ear style headphones because they trick me into thinking the sound is contained in the 'cuff' and no outside sound is getting in.

GLH Geeked

• Samsung Galaxy Player

• The Polk 2000's look good to me, but I'm not really a headphone person.  Sennheiser has a great reputation.  Heard good and bad on Bose myself.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• I also like the Sennheiser MM100 but I'm not sure about the bluetooth. I had a set of bluetooth head phones once that I used with my cell phone and if the phone was more than 3-4 ft. away there was static (barely noticeable but it was there). I figure the audio quality of BT isn't as good when compared to wired but I don't know. Anyone have an opinion? I still am leaning heavily towards the Polk's but I'd like some more info on them before I commit. Does anyone know if the Kevlar reinforced wire actually does help protect from cord failure or is this a gimmick? I have owned tons of cheap headphones and the cords were the first thing to fail that's kind of why I'm looking at the Sennheiser I mentioned before.

• Okay I have narrowed my choices down to three. Polk UltraFit 2000, Sennheiser MM100, and last but not least the Sennheiser HD 229. Still if anyone has info on the audio quality of bluetooth headphones I would like to know because the MM100 have a slight advantage. My biggest gripe about the 229 is the color. Polks are still looking good just not sure about quality. I have done some looking and people say the audio quality isn't what the expected from Polk while others say that the quality is great. Plenty of info on Sennheiser as being a reputable brand with excellent sound quality. Read plenty of good from Grado as well but they didn't have anything that stood out to me. If anyone has experience with these headphones your opinion would be appreciated.

• I'm a big fan of Sennheiser and I think the Sennheiser HD229 is a great set of cans for the money. It also comes in black, BTW.

RESIma

• Don't really like either the black or white but I think I'm going to go with the Polk's anyways. I prefer the behind the head band over the over the head one. I also like the controls on the Polk's which I hope works with my Samsung Player if not I will kind of be upset. It says it supports iPod but I'm sure it'll work.

• Actually now that I think of it could someone explain to me differences between ohm-impedance's when it comes to head phones? The Polk's are 32 where as the Sennheiser's are 16. I'm assuming higher would mean better sound quality. Is that right or should I not worry about it? 

• I'm assuming the higher impedance works the way it does in car audio, where higher impedance reduces the amplifier output and overall volume unless the head phones compensate with better efficiency.

I could be wrong, though.

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• This is my assumption as well but headphones is a whole new ballgame to me so I wasn't sure.

• Luckily, I've had the opportunity to hear almost every pair that you have on your comparison chart.   Of course, sound is subjective so there may be someone who doesn't agree exactly, but here's my breakdown:

- The Bose models you're interested in are great for being portable.  Of all the models you've listed, they do offer the most bass response.  The mids to me were okay and the highs were too bright.  To me, it sounded like an EQ that had been maxed out.

- The Sennheiser and Grado models are great.  They have a natural sound to them and deliver decent bass, while not leaving out the mids and highs.  I did not like the Grado's cushion, it felt like dried out foam, and wasn't comfortable.  The Sennheiser earpads were more comfortable, and the Bluetooth quality was great.  If I didn't know there was no cord, I would not have known a difference.  The only complaint I have, is that I want my headphones to be readily available any time I want them, and if those aren't charged, you can't listen to them.  If you're like me and travel alot, that's one extra charger to throw in your luggage. 

- All fo the Polk Audio models are fantastic.  I actually bought the UltraFit 500 to give away as stocking stuffers this past Christmas.  I've not had the first person bring them back and complain.  Of the models, the UltraFit 2000 do stand out above the rest in my opinion, simply for the secure over the ear design and the on ear controller.  If you plan to exercise, and use an arm band, you'll enjoy the extra cable that's included in the box, that's made shorter so that when you do use an armband you don't have 3' of extra wire to tuck away. 

I hope this helps.  Does anyone else have suggestions?

• mike_242
    Of the models, the UltraFit 2000 do stand out above the rest in my opinion, simply for the secure over the ear design and the on ear controller.  If you plan to exercise, and use an arm band, you'll enjoy the extra cable that's included in the box, that's made shorter so that when you do use an armband you don't have 3' of extra wire to tuck away.

Uhh the Ultrafit 2000 don't have an extra short cord. That would be the UltraFit 3000's. But it's no big deal. I actually got the UltraFit 2000's though and really didn't like them (see review here). They weren't bad but they were uncomfortable because I have such a big head and they didn't sound very good to me but I did not do any burn in time what-so-ever and I expect the sound would have improved. I ended up getting the Sennheiser HD 439's and I love them. They have about 30 hours of burn in (let my MP3 player run a couple of nights and put the headphones in my sock drawer and covered them up lol) and bass is much better then compared to when I first got them. I am reviewing them further on the review I posted earlier if your interested (the review is mainly for the SGP but I'm also reviewing all accessories I purchased for it as well).

Thanks for your input though even if it is a little late. If you like bluetooth though and travel a lot but also want wired at times Sennheiser has these. Not sure if you have seen or heard them since CF doesn't carry them. If you have used those I would be interested in your opinion because I considered them but wasn't sure because like I said the last set of bluetooth headphones I had sounded like crap.