Best iPhone 3gs headunit?

• Hey guys,

I have a 2005 honda civic with the factory headunit.  I definitely want a new head unit mainly for playing songs off of my iPhone 3gs.  When i've searched forums, I haven't really found recent posts discussing this issue, so I thought I'd post here.

I'm willing to spend the money to get a nice setup that meets these requirements

1) charge/play the iphone through the dock(I don't want to do an aux audio input)

2) control the ipod through the head unit, and display song(and maybe album art) on the LCD

2a) I'd like the LCD to be better looking for displaying text

3) have the ability to do blue-tooth integration for phone calls through the car speaker/stereo

It looked like the alpine IDA-x305 was the solution, but will this fit in a 2005 civic sedan?  crutchfield says it wont.  Also is this product discontinued?  Has the IDA-x305s replaced it?

Does anyone have any advice or experience with getting a nice iphone 3gs integration with a new headunit?  Since I'm getting a new head unit, I'd really like to get the best possible solution.

[edited by: J P at 11:50 PM (GMT -5) on Tue, Mar 16 2010] Changed to discussion.
  • The IDA-X305 came immediately to mind.  Apparently it is discontinued and the IDA-X305s is replacing it - which also gives you access to Pandora Internet radio over the phone if the phone is Internet enabled - nice.

As for the fitment - I really don't have an idea - CF says you have 9-13/32 of depth and the IDA-X305 is 6-1/8.  There is no flip-down face.  It seems unlikely that the harness or RCA plugs stick out more than 3 inches.

The only think I can guess is perhaps they say the IDA-X305 won't fit b/c it is discontinued, and the IDA-X305S they don't show either way b/c dimensions aren't published yet.

You might call an advisor and ask as they have info that I don't.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• thanks for the info.  Yeah I see some 305's on ebay for pretty cheap.  Not sure what else is different about the 305s.  If its just the pandora feature, that isn't that big of a deal.  I'd probably rather get a cheaper 305.

I think I might pull the trigger on the 305 this week.  I really wish there were better options for aftermarket iphone head units.  I was told that since so many factory stereos support this, there isn't a huge demand for an aftermarket version.  meh.

• I suspect that since it is an IDA-X305s, it is just the Pandora capability - if much more changed, they would probably have rolled the number to X405 or X306 - but I'm just guessing.

danbress
    I was told that since so many factory stereos support this, there isn't a huge demand for an aftermarket version.

Bah - That is MORE reason to include it in the aftermarket versions - I think it's more the case of most units supporting iPod and not wanting to specialize for the less common iPhone.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs