Receiver to Walkman recording : what jack? do I use

This question is answered

With all of the exciting new technologies, my question may seem like that of a time-traveler from the ancient past.... the nineteen-eighties.

I have an old Realistic STA-2000 Receiver which I use to listen to radio and also my DVD player is hooked up to this receiver for great sound while watching movies or listening to music CD's.

I also have an old Panasonic, Walkman-type, small, handheld cassette player which still works great and I use it almost everyday for listening to teachings' on cassette.

Of course, almost no one still sells their teachings in cassette form anymore. Everything is audio CD now. But I prefer listening to teachings on cassette because I can stop the tape whenever I need to and when I return to it (even if it is days later) all I have to do is push PLAY to take up right where I left off.

Here is my issue. I want to be able to buy the teaching CD's sold by my favorite teachers, but then transfer the audio teaching onto a cassette so that I can listen to it on my Walkman.

I see that my STA-2000 Receiver (which is hooked up to my DVD/CD player) has a small hole on the front with the word "HEADPHONES" above. My old Panasonic cassette player also has a small hole which has "MONITOR 8" written over it. (There is also a tiny hole on the cassette player which is labeled DC IN 3V.)

Is there some kind of jack (is that the right word) that can plug into the receivers "headphones" hole, and lead/connect into the cassette player's "monitor" hole, so that I can play the CD and have the audio record from my STA-2000 Receiver onto a cassette in my cassette player? If there is such a connector, what kind is it... what is it called? Where do I get it?

Also, which hole on my cassette player would it plug into? The hole labeled "MONITOR"?

Any effort made to answer this would be greatly appreciated. ~ Kimmy

Verified Answer
  • First off, many MP3 or CD players will start back where they left off now, but I know what you mean on cassettes (and you can swap out a cassette and come back to it where you left off, and you can't with CD's).

The cassette player might have a headphone jack, but this is an output and won't help you.

The DC IN 3V is for running the unit with an AC transformer so you don't kill the batteries - so that won't help you either.

MONITOR 8 might be possible, but I don't know what it does.

I think monitor 8 might be for an external microphone and in that case you MIGHT be able to go from either the RCA outputs or the Headphone jack on the Realistic to that input and record that way.

If nothing else, the walkman should have a built-in mic that would work, but quality will suffer.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

All Replies
  • First off, many MP3 or CD players will start back where they left off now, but I know what you mean on cassettes (and you can swap out a cassette and come back to it where you left off, and you can't with CD's).

The cassette player might have a headphone jack, but this is an output and won't help you.

The DC IN 3V is for running the unit with an AC transformer so you don't kill the batteries - so that won't help you either.

MONITOR 8 might be possible, but I don't know what it does.

I think monitor 8 might be for an external microphone and in that case you MIGHT be able to go from either the RCA outputs or the Headphone jack on the Realistic to that input and record that way.

If nothing else, the walkman should have a built-in mic that would work, but quality will suffer.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs